Drew my first NM tag - unit 18 deer

iowacity

The wife and I both drew this unit this year. We are from NV and have no knowledge of the area, but are looking forward to seeing new country!

If you have any info you are willing to share or know any property owners we can pay a trespass fee to we would be very great full.

I can trade for hunting information for much of NV for various species, as well as CA. I also can trade for info in a few areas in WY and ID.

It is a very arid, lower altitude unit, so it might look more like NV than most of NM. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations regarding deer, I have covered some of that country looking for off-range Oryx but don't recall seeing many deer, mostly antelope and cattle. The unit has produced an occasional large elk, rumor has it. Good luck!

Good luck my daughter had that hunt last year got her on a couple of buck couldn’t get a shot but there is not many deer it’s a tuff hunt.

Big unit. Quebradas Backcountry Byway. Cool geology. Desert muleys. We used to go out there looking for Confederate cannon, only found sheep shears.

The wife and I both drew this unit this year. We are from NV and have no knowledge of the area, but are looking forward to seeing new country!

If you have any info you are willing to share or know any property owners we can pay a trespass fee to we would be very great full.

I can trade for hunting information for much of NV for various species, as well as CA. I also can trade for info in a few areas in WY and ID.
We drew the second rifle. PM sent.

I've never hunted deer in 18 but have spent some time in the unit. To be honest to you, it isn't really worth driving all the way from NV to hunt. I live 2 hours from the unit and I would rather drive farther to hunt general season Idaho or Wyoming, a zero point unit in Colorado or general unit in Utah. The area also lacks the genetics and habitat to grow really big antlers so don't set your expectations too high for size of bucks.

With that said, you could still have an enjoyable hunt. NM does spread out hunters between the different seasons and isn't as bad at issuing so many tags that most 1 1/2 year old bucks are killed every year like some public land in the west. It is a low land desert unit with most of it fairly open with Creosote and yucca plants. There are some areas with Junipers and Mesquite that are a little thicker. I don't know the unit extremely well but from what I've seen there are many parts of the unit that have low deer densities.

Being honest with people is more kind that keeping quite or even worse telling them it is something better than it is.

Brian is right I wouldn’t drive from anywhere to hunt 18 have you hunted it it sucks I always say it’s better to hunt then not to hunt at all but unit 18 is bad.
You can have a great time but don’t count on seeing many deer my friend!

Sorry I offended you by calling your deer tag mediocre. Nothing I’ve said is untrue. You can still have a great hunt with a mediocre tag.
What offends me is your negativism and non-helpful attitude. I am personally well aware of Unit 18 and what to expect. I've hunted it before. As far as anything you've said being untrue, I'll withhold comment.

What offends me is your negativism and non-helpful attitude. I am personally well aware of Unit 18 and what to expect. I've hunted it before. As far as anything you've said being untrue, I'll withhold comment.
I heard some comments of the same nature about my tag in 16. Also got some great comments and PMs from guys like Bugle and others. Opinions on the internet are just part of the experience, good and bad. Make the best of your hunt.

16 and 18 are night and day if somebody asks for info it’s our obligation to give the truth not lie like the world is doing and everybody gets a trophy you can find deer in the worst units but when they ask they are asking for info from people that have actually been there we are not a bunch little wusses scared to hurt peoples feelings I would hate hear about your version of Jesus .

From what I have been told. Sounds like there is enough deer in the unit to have an enjoyable experience. Success rates are around 30%.

You can have a good hunt. Low concentrations of deer in most of the unit but also a limited number of tags so it won’t be overcrowded with other hunters. It will be an adventure to just explore a new area. The weather will likely be not to cold compared to many other November mule deer hunts. I hope you have an enjoyable hunt and find a buck you are happy with.

Id love to have a tag for 18...ELK Heck yes.....Deer , eh, better than sittin on the couch ....but it is a tough unit and a few land owners have been known for land locking public access...Have local sheriffs and State police numbers handy as theses land owners operate as if they "own" public land that is leased ...

Id love to have a tag for 18...ELK Heck yes.....Deer , eh, better than sittin on the couch ....but it is a tough unit and a few land owners have been known for land locking public access...Have local sheriffs and State police numbers handy as theses land owners operate as if they "own" public land that is leased ...
this is how "most" landowners in NM operate more so if they hunt or have hunters. , Ive busted out of state hunters hunting on a ranch only landowner tag that were hunting blm and state that the LO tried to landlock . they knew the weren't supposed to be there so they literally ran away from me.. Called warden nothing happened of course .
Also landowners like to make a habit of gating and locking county maintained roads esp low traffic roads again illegal, but they do it and get away with it. Or they will block a blm road then petition to blm to decommission the road cause its not being used . thus creates another private inholding of our public land, How on earth NM allows thousands and thousand of acres to be landlocked is beyond me . they use this as basically an extension to their ranch and aint a dam thing any of us can do

I’ve seen some bucks in the hills that border the Northwest corner of Stallion Range.
Correct statement. Take 380 east from San Antonio to about mile marker 12 and go south on 525 towards Stallion Range about 4 miles. You can camp or park about 1 mile before the gate and head west in to the hills towards Fite Ranch. No records but deer can be found there.

16 and 18 are night and day if somebody asks for info it’s our obligation to give the truth not lie like the world is doing and everybody gets a trophy you can find deer in the worst units but when they ask they are asking for info from people that have actually been there we are not a bunch little wusses scared to hurt peoples feelings I would hate hear about your version of Jesus .
First of all, you are not obliged at all to respond to any of us. Second, your post is horribly written and hard to follow.

See that’s what I am talking about that’s all you have say is that my post didnt sound good I bet your a left wing pedophile baby killer god hating democrap by

That’s why we are in the mess we are in because of these communists that pose themselves as americans. One thing I will tell just because people hunt or have guns does not mean they are on our side they are left wing and you will know them by how they talk or text. You can smell them a mile away they are scared and run behind the people that are doing something.

Iowacity.

Bring a potted plant with you. When you get to the spot you are going to hunt place the potted plant on the roof of your truck. Then go hunt and if you get lost just look for the tallest bush which will be on your truck and walk that way.

Iowacity.

Bring a potted plant with you. When you get to the spot you are going to hunt place the potted plant on the roof of your truck. Then go hunt and if you get lost just look for the tallest bush which will be on your truck and walk that way.
That has to be the oddest advise I have ever heard, but strangely it makes sense. I haven’t seen the country, but I take it a lot of it is flat with high brush based on your statement.

I think my GPS will work just fine!

This is what most of the unit looks like.
IMG_20210428_090727616.jpg

I usually see deer on 380 from Bingham east to the Valley of Fires. Of course they are on the side of the road. Might want to try the hills south of Bingham to the Missile Range boundary. Personally, I have never hunted the area. I believe the record archery bull elk came from 18 about 10 years ago (at least it was at the time). You will probably see more Oryx and Collared Peccaries than deer but at least you will be hunting. Unfortunately, I will be reading posts about hunts and watching videos on You Tube. Good luck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom