Driving directions to Ten Sleep

oklahunter

I need some advice from you Wyoming guys. I’ll be going to Ten Sleep for deer hunting. I’ll be coming in from Casper and was wondering if I should go thru Buffalo or go to Lysite and head up on the Nowater road. Is that road in pretty good shape? I’ll be pulling a cargo trailer. It seems it would save a lot of time going thru Lysite if the roads are decent. I think I know the answer but want to ask people that would definitely know. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I just drove the road from Ten Sleep south to Highway 26 through Lysite a couple weeks ago. The road is in good shape and should be fine for your cargo trailer. The other way you'd be going over the Bighorn mountains and it's a nice drive but I'd skip that if possible since you're pulling a trailer. Only thing is if it rains or snows, I'd probably go the Buffalo route, so you can be on pavement as much as possible. A good portion of the road between Ten Sleep and Lysite is dirt/gravel, and might be sketchy in spots if wet.

I go through buffalo and over the mtn just because its a lot less boring drive roads are paved

I've driven that road a bunch and probably wouldn't do it with a trailer. Top half is paved but the btm half has plenty of potholes.

how did the hunt end up?
Ended up not getting one. Saw a lot of does on private, a few on public. Never saw a buck while hunting. The snow on Tuesday before opening day really muddied the roads. Without a 4 wheeler it was very difficult to drive my truck on the secondary roads till Monday. About the time the roads got decent it rained on Tuesday again. I knew it would take a couple of more days to start to dry so I just called it. My recommendation to anyone thinking about hunting there would be to have a 4 wheeler. Also the hunting pressure was unbelievable!! I would never waste my money on that hunt again unless I had private to hunt. The biggest buck I saw that had been killed was a small 3x3. Hate to be so negative but I’m just telling it like I saw it. Always better to be hunting though!

Ended up not getting one. Saw a lot of does on private, a few on public. Never saw a buck while hunting. The snow on Tuesday before opening day really muddied the roads. Without a 4 wheeler it was very difficult to drive my truck on the secondary roads till Monday. About the time the roads got decent it rained on Tuesday again. I knew it would take a couple of more days to start to dry so I just called it. My recommendation to anyone thinking about hunting there would be to have a 4 wheeler. Also the hunting pressure was unbelievable!! I would never waste my money on that hunt again unless I had private to hunt. The biggest buck I saw that had been killed was a small 3x3. Hate to be so negative but I’m just telling it like I saw it. Always better to be hunting though!
I’ve hunted there now for 10 years. I can tell you that the tag isn’t worth it but I go for the company. Most NRs have the same experience as you and only hunt it once. Sorry it turned out poor.

I should also mention that a lot of guys want to hunt Region M because they look at maps and see a lot of public land. But it’s not until they step foot on he unit that they realize most of the BLM is a desert scape that literally holds no animals and the other 80% of the public lands are land-locked by private rendering most of the unit inaccessible. I recommend anyone looking here to be very well informed before they put in for this unit or secure a spot on a private ranch prior.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom