Drew 154c Mount Emily Late Deer Tag

Buckjunkie

I was finally able to use 21 NR deer points in Oregon. Its all I have to do this year, so I will be able to scout quite a bit. I live in Wa about 4 hours from the unit.

I was in the unit 20 years ago, so basically I am starting from scratch. I’d really like to hear from people who had the tag in the last few years.

Jim

The early winter weather may help you a little but you're in for a tough hunt. what you're going to find is the locals off the rez have really hammered this unit as well as some others. I'm not trashing them they have the right to do it, but with out herds in the dismal state they're in already this is exactly what they don't need.

The early winter weather may help you a little but you're in for a tough hunt. what you're going to find is the locals off the rez have really hammered this unit as well as some others. I'm not trashing them they have the right to do it, but with out herds in the dismal state they're in already this is exactly what they don't need.
Thanks Togwotee,

I have made three scouting trips and also made a connection. You’re spot on, it’s going to be tough. Still, the dates are awesome and I have all season off. Not a lot of deer. Not a lot of good looking deer habitat on public, but I have found a few spots that look promising.

If it's any consolation it's not like there are a bunch of better hunts to burn your points on. good luck and let us know how it goes.

Will do, and you are right. Not many places to burn points to try and get out of Oregon, so this is it. I’m all in. Trying to get out of Oregon. Still have a bunch of Elk points, but this is my deer cache. Lots of support from family and friends. We will help support the economy in Elgin for a few days. I’ll post pics after if I have any

we're getting a bunch of snow this year which will help you as long as it doesn't get so deep it limits your travel.

The 2nd season elk hunters have slaughtered the elk around here. just going to be mostly spikes next year that's for sure.

Well, I ended my hunt with a white tail deer. I had a posse with me, many friends and family joined me for the hunt.

070F75DD-9E09-4013-8AEF-CB237DDE7632.jpeg

Wow, nice buck. I never gave whitetails a thought on this hunt.

I've taken plenty of big mule deer but never a whitetail of that caliber. I'd have done the same thing you did no doubt about it.

I have enough for this tag also but will probably do a late season archery deer hunt instead. They are all tough in OR no matter how many points you have. Great buck however, good for you!!

Back
Top Bottom