Drew unit 22 3rd season

First day we looked over 12 deer total, second day maybe double that. Hunted 4 days and we know the unit very well and ended up with a button buck and I got a decent little 150s buck.

Units go up and down but don’t let any of these negative nellies discourage you. I had the tag in ‘17 and had an awesome hunt. PM me and I’m happy to share some thoughts. Congrats on the tag!
I was there with a tag in '17 as well, I can say it is definitely not the same unit as it was back then.

I've not personally been there during season but know several people that have had tags since and it's gone down hill every year. That said it could still turn up a stud, and I think would be a fun hunt.

This is my second season buck from '17. Stag buck with a giant body, I didn't realize he was still in full velvet and thought he was just really heavy, he dwarfed the doe's and little bucks he was standing with and just look giant lol. Not quite what I was going for, but still a good deer.
part0.jpg

22 has really tanked the last 5 years. Deer numbers are extremely down and semi mature bucks are very hard to come by these days. Kinda the same story for all the units in the NW part of the state since CPW increased the tag numbers in their “scientific” strategy of killing all the deer will correct CWD..

I had a 3rd season tag in 17’ as well. Haven’t been back in the unit since, but from the handful of guys that have PM’d me about the hunt since then, it doesn’t seem to be close to the unit it was just 5 years ago.

I had a 3rd season tag in 17’ as well. Haven’t been back in the unit since, but from the handful of guys that have PM’d me about the hunt since then, it doesn’t seem to be close to the unit it was just 5 years ago.
No where close to it, it was heart breaking almost to see where it has gone down to. I wish I was joking when I say that we saw more wild horses, than deer.

Don't get me started on the BS in 22... It is down right criminal what they have done in the NW corner. It is all BS and it has only gotten worse since they ran JT out of the area. Good luck there are still a few decent bucks, but if you see a 22" 4x4 you better not pass it...

It is sickening. In the glory days we would see over 140 deer a day and 35+ bucks a day. Last year we saw 7 deer all day and shot the second buck we found... There were guys all over slaughtering the doe.

Sounds like a good candidate to turn that tag back in and get your money back & reinstate your points! Act fast!

I concur. Hunted it last year and agree and confirm with everything that has been said. It’s a two or three point unit at best. Too many doe and elk hunters. Very few mature deer. Only saw two that were “shooters”.

If I were me I’d honestly be turning that tag back if I had 9 to 10 points invested in the points game. If I picked it up on the left over list than sure. Not saying that the deer hunting across the state is “outstanding” right now by any means but there are definitely units out there right now that will offer you a considerably better hunt/experience than 22 in that 9 to 10 point threshold.

Well I have the third season tag. You guys are getting me pumped for all the big bucks I'm going to see?. I'm sure it's down, but I'm just going to give it my all and see what happens. That time of year never know what might show up. I've had some awesome people reach out to me I feel like I have some good info. Might get skunked but no way am I turning in the tag.

Give it hell man, I don’t think guys are dogging you too unfairly, some of the fellas really know that unit, but hands down one of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen anytime of the year in any unit was 3rd rifle 2 years ago in a unit that most would consider absolute trash so there is a chance!

Well I have the third season tag. You guys are getting me pumped for all the big bucks I'm going to see?. I'm sure it's down, but I'm just going to give it my all and see what happens. That time of year never know what might show up. I've had some awesome people reach out to me I feel like I have some good info. Might get skunked but no way am I turning in the tag.
It's definitely down but that's not to say the potential isn't there for a freaking giant to show up. Good luck man.

Not sure if this was for me but no. Had one that was interrupted by elk hunters and the other spooked before I could get the gun on him. Saw some other 120/130 that we passed on the last day.
Did you see many elk? Trying to decide if I should buy an otc tag

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom