Drew my first New Mexico MD Tag-Unit 37 Thoughts?

What hunt did you draw? I'm going on the January archery hunt there. A buddy has a ranch in unit 37 and it is just loaded with deer.
John

Hey John I got the early rifle Nov 6-10. Will be crowded but I don’t mind getting off the beaten path.

Hunted 37 (excluding Capitan) rifle MD in 2007. We hunted the east and NE side of Carrizo Mountain. Hunters were everywhere! Had a YOUNG 6x5 shot right in front of us from way across the draw opening morning. Kept moving north to get away from other folks, but we got into fewer and fewer deer as we moved north. There was very little water that year, and the deer congregated around water sources (which is also where all of the hunters congregated).

My dad and his hunting buddies hunted Lone Mountain in 37 (north of Carrizo Mtn.) all through the 70s and 80s when it was still OTC. They were always successful - not on monsters, but on decent bucks.

Seems like there is some forest land back south towards 36 that we never really explored.

Congrats on the draw - we saw a sea of red again this year. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Ckat

Great. Info. I got OnX today. Amazing the amount of private land but it’s all good. Have some intel from a friend in ABQ too but I appreciate your reply. I will let all know how it works out later in the year .

4W

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom