Drew archery Elk & Deer!

Huntnful

Unreal on the draws this year. Drew an early 16C archery elk tag and a late season 24 archery deer tag! While I know these will not be cakewalk type hunts, I am super pumped about these tags and got my bow already shooting broadheads extremely well out to 75 yards. I'm preparing heavily for these hunts and taking 11 days for the elk hunt and 7 days for the deer hunt! Can't wait! Thank you New Mexico for another opportunity to hunt your beautiful state! Any PM'd info about either unit is much appreciated, but not expected. I will be there hunting hard no matter what.

I drew a rifle elk tag 2 years ago in the Pecos and killed my first bull, at 11,100' and 9 miles in, solo.
GBZE6220.jpeg

IMG_6637.jpeg

Congratulations! You’ve definitely got the right attitude. I hope somebody on here will assist you with some information. Your units are not ones we hunt.

Congratulations! You’ve definitely got the right attitude. I hope somebody on here will assist you with some information. Your units are not ones we hunt.
Thank you! I’m really looking forward to these hunts for sure! I have what I think is a solid game plan, but of course personal experience and info is always the best info.

On grata on the draw and the first elk. My only question - How the heck did you get that elk out 9 miles in and solo?

On grata on the draw and the first elk. My only question - How the heck did you get that elk out 9 miles in and solo?
I knew I was going deep, so I lined up pack horses for that one before I even went in haha. No service. I sent the dude an InReach message that night when I killed him, and he was there at 11:00am the next day. I did pack one out 7 miles solo though. 4 trips, but it was all downhill with the weight lol.

It is my opinion that C is not what it used to be as far as size and quantity of bulls. Last time I hunted first season it I took a cow as I struggled to find any mature bulls. 20 years ago it was really good. Not saying they aren’t there (saw a few 3 years ago) but I think the wolves have played havoc. Best of luck! Congrats on your tags.

It is my opinion that C is not what it used to be as far as size and quantity of bulls. Last time I hunted first season it I took a cow as I struggled to find any mature bulls. 20 years ago it was really good. Not saying they aren’t there (saw a few 3 years ago) but I think the wolves have played havoc. Best of luck! Congrats on your tags.
Thank you for the insight! I’m going into the hunt with a mindset of expecting what you stated. Not a lot a bulls and hopefully a few encounters… one of which I capitalize on. But I’m not expecting piles of 300” bulls to comb over hoping to find a 350” somewhere. I like elk meat just as much as I like hunting them lol

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom