Draw Deadline March 18th, you in?

I'm in but i'm pretty certain they disregard my applications every year because they always seem to give me nothing but red once results come out... I just enjoy lending them my money for a month or two. They always seem to keep a little portion of it though when they pay me back...

If I could shoot a bow I would go for Valle Vidal Deer haven't seen any pics from 2019 but there are some HUGE bucks there that have never been hunted except last year. My tip of the day. Guess I will try to draw a muzzy Elk tag. GL to all.
Jack

Of course. But my dear NM, this is because I want to, not because I HAVE to, Idaho tag in my pocket and all. So do what you will and skip me in the draw again. Just know it will hurt a LITTLE less than usual. Maybe in the future you can be my #1 again... but I just need you to show me you care at least once in a while.

NM shows that applications increased last year. Was that due to more people applying, or was it people applying for more species because of the requirement to purchase a nonrefundable license?

I know I added species after the change. I did the same in Colorado too. It's one way to offset the cost of that license.

NM shows that applications increased last year. Was that due to more people applying, or was it people applying for more species because of the requirement to purchase a nonrefundable license?

I know I added species after the change. I did the same in Colorado too. It's one way to offset the cost of that license.

I think you are correct. With the buy in being higher I think people applied for more species to try to average out the cost of the license. At least I did :) Good business move for NM but not good for those wanting to draw.

I always wait till the last day, that way mine are on top and they pick them 1st. Lol
Maybe they flip the barrel over that's why I have not drawn crap in 10 years?

I think you are correct. With the buy in being higher I think people applied for more species to try to average out the cost of the license. At least I did :) Good business move for NM but not good for those wanting to draw.

What has really happened is people designate one credit card, apply for everything because of no point system full well knowing they will get either all of their money back excluding one tag, maybe.

You get the most benefit from the big game license and with the first application as opposed to loading up as many as you can.

So if let's say you put in for deer and elk, when they pull your computer generated app, do they go thru both species and try to match you with your picks or do they do one species at a time ?

Thanks Big Chief
Just a question do you drive a street racing hot rod for the 405 in Oklahoma City on the Discovery Channel ?

So if let's say you put in for deer and elk, when they pull your computer generated app, do they go thru both species and try to match you with your picks or do they do one species at a time ?

Each app is looked at separately regardless of species. Your elk may be number 4,792 and your deer may be number 81,954 after the shuffle.

You might get your elk depending on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice but a snowball's chance at getting deer.

My wife and I both watch it, we love the camero's and the chit they talk, the Big Chief swagger when he's putting races together is a hoot !

I agree we will see a record number of applications. I brought one extra to the table this year, my 13 year old daughter for all species. Almost $16,000 for me on the credit card just for New Mexico - I do not drink, smoke, gamble, etc. but I have this vice for sure.

I wish it were mine - I am the one that glassed it up so he owes me one. It was my brother's. I did get the pleasure of packing it out on my back so he owes me another one. It officially grossed just shy of 390" and netted 382". I have never held an archery elk tag (been applying for 13 years) but I am 'guaranteed' one in Wyoming this year if New Mexico does not send one my way. I have drawn some other elk tags so I am not complaining. Physically I am ready to go right now! The success rate on that hunt has tanked - I am assuming weather or moon phases impacted it negatively the last couple years because it was rocking the times I have been there. That is my dream tag - fingers crossed.

I’m in as a NR for Barbary sheep, Ibex, oryx and BH sheep. I’m sure I will see a sea of red but what the heck can’t win if I don’t try!

gonna apply on Monday. Anyone else secretly wonder if the reason you don’t draw is because you put your app in at the last minute. Like the computers knows or something ?

The draw deadline is approaching fast, you all in to score a tag?
A friend and I did our apps today, a little Friday the 13th luck hopefully. I'm a nonresident, Arizona is my home state. Used to live in Albuquerque, while in the Navy. Have been hunting deer over there for 15 years straight. Haven't drawn a bull tag since they made cow hunts resident only. Did have 2 successful cow hunts prior to that. Have been putting in for Oryx hunts for about 12 years, keep hoping for luck there. Helped some disabled friends, who are NM residents, on a broken horn hunt on WSMR once, we got him one. Love turkey hunting there too, have taken several over the years. I love going over there to hunt, always a great time and people are nice.
Anyway, that's my story, thanks for reading. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Ouch! I lost my residency this year. First year putting in for sheep, ibex, and oryx as a non-res! That was about 10x more than what it cost to put in for everything last year as a resident :(

I’m not. I was looking at things today. I really don’t know much about NM. I might apply for something. Not sure.
Put in, plenty of friendly native New Mexicans that will help you figure out what to put in for and help you on your hunt if you draw.

Elk and sheep for me. It will not hurt to bad if I don't draw. I have moose and iowa deer this year and just finished a mt lion hunt

Not in yet as I have a question on NM's refund policy. My problem is I had shoulder surgery scheduled for Monday the 23rd and just found out it was cancelled until things get back to normal. So if it gets delayed a long time and I get lucky and draw, I wanted to know the refund policy. I was told that if a medical condition prevents you from using your tag, you can get a refund. Can anyone confirm this?

License Refunds and Transfers
New Mexico hunting licenses are nonrefundable and nontransferable, except: The director of NMDGF may grant refund or transfer of a hunting license, if the licensee: 1). is deceased; 2). has sustained a severe injury or suffered a life-threatening illness which prevents participation; 3). is deployed by the U.S. military prior to the start of the hunt which prohibits participation; or 4). a hunt is cancelled due to a natural disaster. Refund or transfer requests must be in writing and submitted to the NMDGF Santa Fe office prior to the hunt start date. For further information telephone 1-888-248-6866. If a license transfer is not completed at least 14 days prior to hunt start date, the recipient may be required to obtain a license and tag at a license vendor or NMDGF office.

Not in yet as I have a question on NM's refund policy. My problem is I had shoulder surgery scheduled for Monday the 23rd and just found out it was cancelled until things get back to normal. So if it gets delayed a long time and I get lucky and draw, I wanted to know the refund policy. I was told that if a medical condition prevents you from using your tag, you can get a refund. Can anyone confirm this?

The issue being you know about the cancellation and reschedule before the deadline. But that's up to game and fish.

All wrapped up for my son and I. Hoping for some good results and that I didn't burn all my good luck/karma on my bighorn sheep tag last year!

I’m in for 5 species. Wife is in for 1. My boy I applied for 4. That’s a lot of money to float. But it is so much better than Xmas when I log in for draw results. Can’t wait even if it’s all reds this year.
Good luck to everyone

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom