Early season bucks are tasty!

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Just got into my mzzle buck this year and it is tender and tasty. Made steak sandwich with onions and peppers while trimming shoulder meat to grind, not expecting much outta that cut but it was tender and delicious. Burgers were delish on grill: no fat added just exra dose of grapeseed oil.
Last years early rifle buck was great too.
Disappointed with (3rd rifle) doe i shot in snow, took care of meat well - surprised how tough she was. Even the grind was chewy! She must've been old. Didnt look exceptionally big but i havent shot a doe in many years.

No better eating than a buck in the velvet. You just have to be mindful of the warmer temps that time of year. Good for you!

Yes, i shot it at 750am... caping, quartering, deboning, packing up camp... going downtrail in sun for 5 miles. It was 80* !!! I got to jeep and ice on meat in coolers at 330 pm! I was scared but it worked out well. Lunch, Got back to trailhead at 630 pm to go retrieve my camp... got up there 815pm, back down to jeep at 10pm. Home at 1 am, to taxidermist by 2pm!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom