East Canyon Moose Hunt...

banker

Still looking for a nice bull in the East Canyon unit. Can anyone help? Have seen a few small bulls but nothing worthy of shooting. Have checked out most of the close spots and hiked into a few remote places. Would like more info on Morgan -Peterson side.Any suggestions would be helpful since it's a Once in a Liftime Hunt.

Banker, I would be much more concerned with securing a good piece of property to hunt, once the season starts than scouting for a good bull in alot of different places. Moose are far to unpredictable in most cases to pin down like deer and elk. Unless the property you are hunting is very large you may never see your scouted bull during the hunt.

Finding a good place to hunt that historically holds good bulls would be my recommenation. Then cover alot of country and hunt hard once your hunt starts. Good bulls cover sooooo much country when rutting that you just never know where you will see them. Good luck with your hunt. cb

Banker, I've heard that there is a piece of private upon which a landowner is complaining to the DWR regarding a bull moose. IT's somewhere above Glen Wilde golf course (which methinks is over by Coalville?)

I'm still hoping to get another peek at the one I already mentioned, but geez, there are not enough hours in the day!!!

Plenty hours in the day since you only work nights! Have made a few trips around the loop and seen a couple of nice bulls. Get us the info on the golf course, we can always do some wildlife management for them. Going back up after work Thrusday. Sat do the drop dead climb...so looking forward to that. Did finf the trail to Bntfl Peak.

Banker, how many beersh did you drink before poshting??? LOL. ONLY work nights, ha ha, very funny guy. Nertz to you.

Keep looking for a good moose this preseason. My views are 180 degrees from CB.
Moose travel very little and are usually in the same spot year after year. They don't move around as much as mule deer or elk. If you find a moose in August he'll likely be in the same spot come September (pre-rut). The rut may or may not get him to move. It depends on the amount of cows in the area.
My wife drew a Wyoming tag this year. We're after a huge bull that has lived in the same tiny bowl for at least 5 years and usually beds under the same tree. The only reason we won't kill him is if he didn't make it thru last winter.

Bluetick is right, keep on scouting. Bulls will stay in the same area all summer. Find some nice meadow, riparian area, ect and glass early morning and late evening. Spend time looking for tracks in the mud as well. If you have big huge tracks in the riparian areas scout that hard. You'll see the bull eventually.
Bulls do cover alot of ground during the rut. So if you have a rut tag (last week of sept - first week of Oct is normally best) I'd be paying attention to the riparian areas that are holding the cows. The cows don't move much at all and a mature bull will run a route where he checks on the cows to see if they are in heat or not. Normally every couple of days. If you can hunt the rut, call, call, call. That is the key to hammering a big bull in the rut. Cow call is best. A big bull will come into a bull call but smaller bulls figure they are going to get their asses kicked so they won't normally come in.

One other thing BCBoy mentioned, that I forgot, is riparian areas. Moose always need water, and are always near water but alot of hunters think they need to hunt a swamp in the bottom of some valley. A spring running down the side of a mountain is plenty. In dry areas these springs are like moose magnets. Nonresident hunters from "mooseless" states are always amazed when they see a moose feeding on a seemingly dry sagebrush hillside 2000' above the valley floor. It's just not like all the magazine pictures you see of moose standing up to their necks in water.

You guys are probably right. All my Moose expierience is limited to the same area here in Utah. For 30 years I have watched the Moose in my area and they just move to much to rely on seeing them once mid Sept hits. I'll guarantee you wont pattern a big bull in Sept in my area. But, I really shouldnt be giving advice of other areas. Good luck with your hunt. later, cb

Update:
Have been scouting all over unit... found several nice mature bulls... still looking for MR. Big. Any suggestion would be helpful in the East Canyon unit. There is a lot of country we have not covered.

Have noticed that bulls seem to hung around in the same area most of summer. We'll see if they travel during rut. I've seen more bulls than cow's..so if the bulls do move after the cows it could get interesting in finding them during rut.

We'll keep you posted and thanks for input.

Banker

Banker,

As I stated in my original post, find a good piece of property that holds good bulls. Its sounds like you have done that. My particular area does not hold alot of bulls during the summer months but alot of Cows and calfs. Once the rut starts we see 8-10 different bulls a day. They are on the move and sometimes dont stay long. But this is a 10,000 acres piece of property, which is not much.

Hunt hard and put in your time and I'm sure your once-in-a-lifetime hunt will be a success.

My wife drew one of the premier CWMU's for Moose in the state last year. Huge bulls come of this ranch. My friend who also guides for me, guided two clients to book Moose before our hunt started. We hunted very hard for our 5 days and looked over many bulls. She ended up shooting a old elk antlered bull the last day. Not a good bull for this ranch but she did the best she could have done. Thats hunting, sometimes you take what you get. She wouldnt trade her experience for anything. Hunt hard my friend and enjoy your time in the mountains and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck. cb

Now if a cure for dementia can be found then Biden will realize he is in 2020 running for president.... that will be a "woke" moment for sure.

Hey Banker, thanks for your reply! My dad is Darren Franz. Lifelong Utahn, finally drew his tag!

Anyway, I know this post is old. I've had a lot of fun reading about the different experiences that people have had on this unit and this one peaked my interest. Do you mind sharing how it went?

Thanks to the others for chiming in, appreciate it!

A friend drew that tag this year after 20+ years of putting in. Will be helping him to try and find that BIG one!

Best advice is gather as much intel from all you can, sift through it and make your own plan as what you want to do.

If you just looking for a respectful bull you should have no problem. If you looking for that bull in the 50”+ range you will have to put in the time to find it. They are there.

Good Luck!

92234258-5888-4AAA-BC08-2B742554FD55.jpeg

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we have put in a bunch of time and effort, but haven't been able to connect with a bull in person yet. I am in shock.

Anyway, if you happen to see anything, can you please let me know? We are going to give it hell until 10/15/2020.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom