Dry sacks....any info?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Anyone had bad luck with dry sacks failing? Cheap ones? Do you use smaller sacks or big 30 liter sacks as a liner? Your uses for them? Thanks

Never really bought dry sacks, as such, for backpacking and hunting. Use a lot of stuff sacks which are essentially the same. Tough nylon fabric, good coatings inside, and make sure there is tough double stitching. When we have to wash them, we do NOT dry in the dryer. High temp tends to break down the coatings. Packs tend to be fairly water resistant, and inner bags just help some more.

For total waterproof bags, we use roll top NRS Outfitter bags for rafting

I like to use several smaller ones, instead of a large one. Get in bright colors so if you set it to the side it is really visible!

Same here. I use the small colored bags. Sea To Summit bags are pretty good but I imagine the market is flooded with similar quality versions. I purchased two of their 15L capacity bags. One of them easily held 4 days worth of food and the other was used for hauling trash.

I forgot to add, you can cinch them pretty tight and they can handle rain but they are not submersible dry bags. Sorry, just realized you were inquiring about actual dry bags. I have no experience with those ones :)

Last edited:
Anyone had bad luck with dry sacks failing? Cheap ones? Do you use smaller sacks or big 30 liter sacks as a liner? Your uses for them? Thanks
Most of those so called Dry Sacks are over rated & over priced !! I bought some Cheap Ass stuff/compression ones years ago off camofire.com !! Outdoor Products is the name of them, they have never failed !! I have one in my pack with my down jacket & a few survival items still as dry as when I put it in there 5 years ago !!

There is quite the difference between keeping your gear dry in a pack during a rain storm and having it submerged for a period of time in moving water.
Hands down NRS and even then you want to double bag if it has to stay dry.

There is quite the difference between keeping your gear dry in a pack during a rain storm and having it submerged for a period of time in moving water.
Hands down NRS and even then you want to double bag if it has to stay dry.
I am looking for sacks to put my gear in that is already inside my big pack....just to make sure certain items don't get wet....just an insurance policy for things to be dry. I'm guessing by the responses, I may just go with the Amazon suggested bags and keep it on the cheap side. I won't be spending the money on the NRS bags as that would be extreme overkill for my purpose. I appreciate all your feedback. Good luck this year in the draws!

The sea to summit ones work good, decent price you can find on sale if you look, and I second the BRIGHT colors, keeps you from leaving one on the ground when packing up in the dark. Always wondered about camo flashlights and headlamps, like why ?

look at zpacks cuiben fiber sacks. those water proof bags in the link are way to bulky. they pack like chit in your backpack

i don't use much for dry sacks. only thing i actually have in one is my water filter and bladders for camp, but its a zpacks one

I have an assortment of the relatively cheap Lost Creek brand. I think that I got them at Sportsmens Warehouse, or maybe Walmart, I can't remember for sure. They are overbuilt for my purposes, but that is okay.

I use a Stone Glacier load cell dry bag. $40. Keeps the things you want dry in your pack dry, and then used as load cell to keep your gear and pack from getting bloody when needed for packing. I carry a couple 1-2 gallon ziplocks if weather is bad to transfer electronics into when I need load cell for packing meat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom