Draw issues ( trouble pulling back)

Jenks

Hunt coming up.. set up the 3d ... Nocked the arrow ,but couldn't budge it back . Shot 100s of arrows through this bow but last yr had some shoulder issues. I finally got a few arrows in the target. But has me concerned about the hunt. Any points in how to loosen up / stretching/ anything to facilitate pulling the string back?

I’m having shoulder issues as well and haven’t been able to shoot in over a year. Sucks! You could start by turning your bow down a little and work back up. I’ve been doing therapy on one shoulder. Go on Amazon and order a set of resistance bands and google search shoulder therapy exercises you can use with these bands. You can also use them to do the drawing motion of your bow as well. They are pretty cheap on Amazon. I’d definitely turn that bow down a little though and shoot maybe a dozen shots a night or so and you’d probably be surprised how quick you start getting built back up. Good luck and don’t over do it if you’ve had issues before and just getting back into it. Hope your hunt goes well. Smoke pole for me this year!

I agree with nvguy2!
Start with reduced draw weight & regular exercise.
Depending on your age, it may take longer but start slow & work your way back up.
I have a Mathews Switchback XT @ 70 lbs.. Due to lack of luck in the elk draw, and a nagging shoulder issue, I hadn't shot it for several years.
I found out in March that I drew an archery elk tag. Then I found out that I could not draw my bow at all! (My wife warned me that this was going to happen!) Darn age thing is really starting to tick me off!
I was able to back it off to about 60 lbs. and started shooting again. I started with shooting only 12-18 arrows per session, and only shooting about once a week.
That was back in April.
It has taken awhile, but I was able to slowly come back to pulling 70 lbs. comfortably. I still only shoot 18-24 arrows per session and I only shoot 1-2 times per week.
All I have to do now is:
call in a record class bull,
1/4 mile from the truck,
on level ground,
standing still,
at 40 yards or less!

Good luck!

Elkchaser

Most guys draw a bow wrong to begin with, just try to muscle it back with there one arm. Look up some tutorials of proper draw sequence. Should be using more of your chest muscle and almost pushing the bow with your off arm if that makes sense. If it makes sense or not though proper draw form will make a difference

This could have been resolved more easily if you weren't just beginning to shoot your bow for the year so close to the hunts getting ready to start. Any reason preventing you from shooting earlier in the year? Shoulders are not something to mess with. Shooting/practicing year round though will also help with this. It keeps the strength up in the shoulder. Lowering your draw weight is a quick fix but can also cause mechanical issues (arrows not spined correctly, change sight distances, etc...). Hope you have enough time to make the adjustments with a lower draw weight and it works out for you. Good luck on your hunts. Another fix to help with the shoulder is to take a 10 lb dumb bell weight and do 50-75 lawn mower pulls each day with it. This will also help loosen/strengthen up the shoulder.

Good advice . I will follow up .
Elkchaserreturns , go get em close to the road
???
Hello Jenks!
Hang in there getting back in shape with the bow.
Thanks for the encouragement!
I forgot to add that I would prefer a paper target taped to the bulls ribs, but I figured that would be a little much to hope for!:rolleyes:

Good luck,

Elkchaser

I had the same issue a while back.....lower your bow weight to an easy and comfortable level, get the correct arrow, and use a cut-on-contact broadhead. Sight in, practice, and go hunt.

I assume you are pulling across your chest?? This an improper method and can aggravate shoulder issues.

watch this video,

Hunt coming up.. set up the 3d ... Nocked the arrow ,but couldn't budge it back . Shot 100s of arrows through this bow but last yr had some shoulder issues. I finally got a few arrows in the target. But has me concerned about the hunt. Any points in how to loosen up / stretching/ anything to facilitate pulling the string back?
Dude it a no brainer….injuries happen plus we get older ,,,,lower the poundage to your now managable draw weight…..re-sight in the bow.

Afer you lower draw weight lots of reps will help your muscels get stronger then you can go up in poundage…..good luck,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom