early highcountry bucks

camonick

Im intrested in learning were you guys think the hotspots are in colorado for the early season highcountry mule deer.
not asking for any honey holes just looking to start a highcountry quest

I hunted in unit 36 in 2005 and seen one group of mature bucks in a drainage outside of Vail, but never could get a shot. I spotted a lone buck in there that summer and went back for a few days in September rifle season. It was a tough hunt and I didn't use my time wisely. I would recommend it again.

Leonard

thanks for the replies, I dont have any points, I am just doing some research. I was curius about unit 36 eagles nest wilderness, on a map it seems to lack a lot of entrance points, basically all are off of I-70

You can expect an 8 to 10 year wait for a decent unit. However, many can be hunted with a muzzleloader with much less points.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

thanks for replies, in eagles nest wilderness unit 36, according to draw odds could draw non resident muzzellaoder with 1 pp. How about any other wilderness high country areas, like holy cross, or hunter fryingpan, any succes in those areas.

I'm pretty sure the new season dates in 2009 are going to be later into September in most early high country units. This is really a drag because that is when all the unlimited elk hunters start showing up and there is a lot more pressure in those units. It is also about the same time the bucks start rubbing off their velvet. One thing I have noticed over the years is once they have rubbed their velvet they often move from their summer haunts...which makes them a lot tougher to locate! On a positive note, that is about the nicest time in the year to be in the field with the aspens turning and the elk bugling!

The Eagles Nests Wilderness is mostly in unit 36. The best access is off the Bighorn/Vail exits off I-70. It's a steep climb to where they hang-out mostly a couple hour hike and 2,500 to 3,000 feet elevation gain. I only seen about 15 or 20 deer up there in 2005, and I bet last winter reduce the herd some.

Leonard

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-09 AT 06:34PM (MST)[p]I have not heard much good about 36 in the last few years except that it is some of the most beautiful country in the world. Probably why most people report more people than deer.

I might conisder Holy Cross if I decided to go for one of the lower tier early rifle hunts. There are definately better ones, but they do take many more points. In Holy Cross though you would have to plan on going in 8 to 10 miles. It would be a really tough hunt, but there are places that you can get away from people. That is what it takes to find the big-un. For other suggestions, look at success rates in the lower tier areas. There are a couple of them.

As one who has gone on one, I can tell you that it is one of the best hunting experience of my life. And I was successful, but you have to realize that you will have to figure on using lots of boot leather. Not every drainage has bucks. In fact, you can cover drainage after drainage that doesn't hold deer. And where they were last week may not be where they are this week. Success or not, it is a great experience.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

JimS,

I know that in the past couple of years they have changed some of the high country hunts to be later in Sept. Some of them were still early in Sept. Are all of them going to later?

thanks for all the info guys.
I was wondering why some units have early rilfe starting end of august to sept7 while others have them a week later?
Looked at 36 hard on a map and it seems as if all trailheads are off I-70 I also looked and saw it is heavily hiked.Ive read all the highcountry buck books and recomend them to anyone also intrested in this type of hunting

I just checked and 5 of the EHB hunts have been pushed about a week later into Sept. I have a feeling different season dates for different units has to do with conflicts with other concurrent hunting seasons and also hikers (sheep, goat, archery, muzzy, bird hunters, etc).

I hunted 36 in 2005 on the 3rd season and saw some big bucks but I never went back and last years winter should have been bad on that unit?

Another tool in the toolbag for some of those areas with hikers is look like a hiker. I have heard that in some areas the big bucks will lay up and watch the hikers below. Start sneaking around and get caught in it it bust out time for them. I had a an experince sheep hunting I was pinned and and the only option was to expose myself across a 200 yard area. The sheep were about 800 yards away and I walked out from behind the rocks in the other diretion standing straight up swinging my arms and looking ahead in a casual pace....made it across and doubled back and got my ram.

Anyways just another tool.....

Adventurewriter,
That is very true. Me and a friend hunted a ski resort and there were a bunch of hikers. We dressed like a hiker with no camo and my buddy killed a very nice buck. Sounds crazy but its the truth. When we would where camo the deer freak.
jc

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom