Dove Opener, who's going?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
It's been more years than i care to admit since i've shot the Dove season opener. Used to never miss at least a few good shoots every year but for some reason, lately, i just haven't been. Couple buds and i are headed for the desert over by Susanville. Hoping for warm weather to hold the birds.

Who's going out opening day?? Is there a special stamp needed?

Joey

i'm going ,,,, always go its a must :) you need the game bird heritage stamp or maybe its called the harvest information stamp its the free yellow stamp goes on the lower right hand bottom corner of the back of your license ,,,, dont forget it my dad did once and got a ticket

Thanks TC!!

I hope Ayoobs hardware here has the stamps! a buddy of mine had to drive down to Greenville to get his B-zone deer tag app's the other day. They were out here in town.

Good shooting to you guys!

Question, Do you usually limit out on less than a box of shells??
Tell the truth!! :)

Joey

do i usually limit out on less than a box? not usually but i have lotsa times to ,,,, my ideal opening morning i'll burn between a box and a half to three boxes of shells for a limit and it will take about 15 minutes with birds everywhere :) good shooting statistics wise naw ,,,, but man thats fun :) i like it when theres so many birds u cant decide which one to shoot ,,,,,

+1 :) "i like it when theres so many birds u cant decide which one to shoot ,,,,,"

...and no matter how hard you try, you simply can't get shells in your gun fast enough :)

How about the rest of you guys, who's going and what do you like about a good dove shoot?

joey

We don't get many doves over here on the coast, although the wife feeds the quail and we have about 20 doves that feed with them. The first time she goes to town and I'm home alone after Sept.1.......:)

Eel

On the years that we have birds........I try to go everyday of the season.

It's a good workout for the dogs and me.

It's been many years since I have failed to limit out with less than a box of shells, but I usually pick my shots and avoid the marginal ones.

You need the Upland Game bird stamp and the Harvest Survey stamp to hunt dove in CA.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-09 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]Nickman, I doubted your comment so went to the on-line hunting regs, like i should have in the first place, and you are correct. Looks like some part of this below was ammended, a new "thing" for this year, but not effective until 9/24/09

No big deal for me as i hunt quail and pheasant yearly anyway but am i wrong that in the past, you didn't need the upland stamp to hunt Dove? Thought they considered Doves migratory, therefore not under the "upland" category but seems they found a way to close that loophole :)

Another way to get a buck out of the sportsman!!

?313. Upland Game Bird Stamp.

Any adult License holder taking resident game birds including Chinese spotted doves,... ringed turtle doves, of the family Columbidae; California quail and varieties thereof,... mountain quail... partridges including the chukar and other varieties, ring-necked pheasants and varieties, wild turkeys... and migratory game birds including common snipe, WESTERN MOURNING DOVES, white-winged doves, and band-tailed pigeons must have a current state upland game bird stamp affixed to their license.

Amendment filed 8/25/09; effective 9/24/09.

Joey

Hey Sage. I go out past Susanville every year and can usually scrape a limit. You might try a few decoys in dead juniper trees around the water, works great later in the morning. Good luck!! BH1

Sage......Actually, the Game Bird stamp has been a requirement for dove season for many years.....like 10 or so.

That particular ammendment you posted is to add something else......that takes effect AFTER dove season, so I would suspect it has added something about upland birds specifically.

If you have managed a dove season without a Game Bird stamp, in the last 10 years, you have dodged a pretty stiff ticket.

Nickman, Thanks!! as i said in my opener, it's been more years than i care to admit. ;-) It was before i got sober and that's been 12 yrs this August.

I have to "go some where" to hunt them. There are darn few birds here, few guys do scratch out a few but pretty secretive, even now with the warm weather. It'll be 60 miles or so to where we'll hunt. Usually, last 12 yrs, i just never paid attention to the opener as was busy or saving for deer season. Been hankering to get out and do it again for a few years now... This year made a point of getting it done. Hopefully, my buds won't back out!

Joey

We are leaving Monday morning for our annual dove hunt in the Calexico area. Last year was nothing less than fantastic, best year I have ever seen in CA. Early limits for all, huge numbers of white wings and I am hoping this year is more of the same.
The photo below was taken the 3rd day morning, I was selective and shot a limit of whitewings. You can see the Mexican border in the background. Good luck to all, have fun and bring plenty of shells.

Jim

4a97e86925c707cc.jpg

Another photo of my son-inlaw Jason and myself. It was a tough rigorous hunt but we made to the end with a little luck and a ice chest full of Corona's.
4a97ebd23e3246f2.jpg

Were going to go for the evening hunt somewhere in the desert. You never know if it will be good or not. Just depends on the year. My son bought a robo decoy a couple of years ago and it was pretty impressive how well it worked. Good luck to all.

Jim, Is that your normal dove gun? Looks pretty sweet!! What is it besides a great looking over/under dove thumper?

NECALI, Kinda wish i had a few decoys. i see how they could work. Looks like the weather is gonna hold for us this year! Good luck on your hunts!!

Down near Livermore where i grew up, my Grandparents ranch had several great spots to shoot doves and i'd hit them all. One problem was the A zone deer season was always going on at the same time and aside from the opening day, deer trumped doves. I carried my shotgun in my rig anyway and at times or places i'd pull it out and have at it, deer and deer hunting hunting be damned, i love shooting those little gray rockets! :)

Joey

Joey,

That's my all upland type bird gun.. Dove, Pheasant, quail..
I also shoot skeet and clays with it.
It's a Browning Citori Sporting Clays Model 525 20 ga.
The gun fits me like a glove and it makes me look like I can really shoot well.. I pull up on a bird, slap the trigger and they fall down.. Not sure how that happens but it works.
Truth be known I bought it for my wife to shoot skeet and the stock is a little to long and I didn't have the heart to cut it.

Jim

Jim, It's a good looking son of a gun, everybody needs a shooter shotgun, some just are a little nicer than others...

Too bad how that stock turned out to be just a tad too long for the wife, eh? I bet that busted you all up :)

Joey

Sage,
If you can't find a license in Chester, Wallyworld had plenty this evening when I got mine. They also had refuge res. draw apps.
Good luck Tues. There's plenty of water out there if you know where to look. All the Sunflowers out in "Big Mud" have been dry and dead for quite some time. But things look a bit better headed further north towards Ramhorn, just in case you haven't had a chance to get out there. If you were thinking of heading out toward Concamp off Deep Cut, don't bother. Some idiot has posted it and fenced it in. The first gate has been compromised, but it is still fenced and posted.
Norkal

Norkal, Thanks for the good info. Was able to pick up my stamps here in Chester today. Being appointed fearless leader of our little 3 man gang, i guess i'm supposed to point and find the way to shooting nirvana. :) Was planning on going thru Ramhorn, maybe back toward the Shinn R. country if don't see something i like on the way in. I don't often get in that country as i usually hunt 5A when i can get drawn and i'm one of the few who don't hunt chucker.

One decent morning shoot,... sure would be nice. Thanks again!!

Joey

Sage, Good luck Tuesday.

Hate to admit it but I've created a great lil honey hole on my property. My horse trough overflows and runs about 50 feet. Been 5-10 there at any one time all day and evening for weeks. Walked down to feed the horses about 11:00 PM a couple of nights ago and jumped/flushed about 4-5 out of their roost over the hay stack. Probably 50-75 total using it but they come in singles and pairs every year. I leave it alone after the opener. 2 years ago I started throwing seed out after the opener and had doves til Oct 23rd. Pretty kool for the mountains.

I think the Euroasians stick around longer.

Do they count towards your 10 birds?? I've heard they don't because they aren't spoken to in the regs.

"I think the stick around longer.
Do they count towards your 10 birds?? I've heard they don't because they aren't spoken to in the regs."

Good Question Slayer! Euroasians? I've yet to see one so, they are up in this area then, huh?. I hear that they are bigger and have a marking across the back of their neck. Do they count toward the daily bag limit? Let's hear some input, Please & Thanks!!

Joey

Sage......You are "baiting" me into a mild tirade against our DFG.

This "Eurasian" dove issue has been going on for at least 4 years and once again, the (supposedly) smartest state Fish & Game department in the Union, cannot get around to addressing it.

Our local wardens say that you can shoot the Eurasians, but that they will be counted in your bag, but they admit that they have recieved no official word......see how important it is?

About 20 states consider them a SERIOUS pest to native birds, and have no season on them at all.

They are very aggressive birds and will eventually displace a lot of native species........except in California, where our DFG thinks that these birds, being tourists, will only hang around Starbuck's, thereby posing no threat whatsoever, to our native populations.

I would double check with a warden in your area and if you get some solid info on this, post it up!

"Sage......You are "baiting" me into a mild tirade against our DFG."

What, again?? :)

Norcal mentioned refuges and i know Model_70_guy, among others, lives down south so begs the question; If you hunt the refuge or down south, do you have to use non-lead shot for hunting doves?

Doves are all about low base 8's, maybe 7 1/2's. I just can't imagine shooting steel at these guys. Don't believe i ever heard of the topic being brought up though... What's up with that??

Ounce and an a eighth of lead baby...saa-moked that dude!!!:)

Joey

>Our local wardens say that you
>can shoot the Eurasians, but
>that they will be counted
>in your bag, but they
>admit that they have recieved
>no official word......see how important
>it is?
>
> About 20 states consider them
>a SERIOUS pest to native
>birds, and have no season
>on them at all.
>I would double check with a
>warden in your area and
>if you get some solid
>info on this, post it
>up!

Nick,

I have heard both - They will be counted as part of your daily limit and I also heard that they are not included in daily limit. So that being said.. I think I will include them in my daily limit until I talk to a warden in Calexico area since that is where I would be getting a ticket if I'm wrong and don't count them in daily limit. I do know I see more of them each year than I did the previous year.

>Jim, It's a good looking son
>of a gun, everybody needs
>a shooter shotgun, some just
>are a little nicer than
>others...
>
>Too bad how that stock turned
>out to be just a
>tad too long for the
>wife, eh? I bet that
>busted you all up :)
>
>
>Joey

Well I would have cut it down a little for her until I shot the gun. I took her skeet shooting and my first round I shot a 22 and the second round I shot a 24 and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I have another 20 ga that she uses that fits her better soooooo... I aint givin that little over & under up. It's the only shotgun I shoot anymore.

>One decent morning shoot,... sure would
>be nice. Thanks again!!
>
>Joey

Joey,

If you guy's are up for a bit of a drive you are more than welcome to join us and I can promise you more than a decent morning shoot. Not only mourning dove but white wings and euraisians and the more people you have the better the shooting.

Jim

OK!........I just read an online article from the Fresno Bee on dove hunting.

It stated that there was no limit on Eurasian doves and they posted a link to DFG regulations, wherein Eurasian dove are SPECIFICALLY listed as "no limit".......so do NOT count in your daily bag.

I went with "Dove hunting in Ca" to get the story.

My most humble apologies to the DFG....in this regard.

Still seems like 2 field wardens and a supervising Lt. might have been able to answer the question.......?

I also looked on the F&G website and it states:
"10 white-winged or morning doves in aggregate;
no limit for Eurasian collared-doves.
(there is no open hunting season on
common ground-doves, ruddy ground-doves and Inca doves)

Sooooo... I guess it's game on for the Eurasian dove.

Thanks Guys! :)

Jim, That's a sweet offer and i thank you. Maybe someday, i'd really like to do that once anyway!!

Two still two curiosity issues could help this ol boy out. What are you southern Kali guys putting in the air after them doves?
Also for the Northern gang closer to home, are you seeing good numbers of these euroaisian doves among the mourning variety?

Thanks!! Joey

Joey,

I am going to be putting holes in the sky with skeet loads 8's or 9's with my 20ga.

I just checked the weather for Calexico and the high today is a balmy 117 degrees. For the dove opener on Tuesday it looks like it's going to cool down to a chilly 108 with scattered thunderstorms..

Guess I better bring a jacket and I hope the dove don't all leave with the cold snap and fly on the other side of the BIG fence.

70_Guy, so you'll be shooting lead? I thought there was the Condor laws that prohibited lead south of some unmarked line?

Also for the local yokal's up here in the N. East, Euroaisian Doves, how many are you seeing or can i expect to see some? Thanks!

Joey

Here on the mountain side of Janesville the Euroasian's are thick. They are bigger than the Morning Doves and a hell of a lot more aggressive. Noisy too. I've had them hang out here all year long but their numbers are greatly reduced in the winter.
Norkal

Joey,

It's around the central part of the state that has the lead ban. I looked on the f&g condor map to make sure.
So for now it's still lead for dove.

>>>>
After nearly a full year of public testimony, discussion, and environmental analyses, the Fish and Game Commission modified the Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game (Section 353, Title 14, CCR) in December, 2007 to prohibit the use of projectiles containing lead for hunting deer, bear, wild pig, elk, and pronghorn antelope in areas designated as California condor range. Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.

If you hunt in this area, you will be required to use nonlead projectiles to hunt big-game and non-game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition.

NOTE! Lead Projectiles are still legal for hunting upland game species within the nonlead zone
<<<<

right off the DFG page.

OK, Great!

Now lets figure on getting a mess of these guys. I'll admit that they are not near my favorite game bird for the table. Dark meat and not that much of it!

Dad used to like to fix them in a kinda wet wild rice dish. I liked them like that as they seemed to make the rice taste better :) No matter what, i'm gonna clean, cook, and eat my birds. If they are asked for or demanded by another in our group, i'll relent easy enough but peeve on those who waste game. I'm in it for the shoot and fun we will have on the day but will not disrespect the birds by wanton waste.

How do you like them fixed? Please none of the "next, throw the birds and mix away, eat the frying pan" jokes :)

Joey

Actually dove are one of my favorites to eat.

I cook them a couple of ways:

Coat the breasts in Seasoned flour (salt/pepper/garlic powder/cayenne pepper)and fry the breasts like chicken.

On the grill marinate them in teriyaki/minced garlic/peanut oil for a couple of hours and cook on the grill. I baste with marinade as they are cooking. Another variation of this recipe is to wrap bacon around the breasts before you grill them.

Try not to overcook them breasts, worse thing you can do to them. They are not very big and they cook very quickly.

I also think that dove are GREAT on the table.....I wish they weighed a pound apiece!

I refuse to eat duck or pheasant.

Dove, quail and chuckar are excellent, to me.
Roasted, b-b-qed, or in the crock pot with mushroom soup mix. Over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

Main thing is to not dry them out while cooking.

cut the meat off each side of the breast,,, terryaki pineapple marinade at least 3 or 4 hours or even over night,
skewer it on a toothpick with a water chestnut or a cocktail onion and wrap it in a half of a strip of bacon and grill them up,,,, veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good the only bummer is prep time ,,,, it takes quite awhile to put them together ,,,, deer liver strips the same way are good also thats the best dove recipe i've ever eaten

Joey, To answer the Euroasian questions, they are at least 50/50 here in Janesville. Less so in the desert.

The mature ones are easy to tell apart. I've always stopped at 10 but now I know better.

I read the NM regs the other night and they don't count them either but you have to stop after 15 mourning doves (their limit) Basically you can't continue huntin after you limit on mourning doves even if you say you're huntin Eurasians.

Thanks Guys for the recipes on dove. Some sound similar to the way i've had duck or goose prepared but all sound good! Though we may differ in our opinions as to table quality of these birds, a mess of them will be looked forward to later in the week. Think it was Nickman who mentioned he thought they were better than Pheasant. Guess that's proof that the good Lord gave us all our own opinions :)

Slayer, That's good news i guess. Even though one of our 3 man group has now canceled out, we'll still be heading up desert. Be nice to get a few of these as a bonus shoot if nothing else.

Joey

Well guy's my gear is all loaded up and getting ready to head over to the airport to pick up my cousin and go see how the dove prospects look in the Calexico area. Good luck and hope everyone has a good shoot.

Jim

Happy to report that we had a great time on our Dove hunt. We hunted the north side of the Shinn Ranch, coming in from Ramhorn springs. Though we didn't limit, i got 5, we both made some great shots and i pulled down a double just before we left.

Some guys near us had better shooting but it was obvious that they camp and hunt that same spot every year. We talked to half a dozen guys or so that didn't do as well as we did. Not really that many birds around and we thought that strange considering the warm weather. Including all the birds we saw total, couldn't have been more than 50-60. No disappointments though, glad to be able to go and would do it again!

How'd you guys do? Any reports of lots of birds?

Joey

Glad you had a good time. That's what it's all about. We only got about 45 minutes hunting in this evening but got a couple each. Didn't see as many as usual. Ran into some friends after the hunt on the way home and had a good visit.

I was gonna go here in UT, but I'd already had my fill of shooting doves before the season opened (eurasian aren't protected). lots of shooting this evening around here tho.

glad you got a few sage.

>I was gonna go here in
>UT, but I'd already had
>my fill of shooting doves
>before the season opened (eurasian
>aren't protected). lots of shooting
>this evening around here tho.
>
>
>glad you got a few sage.

In California you can only shoot eurasain doves during dove season. They are protected.

we had a fine time but it was really slow,,,, i got 7 birds with 11 shells,,,,,, i would have rather got 10 birds with at least 2 boxes :) but still beats working,,,,,

Sage,
Sounds like things were slow over at Shinn, but it sounds like you had a good time. I got the same info from a number of my friends, some hunted Petes Valley, others hunted private land. We got lucky. We were done before 0930. Had my ten with 7 shells left from the first box. Hey for me shooting Doves thats darn good! Shot my Chukar gun, a Dehann 20ga side by side. Open and imp. Cyl. tubes in place for the shoot. Have not had a chance to get out again and probably wont until this weekend. If things go as usual I'll be lucky to fire a shot by then!

Guys one and all! It's been a real nice thread and i thank you for making it so. Lots of good info here including some on where to go, what to look for, what's legal and what counts toward the limit, even how to cookem up once you got them!

Personally, there was a lot of gratification in resuming a tradition that i had somehow let slip away. Yeah, i didn't put a lot of birds to the dirt but i was pleased enough with my shooting. Just going, that was the main thing. Kinda like going buck hunting, it's getting out and being on the hunt that really counts. Thanks Again!

Joey

HAD A GREAT SHOOT LAST NIGHT OVER A POND.....COULD NOT KEEP SHELLS IN THE 870 PUMP......HEALTHY BIRDS.....ITS A BLAST.....YD.

Joey - We had a heck of a shoot again this year. We hunted 3 days and no shortage of birds. The weather was very hot and we even got some thunder storms on opening morning and a few sprinkles of rain which made it very humid but the hot weather goes with the territory. We changed fields every shoot and it was easy limits for all and no one field was better than the others, just lots and lots of birds.

We ended up with 21 Eurasians between us but this year however the white wings were scarce. We are already looking forward to next year so we can do it again. Happy to see you had a good time, dove hunting is probably my favorite as my dad started taking me along when I was 3 years old so it's always been a family tradition.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]Jim, Great to hear of your outstanding hunt. I got to thinking about how you might have done after i posted my last note of thanks. Being you were such a great part of this thread, my apologies to you, hope you didn't feel slighted.

I've long heard of the great shooting to be had and wanted to maybe travel south if a guy only knew where to go. Maybe some year! As of now, it's get ready for deer season. In a couple weeks, i'll be hunting off and mostly on until November. Hope to get a few Mountain quail while chasing bucks. I found several good bunches last season...but that's another thread!

Joey

>my apologies to you, hope
>you didn't feel slighted.
>
>I've long heard of the great
>shooting to be had and
>wanted to maybe travel south
>if a guy only knew
>where to go. Maybe some
>year!

Not feeling slighted at all Joey. Should you ever decide to make the trip to the southern part of the state let me know and I can certainly steer you in the right direction. The only real problem I find with hunting dove in the Imperial Valley is a guy gets spoiled real quick. There are so many birds in the area it's very difficult to be in the wrong spot. If it's slow where you happen to be shooting just head in one of the directions that you hear lots of shooting. There is always plenty of room for everyone and I cannot figure out why some guys decide to join one of the dove clubs in the area. Seems like a big waste of money to me since there is so much open land to hunt on. Good luck on your deer and quail hunts.

Jim

I had a real good shot over a pond myself. There were more birds in the last ten minutes than flew all day. The only downfall to my day was the two rattlesnakes I ran into walking back to the truck in the dark.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom