Draw OPinons Needed... Please Help...

elks96

Long Time Member
There are many members here whose opinions I value greatly. So please provide any suggestions you can...

So life has thrown a big curve ball... Here is my situation. I currently have 22 elk points and 15 deer points. My just received an incredible job offer in WY. As such there is a 99% chance we are leaving Colorado... So now I am looking at this fall and am stressed... I will still be a resident this year.

I do not know what job I will take next fall, if I will have vacation time off or not.

As it stands right now I can pull a unit 10 tag, unit 2 tag, archery or muzzy. A small chance at 201. As I look at the NR Data all those same units as a NR are taking 27 points with 25 people ahead of me...

Deer I can go several units as a resident that will be way off as a NR.

So here are my issues...

1. Draw both. A good 4th season deer tag and an early rifle or muzzy elk tag. I will have all summer to scout. And hope my new job gives me time off.

2. Draw only 1 (Deer) and hunt the one week and wait several years more to draw a NR tag?

3. Just hold out on both and realize I might never hunt both tags?

My entire point saving was not about trophy animals, but about a quality hunt with my family. Going to WY is giving us significantly more family opportunity so maybe that is not as important?

I do know that I no matter what next year I will still be a NR in WY so all my Wyoming points will be spent there...

But what do I do about Colorado this fall? Cash in and take a chance that I will not get time off? But at least I could say I had a unit 2 tag? Do I wait until I am established and can take off a week?

No matter what any place I interview with needs to know that I am likely looking at taking days off in the fall for hunting...

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-19 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]I'm in the same boat. I'm cashing out all my Colorado points this year before I go from the resident to the non resident pool. Also have to get rid of all Wyoming points too before they are forfeited to residency. Most employers, especially in Wyoming are undestanding of needing time off for hunt you have over 20 years invested into.

Coloradoboy

Yeah that is what I am hoping... I had planned on hunting the archery elk tag this year, with my current job I have 3 day weekends and years worth of sick days etc. So I was set for a decent hunt.

Now I am shoved into this situation. Need a Week off in September and a week off in November...

I personally would not ask for 2 weeks off for 2 hunts right after I start a new job. 1 week would be an understanding boss. 2 weeks would be an unusual boss. So I would pick one that I wanted the most, or would be harder to draw as a NR and go for that one.

Also, if you go into a job interview saying I need 2 weeks off right after I start, it may give them pause as to whether or not to hire you. Could cost you getting an offer.

Of course you could apply for both knowing that you probably might have to turn one back in. You can always turn one back in and get your points back. However, you won't gain a point for this year if you did that

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If it was me I would for sure burn those elk points. The options you have on the table for a great elk hunt by far outweigh your muley options. You can still have a great muley hunt down the road as a NR, but you may never catch up to those Northwest corner elk units as a NR.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-19 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]>Yeah that is what I am
>hoping... I had planned on
>hunting the archery elk tag
>this year, with my current
>job I have 3 day
>weekends and years worth of
>sick days etc. So I
>was set for a decent
>hunt.
>
>Now I am shoved into this
>situation. Need a Week off
>in September and a week
>off in November...

If you decide to pull the trigger on the unit 2 tag let me know. I might have some good intel for you. I think it could be a banner year to have a 2,10 or 201 tag.
Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-19 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]Elks96, there will be a void in the Rifle country and on this forum when you go. You have helped many here, online and in person. I appreciate it as do others, no doubt. WY will be lucky to have you. Congratulations in advance on your next chapter.

So apply for both dream hunts, ask for time off @ final interview, worst you'll hear is no. If I had to choose one of those hunts, it would be elk. I hope you get to hunt both, and then are spoiled for life.

Well on the plus side, as a resident in Wyoming your hunting quality just went way up. I love Colorado but it doesn't hold a candle to Wyoming as far as elk go and some of the general deer units for residents the trophy potential is right up there. You are already of course aware of that though, just looking at the real bright side of the whole situation. Lucky Bast.

>Well on the plus side, as
>a resident in Wyoming your
>hunting quality just went way
>up. I love Colorado but
>it doesn't hold a
>candle to Wyoming as far
>as elk go and some
>of the general deer units
>for residents the trophy potential
>is right up there. You
>are already of course aware
>of that though, just looking
>at the real bright side
>of the whole situation. Lucky
>Bast.

Yeah I know. It has been something my wife and I have kicked around for the last 15 years. I have hunted WY and love it up there... I am hoping it will be as good as it seems. The good news is 80% of the hunting I do in Colorado every year as a resident is the same as a being a NR only cost more...

I'd def draw the elk, and I'd probably draw both. Couldn't you always turn the tags in and retain your points if you cant go?

I don't believe you'll ever get back to the nw corner as a Non res though.

OMG burn the elk points or you might never. It will likely take way longer than 5 years to catch up to NR creep. Can you even call a Unit 2 a burn?

Sounds like a heck of a problem to have elks96. Good luck with whatever you decide to do & thanks for previous insight on Colorado.???

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-19 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-19 AT 09:16?PM (MST)

Lots of defectors out there, congrats on the likely move!

Any way you could hunt elk in 2019 and then deer in 2020 as a Colorado resident or maybe vice versa? I don't want you to break any laws, but it seems like if you don't move until the Fall it might be possible to pull that off, but then again maybe not. You could hunt Wyoming as a non-resident both years as to not get into any trouble hunting as a resident in two states.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-19 AT 05:32AM (MST)[p]Burn those elk points, this is going to be a great year, lots of moisture means the bulls will be at full potential. Also you wont ever catch up to the nonresident top points pool. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

Not to mention, there is still some really good hunts to be had as a NR with that many deer points.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Elks

In Wyoming people are very different in how they look at needing time off for Hunting. I think if you tell them right off that you have these two hunts coming up that they will understand.
I'll bet they are hunters as well and know the game. Wyoming VS California where you wouldn't say that or you wouldn't get the job. LOL
It is better in Wyoming for hunters.

If it were me I was looking at taking a top end trophy, I would go all in on the elk and save the deer for later. I would choose one hunt.
As has been stated I think unit 2 & 201 are going to produce some great bulls this year.
I spend a fair amount of time in unit 2. If you need any places to look let me know. There are some great bulls over there. Good luck on whatever you decide!

If it were me I'd take full advantage of both my elk and deer pts. You can always stagger seasons so they aren't at the same time. As an example, unit 2, 10 or 201 elk is likely a different time than a quality 3rd or 4th season hunt.

I'd take a serious look at what units you can draw as a nonres for both species with your pts. You likely won't draw near the quality units as a nonres. You may be aware of some lessor known units in Colo that don't take as many pts to draw with your pts as a nonres? That is the only way I would likely save my pts.

Burn all your points in the same unit this fall. You know then area pretty well and with this year's moisture? Imagine that experience.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.... As a resident of Wyoming I think the OTC elk hunting and deer hunting is better in Colorado.

To top it off we are getting more and more Colorado and California liberals moving to WY. We will have an income tax before ya know it.

Good luck with your next chapter in life!

I would burn the elk points, you will never catch the northwest corner when you are a NR.
Only a few ever get to have that chance...
As a NR I have been chasing that dream for 25 years and have come to the realization that it will never happen. I am now burning my points on a lesser unit.

I agree with most that you should use your Elk Points. And I wouldn't try to get two tags at the same time. Better to focus all your efforts and energy on one species at a time.

I'd def burn the elk pts for NW corner this yr! And now is the time to barter for your vacation with new job if you hadn't already worked out a deal. But obviously you have experience and aren't right out of college. Employers know u need vacation just like someone that has been there. U have been in the workforce for a numbers of yrs. I'd tell them the amount of vacation u need. Most jobs will start w 3-5 weeks vacation for experienced ppl. Don?t sell yourself short, get it up front. They goes for the money too. Once they hire u it's hard to bargain then

Tough choice. If you already have the job offer and feel like you won't compromising your employment opportunity I think you should talk to your potential boss before April 2nd. If you know your potential future boss hunts, he would understand your concern with burning your points. He may tell you can't have the time off, but at least you will know that up front.

If it is an employment opportunity that you can't pass up and you can't find out if you can have the time off you want this fall, then I wouldn't recommend burning your points. It would be very frustating to burn that many points and only be able to hunt a day and a half on one weekend.

Do both hunts this year. The economy is booming. Employers will bend over backwards for a good employee. Draw the tags and take the time off.

If Hunting and Angling Ended
There is no alternative funding system
in place to replace the potential lost
funds for conservation. If hunting and
angling end, funding for wildlife
conservation, including enforcement of
all wildlife laws, will be jeopardized.
Hunters, anglers and shooters actively
support wildlife conservation through
tangible actions such as buying licenses
and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and
shooting equipment. Why are hunters and
anglers so willing to support
conservation through their pocketbooks?
Because people place added value on ?
and are willing to pay for ? what they
can use.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom