E=MC@#!?

Millsworks

Math seems more important than hunting here recently.

Thought the purpose of a hunt forum was to help each other out when you can and try to learn a few things in the process.
Maybe even bring a few people together and make some friends.

Lots of public land in Wyoming.
Lots of that is federal land.

Here in America I think I deserve to enjoy some of that land just as much as a person that lives 2 miles or 2,000 miles from that land.

I have to pay more, wait longer, and drive farther to use less land than a resident can access for almost nothing.

How is that adding up in fare math?

Won't be crying about it or organizing a Lynch mob to hang a inesent group of hunters anytime soon either.

Last I checked wyoming doesn't have road blocks or a certain criteria for those who want to live here. Feel free to sell your home in West Virginia and move on out.

>Last I checked wyoming doesn't have
>road blocks or a
>certain criteria for those who
>want to live here.
> Feel free to sell
>your home in West Virginia
>and move on out.

Ha ha ^^^^ this!

You're welcome to use the federal lands, as much as the people that live in the area. You just don't get the same level of access in terms of pursuing the animals that are owned by the state, not the feds.

>Last I checked wyoming doesn't have
>road blocks or a
>certain criteria for those who
>want to live here.
> Feel free to sell
>your home in West Virginia
>and move on out.

hit the nail on the head!

As stated before I have never had any problems with non resident hunters in the past. As a matter of fact I will be helping one out this year in G. I also have a couple of trips planned this year to go to other states and hang out with a couple of people I have met on here and have them help me out with what there state has to offer. You are right that is a great tool that this sight provides all of us.

I will say this along those lines though. I was always taught by my grandmother growing up "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Seems to fit here very well.

I help non-residents and residents out on some LE elk, goat, sheep, and deer hunts. I don't throw out my honey holes to anyone. The "know it all types", that includes residents and non-residents, don't get much from me. I have many people that want to tag along with me rather than to look on their own for places they should hunt.

The back and forth over numbers and tag allocation between residents and non-residents seems a little much to me. Do the businesses in Wyoming and the Wyoming Game and Fish need non-resident hunters? Sure. Can they survive with fewer non-resident hunters? Yes. Do non-resident hunters bother me when I am hunting? Sometimes. That includes when they camp on top of the game or ride their horses right into them. For the most part, I only run onto them on the roads.

The real advantage that residents have over non-residents when it comes to hunting in Wyoming is simple. It isn't the wilderness exclusion, tag numbers or the outfitter welfare that is complained about almost constantly on the Wyoming forum. Resident hunters can gain specific knowledge of the country they want to hunt if they want to take the time to do so. They live close to those places. Without that knowledge, hunters get quickly lost in unproductive areas that look good on Google maps or some other app. Instead of wanting to only find a 180 buck or a 390 bull, just try finding some deer and elk. The rest will fall into place. Smart resident hunters have specific knowledge of the country we hunt. It has taken me almost two decades to gain that knowledge. I have never spent time with jm77 but I am sure he gained his knowledge that way. I had an outfitter, who I respect, tell me that old guys like me are successful because they take the time and effort to do it right.

When I was scouting sheep last Friday, it dawned on me yet again how vast the country is in this part of NW Wyoming. I sawed out an access path earlier in the week (it about killed me)so that I could climb what looks like a cliff to get into what is a sweet sheep spot that was littered with sheep sign. I am out hiking and scouting whenever I can. If I could do it every day, I would. Unfortunately, my body can't take it anymore. I wish it could.

If I were to give any advice to a non-resident or resident unfamiliar with the country, I would tell them to spend more time scouting and exploring. Move here if you find what you like. Find a few spots and learn how to approach and hunt those areas. Don't rely on others or complain about the way it is. Try to go there every year and hunt it whenever you can. Complaining on a hunting forum is time that could be better spent scouting and exploring. The most successful non-resident hunters that I have helped, came here to explore and scout before they showed up to hunt.

just sayin...mh

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-17 AT 11:05AM (MST)[p]Well said mighty hunter.
I obviously will try to learn all I can from experienced hunters. But, I certainly expect to put my time on the mountain in to be successful.
True knowledge of an area can't be received from a forum.
After investing a lifetime of savings and work, building a home and a business for my family and still far from completing my house or business construction, it would be more than a little tuff to start over in another state at this point in life.
Especially, just to be closer to good hunting.
Family comes first in my home.

I'm just a guy that enjoys the outdoors greatly.
And have worked hard and sacrificed for my family's happiness often.

Think I deserve to have a little enjoyment a few days a year where I can.

>You're welcome to use the federal
>lands, as much as the
>people that live in the
>area. You just don't get
>the same level of access
>in terms of pursuing the
>animals that are owned by
>the state, not the feds.
>

That's fine with me as soon as the state starts paying for the animals that they own that are feeding on lands that they don't own or have a lease on. Ranchers have to pay to let their animals graze on land they don't own, why is it different for the state?

Everyone always says go ahead and hike all you want on federal land but you don't get the same rights to hunt state owned animals as someone that lives in that state. So why should all the non res allow state owned animals free grazing on their lands?

Just curious since the state owned animal argument always comes up during these res/non res debates.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom