Dutton

Wapitiwilly

Very Active Member
I'm headed to the Dutton this week for my elk hunt. Just wondering if anybody has any info on water in Cottonwood. Bringing ponies and worried about water.
Thanks in advance
Paul??

Call the Ranger station they should be able to tell if there is water in it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I would say you have a more than reasonable chance of getting an opportunity at a 350+ or better bull going guided with a reputable guide on the Dutton.

I am sorry to rain on your this year's elk hunt but high top talked me into putting in for muzzy on the Dutton at the clown show ( as some peeps are calling it in SLC)..and I am at 20nres points. I have 2 friends that did the Dutton with no guide a shot a 390 and 340 bulls. I have not decided yet ifn I am going to go with a guide..I would be able to scout for a week or more before the season starts.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be making changes. I was wondering why you asked@ pts. Glad I posted saved a draw. I may just swing for fences and wait to see how you do for next year. Hope your friends can help out..... good luck.

One can if he does not draw anything for that time frame..if not I will have to try and round up someone. I might have to offer a hunt swap for some local help, for some Sd or Nd hunting, archery deer, antelope, or pheasants when they make a come back.

If I was NR thinking of hunting the Dutton for the first time, I'd for sure hire a guide. Unless you have the capability to make some scouting trips over the summer. It's a gnarly unit, with very few roads.

I hunted with MZ on the Dutton many years ago when it was likely in its prime. I can vouch that the Dutton would be a knarly place to go on a first self-guided trip. Lots of super remote, rugged country. I've done a lot of sheep and mtn goat hunts over the years and the Dutton was up there with the most physically demanding hunt I have ever done! I arrived over a week prior to the season and didn't find elk until the 8th day. I didn't get a bull until around 8 or 9 days later!

I hunted with MZ on the Dutton many years ago when it was likely in its prime. I can vouch that the Dutton would be a knarly place to go on a first self-guided trip. Lots of super remote, rugged country. I've done a lot of sheep and mtn goat hunts over the years and the Dutton was up there with the most physically demanding hunt I have ever done! I arrived over a week prior to the season and didn't find elk until the 8th day. I didn't get a bull until around 8 or 9 days later!
Thanks for the heads up keeping in mind.

The late hunt can produce some of the bigger bulls killed on the unit as well. Just a thought.
FYI no bonus tags for non residents for the early or late hunts last year on Dutton. Caught me by surprise with 21 non res. Points, not sure what I'm doing with those points this year.

Only if we could get Bernie in as pres, so my twins can get the free college he is promising, they are headed to college this fall, then I would plenty of extra cash for a guide..Utah will make the eighth state that I have hunted elk in, all were Diy, only was a resident in 2 of the state's other 4 were as nonres, 3 were archery, went 3 for 4. And have tagged 17elk in my life, since my first elk hunt 1992..I am not ruling out a guide, I am confident that I can get on and kill a elk I would be happy with, it's after the shot getting a elk off the mountain is what haunts me at nite.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom