Down Syndrome Boy....What caliber of muzzy and what kind of loads to use for him?

bigmuleyboy

I need some expert advise on what kind of muzzleloader for a down syndrome kid that is 4'8" tall and weighs 106lbs and will be 12 in May 2020. I really need the information about a load that will work for him shooting at deer and elk out to about 100 yds. I am all ears, we live in Utah and will probable be hunting the general season. He is very passionate about scouting and spotting deer and elk. He is very excited for a chance to hunt!

I started my own kids much younger and smaller than his size on a charge of 70 grains of triple seven and a 250 gr Barnes bullet. The load was very mild and accurate out past 100 yds. Just an idea , mine are 13 -16 and shooting 110 grains of triple seven.

And another tip , I put a limb saver pad on the muzzleloader also. Daughter is very small framed and recoil shy but the combo worked. Good luck !

Thanks Stillwater for the load information. That helps me make a good decision about loads. Have you ever gone down to a 50 grain powder load with a 130 to 185 grain bullet? Anyone?

CVA Wolf for my 5'2" 120# bride. 50 caliber 350 grain Hornady FPB 80 grains buckhorn. Could very easily drop down to 70 grains. Not sure of Utah's laws but perhaps a 45 caliber might be worth checking out too which would open up more options.

Lightest charge I’ve ever used was 60 grains of loose Triple 7 , guns just grouped a little better with 70 grains. I’ve never tried a lighter bullet than 250’s. I’ve got 2 Thompson omegas , 1 Thompson impact , and 1 cva. They all shot that 70 gr load very well. Hardest kicking no matter the load has definitely been the CVA’s I’ve owned over the years probably due to design and a less user friendly recoil pad , but they could have changed that by now !

are downes syndrome kids more sensitive to noise and recoil???.....I've never heard that before....

Yes, my boy is super sensitive to sound. At sporting events he has to wear ear plugs. He is not so much sensitive to recoil but I want a small effective load for him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom