Down Jackets?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've thought about buying a down jacket for colder weather. I am debating this because I think they make a bit of noise. Are they very noisy or have they made jackets that are pretty quiet. Do you prefer a thicker down jacket compared to adding an extra layer? Thanks.

Too many unasked or un-answered questions. Really depends on how you want to use it. Down is a fabulous insulator, and worth every penny in super cold environments. How do you intend to use it, and will you be sweating a lot like hiking where it could trap a lot of moisture? As an outer layer, the secret to its trapping warm air is loft and puffiness. To sit still there's nothing better to stay warm. the outer fabrics are much quieter now, than old days of plain nylon, and/or Gore-Tex lined nylon. All the major manufacturers offer clothing in it, and now Kuiu and some of the other hunting brands are too. LL Bean, REI, Eddie Bauer, Mountain Hardware are just some of the suppliers.

You want at least 600 fill power, and preferably 850+ for the best you can get. There are a lot of advanced materials out there, but none as warm or light as good premium down. If you put it under some other outer clothing, it gets compressed and is less efficient, but still good. Like a good down bag, good down clothing is pricey!!!

Gave up on heavy coats long ago- and went exclusively to layering. Just too many times I'd start out at 5AM at the bottom of a valley where it was zero degrees, then end up 40 degrees warmer and sweating my butt off going up hills. I suppose if I was sitting all day long in 20 degree or colder weather that a heavy coat would be good- but I am never in that situation.

There are some new synthetic fills tgat are better than down. Maybe not quite as compressible but they insulate when wet. Patagonia makes a material called plump-fill that is amazing. Patagonia is anti-hunting thougb.
I have a Mountain Hardwear jacket called the Ghost Whisperer jacket that is high end down. It is down and very light and warm. I wear it in my sleeping bag if I get cold.

a down jacket is always in my pack. It completes any layering system. As far as brand pantagonia is a safe bet. Kuiu makes some great options too. My one requirement for a down jacket is for it to fit in a gallon zip lock bag.

Always get a chuckle when someone says pantagonia is anti hunting. God bless them!

like said before, layering is KEY. and to complete that layering system, a down is a must in cold weather. i have the kuiu kenai jacket, which is super quiet. infact i would say that softshells are louder in comparison.

a down jacket is always in my pack. It completes any layering system. As far as brand pantagonia is a safe bet. Kuiu makes some great options too. My one requirement for a down jacket is for it to fit in a gallon zip lock bag.

Always get a chuckle when someone says pantagonia is anti hunting. God bless them!
Correct, but they are anti oil and gas. Still make some great jackets though.

Correct, but they are anti oil and gas. Still make some great jackets though.
Can’t argue with either of those. I saw what the natural gas fields on the winter range in Wyoming did. Let’s put it this way, right now in my house you can’t walk around in a t shirt. #saveamuledeerturndownyourthermostat

Best long underwear ever. I’ve never bought something from them that wore out. Plus, Patagucci doubles as camo here in CO.

Thanks for the comments. I have always layered but a couple years ago in CO I was wearing 4 layers just to keep warm and I thought a down jacket could cut down on the layers. I agree that while sitting glassing would be a good time for one, maybe not when actually hunting. Things to ponder. Thanks for the info.

The Down jacket is always in my pack, and I really only use it when I’m sitting and glassing. For that use, it’s impossible to beat. When moving, you need something that breathes.

I’ve honestly owned them all… the Stone Glacier Grumman has been my favorite of all of them I’ve ran. One of my most favorite pieces of gear I own.

When it comes to clothing, less my boots and rain gear--I go cheap, synthetic clothing; Walmart/Costco. Don't even necessarily look for camo, just "earthy-looking" colors and layer up. Down vest/jacket too.

When it comes to clothing, less my boots and rain gear--I go cheap, synthetic clothing; Walmart/Costco. Don't even necessarily look for camo, just "earthy-looking" colors and layer up. Down vest/jacket too.
I guess you save all your money for the really good Bushell optics? LOL. Kidding. I suppose polyester is polyester regardless if it has a name brand on it or not, right?
I will more than likely look into a cheaper, high fill type down jacket. For as much as I will use it, and with the comments on this post, I would hate to spend upwards of $250-$300 for a piece of gear I may only use every other year or so. I appreciate the info guys.

My super down hooded jacket from KUIU is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I have worn it in August when walking out of archery camp at 40 degrees and in 30 mph winds at 20 degrees in Wyoming. The biggest reason I use it so much is because it weighs nothing and compresses easily into my pack. There has never been a reason to not have it with me.

the synthetic fill material called primaloft is really really good and worth the price.

unless you wana compress your jacket 650 is fine and i think 650 cuts the wind better.

Hey Wisz!

Make Sure You Get A Size That Will Fit You In The Future!:D
I haven't exercised in 2 months BESS and I still weigh less than 190!! I started back on my exercise regimen yesterday and could only go for 30 minutes. "That's what she said"

About 10 years ago, I felt like crap and weighed 198. I told myself I would never be over 200 pounds. I never have been. 4 months ago I weighed 179 and was in great shape for 49 years old. I need to get back down to low 180's before softball season because during season all the tailgating adds another 8-9 pounds from Feb-June. :)

I haven't exercised in 2 months BESS and I still weigh less than 190!! I started back on my exercise regimen yesterday and could only go for 30 minutes. "That's what she said"

About 10 years ago, I felt like crap and weighed 198. I told myself I would never be over 200 pounds. I never have been. 4 months ago I weighed 179 and was in great shape for 49 years old. I need to get back down to low 180's before softball season because during season all the tailgating adds another 8-9 pounds from Feb-June. :)
Is your wife a bad cook? That helps!

warmest packable coat ive ever owned. pretty much have to be sitting down to wear it though. rips if you look at it to long. ive fond cuben fiber tape makes an awesome repair though.
So true! Another warm one that’s great for coyote calling is the kifaru lost parka. Has a huge front pocket that’s great to put your hands in to warm up and help keep hand calls from freezing

Are you thinking of taking up hunting? Or just one to sit at the computer?
Ha!!

The real answer is non of them. Down jackets aren’t made for busting brush and hiking. There made for when you get there snd sit down to glass for 6 hours

Ya!

Just Wondering if there is anything Tougher than the Last Down Jacket I Destroyed?

Ha!!

The real answer is non of them. Down jackets aren’t made for busting brush and hiking. There made for when you get there snd sit down to glass for 6 hours

In the late 1960s, I did my first horseback hunt -- a DIY in the 10K + ft. mountains near Vallecito Lake, Colo. So I bought a full-sized Slumberjack down sleeping bag rated for -10 below. I still own it today. It had a heavy, durable cover, but eventually, the zipper went kaput.

For many hunts, I just used a mummy bag filled with 3# of Quallofil, which worked just fine down to about 20 degs. But when I would go on a hunt where I knew the temps would be lower than that, I would put the mummy bag inside the down one & roll them up together. No matter the temp, that combo kept me quite toasty even with the busted zipper on the outer bag.

Ironically, in all the years, I'ver never owned a down-filled outer garment. My go-to jacket over the past 40 yrs. for cold weather was the inner lining from a Bob Allen coat. It was reversible with camo on one side & orange on the other, & like the mummy bag, was filled with Quallofil. For cold weather, I generally wore the med. or heavy weight Thermax long-johns, a wool shirt & the jacket.

I also have a complete set of heavy wool stuff from Woolrich. It's a shirt/jack, pants, & vest, as seen below on my NZ hunt for tahr..

TonyMtahr10b.jpg

Almost forgot...

These shirts were one of the best investments I ever made in the 1970s. They are heavy all wool & can be worn as a light jacket in mild temps, which I often did. I believe I paid about $30 ea. back then from a place in Denver that also sold other western wear & horse tack items. They're probably about $125-$150 ea. now. I have one in gray & one in blue. Later, I bought an orange one from Woolrich seen in the 2nd pic with the green wool pants.

I13929[1].jpg

buck.jpg

Last edited:
Found them direct from Pendleton for $149! These have snaps; mine had buttons.

MEN'S LAMBSWOOL TWILL SNAP SHIRT​

A workhorse of a shirt crafted from a blend of wools woven in our USA mills. Snap front, two snap-close chest pockets, cotton trim.
  • 75% virgin wool/25% lambswool
  • Fabric woven in our American mills
  • Dry clean
  • Imported of USA fabric

Gray...
1638558154274.png

Blue...
1638558208274.png

I had to edit the message I had posted here after I checked the label on the wool shirts. They too are from Woolrich. Here's the scoop.

Alaskan twill overshirt

Grey Melange​

Honoring one of our most legendary styles, the Alaskan Twill Overshirt brings new life to an archive icon. Originally introduced in 1927, the Alaskan shirt has remained a Woolrich classic and is now re-imagined. One of our sturdiest and most durable shirts, it's crafted from a wool-blend fabric that regulates heat to keep you warm and comfortable. Its weave creates a fine herringbone pattern that is both subtle and visually distinct for a standout pattern that isn't showy. Traditional details like chest pockets and pointed collar ensure the classic style that complements any wardrobe.

$175

1638559563940.png

Pendleton’s are great hunting shirts. it’s worth to look at thrift stores, hospice thrift stores are a great spot to find them for a more reasonable price.

Pendleton’s are great hunting shirts. it’s worth to look at thrift stores, hospice thrift stores are a great spot to find them for a more reasonable price.
The used ones that get posted online sell real quick. Same for the Woolrich version.

Last edited:
What's the difference in wool; is virgin wool from ugly sheep or ?? Asking for a friend. ;)

What's the difference in wool; is virgin wool from ugly sheep or ?? Asking for a friend. ;)
Tell your friend not to get his hopes up that he can reach a happy ending with his shirt. ;)

Virgin wool is the first cut from a specific sheep.

i use a 650 fill down jacket from REI that i got on sale at around $70. i wear a thicker cotton camo long sleeve over it to protect from branches, etc. The outer layer on most down jackets is very tender ! i love it for layering, it squishes down pretty small when i load it into daypack later in the morning.
I was coveting a super down pro or whatever its called from KUIU but couldnt justify 350 or so for fancy camo.

i use a 650 fill down jacket from REI that i got on sale at around $70. i wear a thicker cotton camo long sleeve over it to protect from branches, etc. The outer layer on most down jackets is very tender ! i love it for layering, it squishes down pretty small when i load it into daypack later in the morning.
I was coveting a super down pro or whatever its called from KUIU but couldnt justify 350 or so for fancy camo.
The kuiu comes in solid colors too. It goes on sale fairly often. If you have a friend who’s a guide he can get it for cheap.

Yeah kuiu performance has nothing to do with the fancy camo. I’ve run the 70 dollar jc penny coats too. Wind blows right through them. I am still amazed at what can’t blow through that super down pro

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom