Draw is happening

Even at 8k less it’s significantly higher than previous yrs. I’ve watched NM NR apps jump in extreme numbers last couple yrs and they went to the non refundable license a few yrs ago and it didn’t slow down demand. The best draw odds in the entire state for elk for a NR is now about 10% and that’s the best draw odds. Pretty sad but it is what it is

190BA7CF-34C1-466B-8C30-F49CF51F7CA1.jpeg

I believe most people can’t take off work at the drop of a hat or can even afford to apply for all six. I’m blessed, retired and financially stable but I would bet that most people apply for two at most.
It is faster for me to check here to see if the draw is completed rather than to log into the Game & Fish website - LOL
As long as we are all needing something to talk about while waiting for the draw results, It would be interesting to see how many tags everyone applies for and if res or non-res.

Me and my three sons all NR's:
- elk
- deer
- ibex
- oryx
- antelope

It is faster for me to check here to see if the draw is completed rather than to log into the Game & Fish website - LOL
As long as we are all needing something to talk about while waiting for the draw results, It would be interesting to see how many tags everyone applies for and if res or non-res.

- elk
- deer
- ibex
- oryx
- antelope
NR
Deer
Elk
Speedgoat

NR:
Me ; Elk
Deer
Antelope
Barbary
Bighorn

My son; Deer
Barbary
Antelope

Depending on how the NM draw shakes out, gonna hit up Idaho
for either Sheep or the Deer, Elk, Antelope trifecta.

Last edited:
Myself
Deer, elk, antelope, bighorn, barbary, ibex, oryx

Wife and bro n law
Deer, elk, antelope, barbary, oryx

All of us are residents

Resident
I usually apply for everything except javelina.

I did not apply for ibex this year because to be blunt the herd is hurting pretty bad right now IMO. I’ll wait a while before I start again.

Resident here too:
Me: Elk, deer, pronghorn, oryx, ibex, barbary, bighorn and javelina
Daughter: elk, deer, pronghorn, oryx, bighorn
Daughter BF: elk, deer, pronghorn, oryx, bighorn

All of are Resident
Myself
Deer, elk, antelope, bighorn, barbary, ibex, oryx

Son
Deer, elk, antelope, bighorn, ibex, oryx

Daughter
Deer & Antelope

- elk
- deer
- ibex
- oryx
- antelope
+1 Resident.

Resident
I usually apply for everything except javelina.

I did not apply for ibex this year because to be blunt the herd is hurting pretty bad right now IMO. I’ll wait a while before I start again.
Understand your thoughts (especially since quantity and quality is way down) I was not going to apply for Ibex also. But, being a NR and almost 60 I would rather get one if possible. Who knows what the future of the herd or myself is going to be.

Even at 8k less it’s significantly higher than previous yrs. I’ve watched NM NR apps jump in extreme numbers last couple yrs and they went to the non refundable license a few yrs ago and it didn’t slow down demand. The best draw odds in the entire state for elk for a NR is now about 10% and that’s the best draw odds. Pretty sad but it is what it is
New Mexico is seeing what happens when you make it so expensive to apply for lottery ticket type odds.

This drop in apps will bring about a change, they aren't going to let almost a million bucks in license fees just go away.

New Mexico is seeing what happens when you make it so expensive to apply for lottery ticket type odds.

This drop in apps will bring about a change, they aren't going to let almost a million bucks in license fees just go away.
I bet many of those were first timers. Now with Covid restraints lifted, people getting back to work, the noobs realizing it’s not as easy to harvest big game as they thought, the cost is more than they realized, they are going back to doing what they did before they applied for the hunts. Seems a drop off would be natural.

NR

Elk
Deer
BHS
Oryx
Pronghorn

As a NR you almost have to apply for everything available and hope you get lucky on something. Tags are getting harder to draw/acquire in every western state and I don’t ever see it getting any easier…

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Not a million dollar loss. But, app numbers are still a lot higher than two and three years ago.

For me, resident. Only elk and deer this year. Dealing with a health issue. Usually almost everything.
Son- youth elk, deer, javelina, and antelope.

Last edited:
NR
NM

Deer
Elk
Pronghorn
BHS
Aoudad
Ibex

I'm in for 50 in the draws so far this year. o_O

Good Luck !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Resident here. Cow elk, oryx, pronghorn and BHS ewe. Hope a few people on here get a BHS ram tag. I'm retired from that game, so you guys have at it! ?

Resident here.

Pops and I are in for everything except Javelina, separate apps.

Brother is a NR and in for all except Javelina and BHS.

About 16% if applied with outfitter in the unit i applied

I bet many of those were first timers. Now with Covid restraints lifted, people getting back to work, the noobs realizing it’s not as easy to harvest big game as they thought, the cost is more than they realized, they are going back to doing what they did before they applied for the hunts. Seems a drop off would be natural.

Drop off didn't happen in Montana. Numbers there are up big again after being up big last year. Other states won't see drops either. With the current economic conditions people make choices and the most expensive apps will be the first to go.

Drop off didn't happen in Montana. Numbers there are up big again after being up big last year. Other states won't see drops either. With the current economic conditions people make choices and the most expensive apps will be the first to go.
NM is one of the poorest States in the Nation. They just legalized marijuana here so many just stay home and get high all day waiting on their government assistance check to arrive!
They ain’t got time to be applying for no hunts….. ?

????????????????????????????We gotta make sure Rebecca Dow get the nomination! So we can change some of that!

????????????????????????????We gotta make sure Rebecca Dow get the nomination! So we can change some of that!

I read some stuff Thursday that she is facing some kind of inquiry about campaign funds either later this year or early next year? What would that do if it was go toe-to-toe with Rebecca and sitting miscreant?

I agree on Dow, no matter how better the other two retired military officers may be, quite frankly, this state is stuck on stupid and I don't think the outcome would be any different than 2018 if a "rich successful white guy" were opposing the Un-great One...

Same as above. Everything but stink pig. And that’s only because NM charges more for Javelina than Antelope ?! Charge less and I’ll apply.

Same as above. Everything but stink pig. And that’s only because NM charges more for Javelina than Antelope ?! Charge less and I’ll apply.
You'd think that with the way they are taking over, they would charge less. I can agree there.

- elk
- deer
- ibex
- oryx
- antelope

Me and my son.
Elk
Deer
Antelope
Barbs
Bighorn
Ibex
Oryx
Javi’s

Tic toc tic toc..... thankfully (in more then one way) work has kept me so busy I haven't had time to dwell on the draw results. Wednesday will be here before I know it. ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom