Drew a ML tag, thinking about using Black Horn

DidIDraw

I drew a late ML deer tag in UT. I haven't used my ML for a few years. I have a very accurate load using 130 grns of 777 pellets. First shot is great but any followup shots are a bugger to stuff another bullet down the barrel. I have some Black Horn that I think I'll try at the range. What is an equivalent powder charge to the 130 grns of 777 pellets I've been using?

Thanks for your help!

About 110 grs. (By volume)

But I’m wouldn’t start there. I would start with 90-95 grs and go up by 5 grs several times and see what is most accurate. Anything over 100 grains thumps you pretty good.

You will like it. I have shot as many as 30 shots without ever swabbing once.

Last edited:
I switched over to blackhorn this last year and I was very impressed with the results. I shot 120 grains by volume because I’m an idiot and want to get the sh!t beat out of me, but it shoots way more accurately and way cleaner than the pellets I’ve tried. The first shot on this buck was 295 yards.

3E4FE1D9-EEC4-4F66-8363-27F8629FA578.jpeg

I switched over to blackhorn this last year and I was very impressed with the results. I shot 120 grains by volume because I’m an idiot and want to get the sh!t beat out of me, but it shoots way more accurately and way cleaner than the pellets I’ve tried. The first shot on this buck was 295 yards.

View attachment 6691
Great buck!!!

Bh209 is awesome, I'm shooting a 280 gr powerbelt elr with a sabot with 85 grains by weight (roughly 120 gr by volume) of bh209 out of my 50 cal cva accura and it works great.

I've used American Pioneer, IMR White Hots and others.

BH 209 is the best. No issues reloading after 2, 5, or 7 shots. Not difficult to get 1" groups at 100 yds and a fouling shot accurate enough to use as a first while hunting.

BH 209 publishes a conversion factor of .70 between volumetric and weight. 100 grs by volume would be 70 grs by weight. I guess I don't understand volumetric because 70 grs by weight is 90 grs measured out into a volumetric load tube.

About how many shots does one can get you?
I get 54 shots per 10 ounce can of blackhorn.
There are 437.5 grains in an ounce.
Multiply that by 10 and you get 4375 grains per can.
My load is 80 grains by weight.
Divide 4375 by 80 and it equals 54.68 shots per 10 ounce can.
At approximately $40 per can it would cost about $.75 per shot just for powder.

I get 54 shots per 10 ounce can of blackhorn.
There are 437.5 grains in an ounce.
Multiply that by 10 and you get 4375 grains per can.
My load is 80 grains by weight.
Divide 4375 by 80 and it equals 54.68 shots per 10 ounce can.
At approximately $40 per can it would cost about $.75 per shot just for powder.
great, thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom