Dutton Archery

aggies22

Looks like I'm a shoe-in to draw this year and have already began the process of losing the egg nog weight. I am planning on backpacking in and spending my weekends scouting in july/august. I have a few friends who have hunted or guided the Dutton and I am taking their advice as far as where to focus my efforts. Just curious if any of you have any other pointers on the areas in the unit you've had success as well as good stories or pictures. Im also curious in your experience how far they travel to rut? any information/ pictures/ stories would be awesome....thanks in advance

>Looks like I'm a shoe-in to
>draw this year and have
>already began the process of
>losing the egg nog weight.
> I am planning on
>backpacking in and spending my
>weekends scouting in july/august.
>I have a few friends
>who have hunted or guided
>the Dutton and I am
>taking their advice as far
>as where to focus my
>efforts. Just curious if
>any of you have any
>other pointers on the areas
>in the unit you've had
>success as well as good
>stories or pictures. Im also
>curious in your experience how
>far they travel to rut?
>any information/ pictures/ stories would
>be awesome....thanks in advance

My two cents is this... Get in the absolute best shape possible, sign up to run a half marathon or something, that mountain will kick your arse if your not ready!

Also, I'd line up someone with horses to do a retrieval pack out for you, that way you dont have to worry about it when you spot that monster 3-4 miles back in.
2a0fcsk.gif

thanks for the advice I was planning on getting some horses on speed dial just in case!...sounds like you've hunted it how'd you do?

Had a really great hunt! Currently waiting out the waiting period so I can try to get back down there again before I'm too old!!

2a0fcsk.gif

Love the dutton I had the tag in 2014 and it was a blast seen tons of elk. As soon as i can apply again it will be on the dutton. Its tuff,steep,and rocky but i like that lol. PM me if you need any info i can help youthe best i can.

Hey Aggie,
In your shape I would turn in the tag. There are plenty of guys in shape that can handle the rock. I'm sorry to say you're not one of them.
Just sayin...?

Jesus. ..your either joking or dead serious. I guess ill finish my burger and cheese fries and try to figure it out....

Hey aggies22, the dutton isn't the intimidating "rock" like some guys want you to believe. Yes the unit has some rough country but it is Utah and most of the units- limited entry or general units- have some mean and steep terrain. You can pack in and hunt the roadless- harder to get to areas and kill nice bulls AND you can hunt the easier to access north or far south end which is some saweet pinyon and sagebrush country with tons of access- and hunt some big ol bulls. The Archery hunt will be hot and yes you'll want to be in shape to hunt hard and go all day but you can do it and kill a good bull. I've spent many nights over the years on that unit hunting and filming and even killed a great bull with my bow a few years back. PM me if you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to tell you everything I know about the unit.

Maybe you should post a picture of yourself and then let all of the other Internet experts judge whether you deserve to draw a tag or not. Holy cow...

Deserve it? I have the points...go ##### yourself. You wanna look at pictures of dudes you need to login to the other websites you're a member of, Caitlyn.

Dude, I was on your side. I was criticizing the other guys for suggesting you have to pass a physical to draw a tag...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-16 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]Haha whoops my bad...hard to pickup inflection on text I guess. Sorry sureshot. wapitiwilly is a friend of mine no big deal

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom