Down on my luck

Jakekies

Im 19 and from California, been hunting blacktail deer and quail since I was 10. Recently my dad has been wanting to make up for lost time and take me mule deer hunting like he used to with my now deceased grandpa. We’ve now hunted out of Afton WY, where we got the worst luck possible. got to the unit and I guess brush management decided it was a good idea to move a heard of thousands of sheep through the unit during the middle of rifle season. We saw 2 does and about 3 thousand sheep and probably 5 cowboys hooting and hollering all across the mountain side. Ended up talking to some locals and I guess no one had any luck either. This year we hunted out of rifle colorado and we saw plenty of bucks and does… all on the lower private property. The only guys we saw bucks with in their camps had side by sides and four wheelers which we did not have. Our final day we decided to make a last ditch effort and hiked 4 miles in about 2 feet of snow to glass the absolute most perfect valley off the side of a cliff. Again no luck. I’m on here now asking for help, I’m not looking for trophy mule deer just want to see something mature, hell it would be nice to just glass up some does for once. When you drive 16 hours and hike in the snow it gets pretty frustrating not seeing anything, and believe me we weren’t just sitting in the truck road hunting. So does anyone have any suggestions for some units to apply for? Maybe some OTC archery tags that we can hunt while we wait to get drawn for some decent rifle units? We were thinking about maybe wikiup arizona or enterprise utah? My grandpa was pretty big on archery and hunted those two areas with his old hoyt compound bow during the rambo era lol. He always told stories of seeing bucks there, anyone been there recently? Anyways drop anything that you think might help it’s greatly appreciated.

596556F5-7473-4A4A-8702-CAA1E176BA56.jpeg

Keep at it. Your luck will change. I guarantee it. Enjoy the experience and realize that shooting and seeing the animal is a bonus. Nevertheless, Do all you can to tip the odds in your favor. Tilting the odds in your favor comes from time spent afield and learning from past mistakes.

That is why it is called hunting. Do your research with the fish and games stat and find the right unit. Put the time in and keep at it you will get find something

There are several units in Colorado that are easy to draw, and provide fairly high success on mule deer. They can be drawn every other year or so. Landowner tags may also available to buy, if you don't draw. Like it was stated earlier, keep at it, and you'll be successful. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom