Draw Results

The longer they wait to post the results the longer they put off sending out refunds! Get a little extra interest...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-17 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]

Because they don't set the numbers of tags in stone until their meeting in early May. The numbers/reductions you have been hearing about are the "suggested" tag numbers. They finalize them in early May and then hold the drawing

The reason they wait so long is to be sure there is no late winter kill, and April can bring some big snowstorms

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>The longer they wait to post
>the results the longer they
>put off sending out refunds!
>Get a little extra interest...
>

This is not true. There are laws specifically stating that a state agency can not hold fees in a manner as to gain the interest. Also there is no bank in the world that will take even a huge chunk of money and hold it for 2 months and pay out any sort of interest. If that was the case, once a guy got rich all they would need to do is move money around bank to bank, etc. Not sure where this interest idea started but it is not a money maker.

The results come out late because they are still counting animals, setting season quotas, etc. They like to wait until everything is done to draw and not be guessing on winter kill,etc.

I agree on the law aspect Elks but there is not a bank in the world that wouldn't take a large sum of money and give you a dividend every month. That's what they do. My personal feeling is I can't make interest off of that money let Game and Parks do it and put the money to use over a couple months. They're always looking for slippery ways to raise revenue this is a way I wouldn't be bothered by.

Then why not have the application deadline after quotas and herd counts have been established? At least that way applicants can make a better informed decision?

I'm just glad it's not the olden days no more where we would have to find out if we drew a tag or not by mail! I'm sure certain things could be done to speed up the process in today's day and age, would make me more productive if I knew I was or wasn't going!

>Then why not have the application
>deadline after quotas and herd
>counts have been established? At
>least that way applicants can
>make a better informed decision?
>

Used to be due first part if June IIRC. People complained because they didn't know in time to plan their hunt and vacation so they bumped it back to April. I liked it better due in June myself

Elks96 I have heard that for years and really never cared enough to look into it. It did however make sense with colorado being one of the few states you have to pay the tag costs upfront. What would be the point of collecting all the cash upfront and then sending out refund checks if they were not making a little money on it? Heck even NM just credits back your card instead of a paper check.

To me it would make much more sense if they were not collecting interest to simply charge you your application fees and then charge the tag fee after you drew like most of the other states.

Anyway way I actually like when the results come out in colorado as it kind of spaces out the draw results from each state always keeping me anticipating if I drew or not!

Anybody else think we might see backdoor sheep and goat next week? Official post date was bumped up to may 3 on the website and quotas are already set. Tick tock

?? Are the eliminating the mail in applications? If so it might, but prob not much

txhunter58

Another thing that adds to it is the 2nd choice draw tags. We are one of the only states that offer 2nd choice so all first choice have to draw then another draw is held for 2nd choice.

>They lump the interest earned in
>with sales and donations but
>it was a $13.7 million
>dollar line item a couple
>years ago. I doubt they
>made much money off hats
>and coffee mugs.
>
>
>http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/AnnualReports.aspx

As I told you:

Here is a quote straight from the email response I got:

Simply put there is no way to make any money on such a short term account. Honestly the money is only in the CPW hands for a handful of weeks. No matter what short term money will have such a low interest rate it will not make any significant amount.

Interest is occurred from long term investments and long term accounts. For example the reserve fund which is several millon dollars sitting in an account all year long.

Here is the email I recieved. Realize that they have some longterm invesments that pay out money, but it is not from holding fees while the draw takes place.

Thanks for asking the question Rob. First, to address your license interest question- we do not hold license revenue for interest purposes. This is folklore. Interest rates are way too low (2% on savings accounts) right now to even make a little difference. Even if interest rates were higher, these would have to be long term investments to make any significant revenue. It I simply not a viable-realistic funding strategy.

Here?s the breakdown of that ?slice of the pie?

Sales of Goods Services and Assets: $2.8 million
Donations - $880,000
Interest Income (Long Term) - $1.1 million
Other - $8.9 million

Parks ? includes sale of assets, interest on long-term accounts, sales of retail products at Parks, and other minor sources of income.

Wildlife ? includes state non-game income tax check-off, sheep and goat donations, interest on long-term accounts, sales of retail products and other minor sources of income.

The other category includes several sources, including insurance recovery (largest source), court ordered fines and charges for violations, private grants and contracts, etc. Most of the interest income is generated from legislatively mandated accounts for ?rainy-day? purposes.

Again no interest drawn from holding the license fees.

We have a couple things to consider...

1. Applications due in early April will be submitted before final tag numbers set, thus the drawing does not occur until those numbers are settled.

2. We have both the regular draw and then the let over draw that occurs

3. There is no real interest earned from holding the application money

4. The reason Colorado make you pay up front for full cost is so that when you have drawn they can instantly count that money as income. They do not need to "get" more money from you. This was particularly an issue with mail application and people paying by check. This may change in the future, but they also do not want to have issue with cancelled cards, etc. It s also the reason they will likely stick with refund checks.

Your wrong on the interest this is straight from their annual report on their website. They lump it with sales and donations. That is 13.7 million nobody is buying that many hats and coffee mugs.

SOURCES: $213.9* USE OF FUNDS: $213.9*
50% $107.4 ? Licenses, Passes, Fees and Permits
18% $38.5 ? Federal, State Grants and Loans
7% $13.7 ? Sales, Donations, Interest and Other
4% $8.8 ? Registrations
4% $8.8 ? General Fund and Severance Tax

IT would also save them a bunch of time and money to have everybody apply online which I heard they are changing next year and also to just re-credit credit cards instead of cutting checks and mailing them out.

I assume that when they go to internet apps only, that they will save a ton of time getting the applications in the computer...assuming that when you put it in for the draw, that it goes straight in to the computer used for the draw process.
John 14:6

I am not wrong at all.... Read this directly from the Director of the CPW..... There is no investment avenue where the CPW can take money and place it for a couple weeks and get a significant return. That interest line is long term interest from reserve funds and other accounts. It is not from applications. Any interest they earn from the applications is minimal and just a result of having an account. It is not held for interest purposes and does not make them any money.

This was from Bob Broscheid...

Thanks for asking the question Rob. First, to address your license interest question- we do not hold license revenue for interest purposes. This is folklore. Interest rates are way too low (2% on savings accounts) right now to even make a little difference. Even if interest rates were higher, these would have to be long term investments to make any significant revenue. It is simply not a viable-realistic funding strategy.

Here?s the breakdown of that ?slice of the pie?

Sales of Goods and Assets $2,807,486
Donations $879,269
Interest Incomes $1,184,887
Other Revenues $8,938,455

Parks ? includes sale of assets, interest on long-term accounts, sales of retail products at Parks, and other minor sources of income.

Wildlife ? includes state non-game income tax check-off, sheep and goat donations, interest on long-term accounts, sales of retail products and other minor sources of income.

The other category includes several sources, including insurance recovery (largest source), court ordered fines and charges for violations, private grants and contracts, etc. Most of the interest income is generated from legislatively mandated accounts for ?rainy-day? purposes.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions please let us know.

There is no investment avenue where the CPW can take money and place it for a couple weeks and get a significant return. That interest line is long term interest from reserve funds and other accounts. It is not from applications.

>Your wrong on the interest this
>is straight from their annual
>report on their website. They
>lump it with sales and
>donations. That is 13.7 million
>nobody is buying that many
>hats and coffee mugs.
>
>SOURCES: $213.9* USE OF FUNDS: $213.9*
>
>50% $107.4 ? Licenses, Passes, Fees
>and Permits
>18% $38.5 ? Federal, State Grants
>and Loans
>7% $13.7 ? Sales, Donations, Interest
>and Other
>4% $8.8 ? Registrations
>4% $8.8 ? General Fund and
>Severance Tax

Thanx elks. He spoke as if it were legal but there's just no viable avenue. I was always under the impression it was against state law.

I want to know where he can get 2% in a savings account. That is about what you can get on a 5 year CD. Short term interest is around 0.1%

I assume the interest the list is from assets they have in some long term accounts.

txhunter58

Exactly how are they getting a better interest rate than 99 percent of us and how did he know what rate they would get if they were not actively pursuing a way to make money off of all the application fees. Look at Utah and new Mexico neither charges until you draw, there is a reason colorado takes all the money up front.

If they don't get the charge card fees refunded when they refund money, seems that they will have to up nonrefundable fees for nonresident applications to cover it. They charge elk and deer up front, I assume sheep and goat will work the same way. I'm pretty sure they lose the fee to the charge card company when they issue a refund check rather than a credit back to the card.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-17 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]Technically not for New Mexico since the charge and credit were less than a couple weeks apart they never truly had the money like Colorado does

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom