Drawn for sheep

nugentfan

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-08 AT 06:22PM (MST)[p]Got a big surprise in today's mail, a zone 3 sheep tag. Looks like the homework begins!

Nugefan, Don't drive anywhere, don't walk under ladders, and watch where you step. You done used up all your luck drawing that tag!!

Congrats!!
Joey

Only two left now.... chances were remote to start with and now they are dashed by yet another 33%. Let see 66% of .0001% = sheep dreams for yet another year.

Congrats to you... now you should go buy a lottery ticket!

Congratulations!! That is a true "Once in a lifetime".. I know
that you will do well. Can't wait to seethe pics.

Jim

Have hunted big game for 30 years but this is my first sheep hunt. Any pointers? Could this be a do it yourself hunt or is a guide a must? Unfortunately I'm 500 miles away so my scouting will be limited. Plan on calling the biologist Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

sheep are truly once in a life time hunt...
if your serous about the hunt get a guide!
rm

>Have hunted big game for 30
>years but this is my
>first sheep hunt. Any pointers?
>Could this be a do
>it yourself hunt or is
>a guide a must? Unfortunately
>I'm 500 miles away so
>my scouting will be limited.
>Plan on calling the biologist
>Monday. Any suggestions would be
>appreciated!

Sent you a pm .

If you are an experienced hunter, finding and killing a ram is very do-able yourself. Judging sheep is where the guide will be invaluable to a novice sheep hunter. Your zone is a big area...Check your pm's

JB

Living that far away, I hope you can invest SOME time in scouting. That area is huge and variations in weather and water sites make these animals range a good deal.

Talk to some guys who have drawn this area and don't gamble your hunt on the info you get from any biologist at DFG, they are mostly "nature fakers" and would just as soon you didn't fill your tag......Unless you specifically talk to Andrew Pauli. He's been on this program for most of 30 years.

Your time investment will pay off. Good hunting!

Congrats to you, have a great hunt and I hope you get a good ram. But most of all enjoy the hunt.

Good luck,

Slide

Congratulations on drawing the Clark/Kingstons. This is a unit that has some very good rams. My wife drew this tag about 8 years ago and harvested a great ram. I would really enjoy speaking with you about this hunt. Give me a call @ 559-561-7828

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-08 AT 01:26AM (MST)[p]Nugefan, Have you been able to locate any rams, do any scouting, and are you for sure "on the same page" with your guide?. Hope all goes well for you man and thanks for the update! Good luck!!

Joey

Just got off the phone with "NUGENTFAN" he connected with
old sheep tonight, he's not sure what he will score he said he
was wide & heavy and was alittle chipped up, he shot him at
505yrds.

He will be heading home on wed. hopefully some pics soon....

GOOR JOB GENE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys! Been home about 22 hours and still running taking care of head, meat and gear. Butt a** tired too! That is some steep country down there. Going duck hunting in the morning but will try to post the pictures in the afternoon. By the way DFG gross was 162 net 157, 11+ years old. He was on his last legs, bones showing and a very small neck. Glad I could take him before he became coyote food!

nugefan, sounds like a dream come true hunt!! Love to see the pic's and a little recap of your hunt!! Thanks much! Joey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-08 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-08 AT 11:19?AM (MST)

Gene, nugentfan, sent these pics. Awesome hunt, great ram, i'll let him tell the story. Joey
4943fa6753cbdfb6.jpg

4943fd3b63661d94.jpg

First off I'd like to thank all of you who helped make this hunt a success either with suggestions or loaning me gear and posting my pictures! Will try make this very long story brief.Decided to hire Terry Anderson when it became apparent that gas($4.50/ gallon) and time were going to very important in this hunt. His knowledge of sheep is outstanding and his references are flawless. He told me to prepare for very windy conditions, single digit to 70's temperatures,long shots and be in shape. Also needed new camo for this hunt.Concentrated on other preparations like walking and target practicing last month. Arrived in the area 12-4 and Terry had sheep in the spotting scope. Watched them again Friday and went up after them Saturday morning. Unfortunately one of the other two hunters in the area ended up on the same hill side. Saw an old ram in the afternoon but couldn't get to him in time and he was gone. Sunday morning found the 3 assistant guides and me on the same hill. Terry looked elsewhere for a back up ram. About noon he spotted one and we rushed off our mountain to meet him. We drove about a half hour to reach Terry. He was watching an old ram at about 2.5 miles. Cut down on my gear and took off across the desert. We reached the mountain and began a steep climb. The wind was bad and we were busted. The ram moved up the hill some but remained below the summit. We set up, resting my .300 WSM on a rock pile and with me laying on it facing uphill. Andrew ranged the shot at 505 yards and Colin suggested that I aim above the now broadside animal at a black rock. At the shot the sheep reacted and started running down hill. It appeared that I had shot high as the rocks flew about and had just scared the sheep. As he came down the hill he started limping. He stopped broadside with the range at 500 yards. I guessed the hold from the last shot and fired. He pulled a superman, lept off his feet and shot forward crashing into a crevice below. 2:52 p.m. I had my ram! Don't like shooting anywhere near that far but my Weatherby shoots tight groups,we had the range and ballistics. Glad the outcome was not different. Used Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler AccuBond's. This bullet has worked well for me on elk and bear in the past. Took about 30 minutes to reach the ram. The 3 of us pulled him up out of the crevice and started taking pictures. Caped and boned the meat as it started raining. Started off the mountain at dark. Was steep and slick. We all got to the desert floor safe.Then it was a long walk to find the trucks.Green score by DFG 162 6/8 net 157 5/8 11+ years old. Very tough hunt even with all the help. At least in this area top optics are a must. My older 30x60 Leupold spotting scope did not preform well at all. Also because this is a wilderness area many roads are closed. Prepare to walk and walk some more if you hunt here. Hear some of the other units are easier to find sheep. Had a great time and the fillet I ate was incredible! Can't wait to try some more cuts.

NUGENTFAN!!!!!!!!

DO I SEE BLOOD ON YOUR NOSE? :)HAHAHAHAHAH

OH AND MY DAD TELLS ME YOU WENT FOR A SWIM!!!! :)

sorry.......gene I had to do it.

Horns clean your glasses! That's not blood. We wiped that all off for the pictures. It's a gash! Shows you the steep angle of my shot. And as far as that swim it just was an experiment. I wanted to check the flotation properties of my waders after doing a back flip off the boat. They failed miserably and I don't recommend duplicating the trial without more safety gear. How's the back?

Gene, heck of a buddy you got to give you a hard time like that! :) Look at it this way, You and Jim Shockey probably both got barked on the nose this year, he gets scoped a bunch, only he probably didn't get a Desert Ram this year, eh?

...and ah, you failed to mention the "Flotation Test" in your e-mail?? Sounds like a master stroke of BS! Chit happens ;-)

Congrats again on that awesome ram. I'm not jelious, envious... yes! Seems like it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

Joey

Well Sage, HORNSNFISH is bigger than me and can call ducks like crazy, so I have to put up with him! Nah he's a great guy really. Offered me his brand new Browning for my sheep hunt. His dad is one of a kind too. Spend most of my time afield with him and his black lab, Bo ,hunting ducks. We have a blast even if the the skies are free of birds! You know I prepared pretty well for that sheep hunt and two days kicked my butt. Glad it didn't go to ten days! Terry Anderson is the sheep man. Fun to hunt with too. Highly recommend him for anyone with a sheep tag. Especially if you don't have a bunch of time and some very nice $ optics. My zone was huge, something like 78x80 square miles. Would have taken me weeks to find sheep on my own. My once in a lifetime hunt ended as a great success, hope you can enjoy one as well. Many thanks for the help with the pictures. Comcast has been giving me problems since I've been back and that contributed to my being unable to post. Thanks again and happy hunting and good fishing! Gene

"Well Sage, HORNSNFISH is bigger than me and can call ducks like crazy, so I have to put up with him! Nah he's a great guy really."

LOL!! Those are the best kinda buds to have Gene! I don't have dozens of what i consider a true friends but i'm blessed to probably have more than my fair share. Most every one is cut from different cloth sort of speak. We center around our own individuality and bond through kidding each other and the outdoor sports! Ain't it grand!

The info, insight, and comments you've given thru your PMs and thread posts have really filled in some grey area's of what a hunt like yours would/could be about. If i ever do draw, i now know a bud who's been there/done that! :)

Thank You Gene! let's keep in touch!
Joey

Hey Joey same with me. Would much rather have a few good close friends than many people lumped into the friend category. Horns fits into the close friend category. He's a good dude. I spend much more time in the field with his dad though. Bet you are the same kind of guy. Had friends that used to live in Chester and owned the market there, maybe was called David and Price? And you bet if you draw the tag I'll give you my insights from the experience. Take care and have a Merry Christmas! Gene

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom