Duck Hunters are the most Unethical Sportsman

E

etoh

A friend on mine recently made this observation and I'm beginning to agree with him. Never have I observed such flagrant and consistent disregard for other hunters as I have in a duck blind. Is it just me or is it getting worse? The short list of offenses includes; skybusting, inability to stay in a blind, inablilty to stay quiet, can't control the dog, what's camouflage?, highballing at ducks locked up on your spread (my personal pet peeve), calling every duck in the state, and setting up as close to your spread as possible. "Hey they're in OUR spot!" The marsh is getting crowded but that is no excuse for the inconsiderate behavior I have seen over and over again. The frustration just isn't worth it, which is truly a shame because I love to hunt ducks.

I agree with you on this. Its commical in a way to watch these bubbas hunt ducks. I usually laugh quit a bit while hunting ducks.

Smiling.gif

I DON'T HUNT DUCKS!!!(CUZZ YOU HAVE TO EAT EM IF YOU SHOOT EM!!!)

IT IS FUN TO HUNT FOR PEOPLE THAT HUNT DUCKS AND SOMETIMES JUST WATCH THE ACTION!!!

ANY OF YOU GUY'S EVER SHOOT YOUR JACK KITE???

I WENT HUNTING WITH MY UNCLE ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO AT FARMINGTON BAY,I SHOOT THIS MALLARD(DRAKE)AS IT IS FALLING THREE OTHER 'BUBBA'S' SHOOT IT ON THE WAY DOWN,THEN ALL THREE RUN OVER,IT'S MINE,IT'S MINE,I'M THINKING YA,IT'S DEFINATELY YOURS!!!

FOUND A BLIND ONE TIME,WE DECIDED TO USE IT,BOY THE OWNER WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER WHEN HE SHOWED UP!!!I SAID: SETTLE DOWN THEY ARE ONLY DUCKS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING:THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN A DUCK IS SEVERAL DUCKS WITH LEAD POISONING!!!

Public land waterfowl hunting sux! I've had all of the above happen plus the idiots that stalk and shoot my decoys, people that see ducks swing and lock-up on the spread so they try to head them off and stand out in the open to try and get a shot. Some of these idiots complained that my partners and I were getting all of the shooting because we had more decoys than them!

Can't say I ever had a problem finding a place along the river to hunt ducks, not have a had any problems with people being rude and doing the things they have done to you, that must suck.
Michael

I used to hunt ducks in NE California(Honey Lake) on with a non res. licsence. Until they built the new prison up there. Prison guaurds have got to be the biggest a holes ever, and I know there is exeptions. But, they have turned once remote public place, where you could determine you're own success, to a hostile, competitive, cheating way to hunt. It is just not fun to anyone that hunts there anymore.

I gave up waterfowl hunting for the simple reason that I didn't care to spend the rest of my life in a Federal Prison.

And the way I was hunting ducks that's where I was headed so I just gave it up.

I took up hounding and that way I'll at least end up in a state prison closer to home so my family can visit.

I still have trouble sleeping at nights remembering a few duck hunts from my younger days. And I'm mighty glad Labrador Retrievers can't talk!!

You are right my friend... duck hunters are unethical. At least I was and the ones I was running with. But fun? Man, duck hunting is FUN!!!

-Dawg

Ya, duck hunters are law breakers. I love to hunt them too. Something about it gets under your skin and its all you think about. They will always shot over the limit if they can. Lots off guys shot pick-up loads at night. Of course I don't know them. wink wink

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

Duck hunters are the same breed that hunt pheasants, turkeys, elk, and EVEN MULE DEER!

It is completely unfair to pigeon hole a group of sportsman by a few idiots you have seen. Don't we sit around here chastizing poachers of all kinds. Don't we hear of incidents almost daily of people taking animals out of season, not tagging animals, road hunting, and shooting them at night?

The problem with duck hunting is inherent to the game (as in animal). Ducks need water and you have to hunt where the ducks are...you follow. This limited hunting "space" puts us in much closer proximity to the duck hunting idiots than say if you were hunting some remote part of the grand Rockies for muleys, where I must remind you there are still unethical idiots.

Compounding the waterfowl problem in much (excuse me, all) of the country is the fact that guides and outfitters have leased up unimagineable quantities of land and made them inaccessible to the freelance and ordinary hunter. This in turn puts even more pressure on our public lands. Look at much of california that was once considered a waterfowlers paradise, now it's nothing more than a wrestling match for public land and rich mans choice of hunting lodge.

Call me a purist or call me naive, but I don't want to pay someone $100/day to do all the leg work and let me just SHOOT the ducks or other waterfowl. Part of the hunting experience is learning about your quarry through scouting and time spent in the field. There is part of generation of hunters being brought up to believe that duck "hunting" is traveling to some lodge, going to bed and *poof*, magically you wake up in a field or in a pond full of birds.

ok, deep breaths

I think that is all from me today

smalls

had the duck hunting bad storys beat just hunt hunt unit 10 early last week! what joke! will never hunt a large qouta,along with jr any deer hunt again! what a joke! won't go in to details, but will so that their should be a test on shooting,driving,handling of firearm,and bull5hiting for our grand ole folks (three differant nice guys but need help showing them its time to take up golf and give the grand kids the guns and the stories, nice to see an 87 yrs old hunter, but not really still got the hole in my truck door!)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-03 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]Smalls said it real well.

I agree it can be real frusterating duck hunting with other guys close by. Lately we've had good luck but it takes a lot of work. Finding places that just downright suck to walk back into, it's worth it for the ducks though!

I was not in the best of moods when I posted this but I still think its true. Introducing a small child to duck hunting keeps you closer to the beaten path and out of small boats on rivers. Good food for thought Smalls but I .....hope...... that your're wrong. I don't think that these are the same people out hunting mule deer and elk etc; and if they are I think its much easier to leave them behind by walking a few miles off the road. Maybe its just that the competition of so many hunters in a confined area brings out the worst in some. In any case, didn't mean to pidgeon hole an entire group of sportsmen. The idiots have a much greater opportunity to show off poor behavior in a marsh. A little bit a cr*p ruins a lot of ice cream.

You guys are whining about hunting ducks out west??? Come on over and hunt the Chessapeeke Bay and you will see duck and goose hunting at its finest/worst...

On another note, the Colorado flyway forum at refugeforums.com has the best group of posters I've seen on any message board. Those guys all take eachother to their pits and go out hunting together all the time. I've never seen a place where the hunters on the forum got along better, and actually go out hunting with one another.

Etoh, The duck hunters you talk about ARE also out there Deer,Elk,Pheasant hunting and fishing. If you think duck hunters only hunt ducks then you are an Idiot. Hardcore waterfowlers don't do any of the things you described in your post. The people you described are just out there hoping to kill something because there is a season on it and have no clue of the ethics of hunting. Like I said before, they are also the same ones shooting at deer at 900 yrds. , taking 60 yrd. shots with a bow, walking right up and fishing next to you, etc. etc. etc. etc......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom