Doomed Deer

Y

YourDaddy

In a time when mule deer are on the decline due to loss of habitat, predators, and poaching, now we are faced with another factor, the Nevada Department of Transportation. That is right, NDOT is due to kill an unprecedented number of mule deer due to their four foot tall concrete barrier that now lies across one the largest deer migrations cooridors in Nevada, Pequop Summit. For those of you that don't know, the majority of the Area 7 deer herd migrates across Pequop Summit which is bisected by Interstate 80, one of the busiest interstates in the U.S. Before the installation of the barrier the number of deer killed on Pequop Summit is almost equal to the amount of deer harvested by hunters. Now a four foot tall wall of concrete stands in there way dividing the east and west bound lanes. What were they thinking? In a call to NDOW they stated that the concrete barrier was no taller that a standard rangeland fence. Fine, but deer can see through a fence and there isn't a vehicles traveling 80 mph along it. I urge all hunters to call NDOW and NDOT to voice their concerns.

I don't think that barrier is going to be as bad as you think it will. I have traveled over Pequop for years, and most of the deer that cross I-80 do it from the summit, and off of the east side of the mountain. Until they put in MORE high fences and give the deer access to cross under the freeway, are deer will continue to get hit.

I guess you failed to notice that there are several tunnels under the freeway along over Pequop Summit along with an 8 foot tall fence to hopefully direct them over the top. The deer will be fine. They mentioned this in the paper when they started that k-rail project. If you look close as you go over, you can see the tunnels and the funnels leading to them.

Later,

Marcial

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom