Double throat patch odds?

elks96

Long Time Member
Just curious, it seems pretty rare for a double throat patch on a buck.

How often do you find double throat patches?

Seen a few. There was one on the book cliffs me and friend saw with 2 really big and solid white patches that was really cool. The other ones I’ve seen haven’t been as big or as solid white patches as that buck but it sure is cool when you see them!!

I killed a velvet buck and under his summer hair he had a cool double throat patch
20210324_185310~3.jpg

I’ve never killed one nor have I ever glassed one up and I’ve seen a few Muleys in my day..,
hopefully one day I’ll get one…

Sitkas on the other hand I’ve killed a few, but that’s easy…

I've seen maybe four over many,many years of hunting mule deer and haven't been able to harvest one yet. Had one show up twice on one of my trail cams this year he was a good solid four point but we couldn't turn him up during the season.. They sure make a beautiful animal more beautiful

Almost killed one this year just because of that. I have a buck that I regret not mounting and was thinking about using the double throat patch buck cape to mount. I killed one that had a very faint double throat patch and just recently videoed one that was beautiful. Here are a couple of pictures. I would say double throat patch bucks are 1/100. Just my guess.
61766343478__535B052E-6D91-4760-AF4A-BF801A67E1E1.JPG
It's a little tough to see, but the third mount on the left has a small double throat patch.
fullsizeoutput_2ddd.jpeg

Cool I am thinking I might do an unofficial tally system and see what my results are. Mark every buck I see looking for a double or not.

I got this one year back. I have not noticed another one since. I will start by going back through all my trail cameras…

B7656E46-BC3E-45FB-AC49-39D1440B4EAE.jpeg

2A1C9672-C5D7-4F77-9D37-1FFF1A355EF0.jpeg

It would be interesting to have a better understanding of this genetic trait. I hunted an area this year where I'd estimate that 10% of the does had a double patch. I saw several bucks and none had the double patch. --------SS

Everyone knows that 7.9% of mule deer bucks have double throat patches. Pretty common knowledge. It’s like bonding a corner tapped delta transformer. My 8 year old knows that. Good grief. Get back to that letter about the one shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom