East Canyon Moose Tag - Unfilled

801local

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well! I'm reaching out because my dad finally drew the East Canyon moose tag this year with 24 points. Long story short- WE ARE STRUGGLING to find moose and would love any advice. This has been such a tough hunt for us.

We've dedicated a lot of time to scouting Parley's, Bountiful, and Farmington. We've primarily been up Parley's off of the East Canyon exit (Affleck Park, Golf Course, Big and Little Hatch canyons). Also some time near the top of Payley's. We've spent roughly 10-12 days hunting this season (season opened 09/12/2020). We originally put in for this unit because we've seen a lot of moose here in the past.

Several bulls seem to be nocturnal. Others rarely pass through some of the waterholes that we have cameras on (we're talking several days or weeks apart, or they never show up again). I was hoping that I would be able to glass hillsides once the leaves fell off of the trees, but haven't had luck with that because the canopy's are so thick or there aren't any moose!

We were able to find one bull that was consistently near the golf course, but somebody POACHED it on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. It was gut wrenching.

Anyway, we still have some time. The hunt closes 10/15/2020. I'm hoping that some of those on the extended may have run into a bull moose? If so, can you please shoot me a DM? I'm happy to share some of the deer and elk that I have come across while looking for elk.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone.

Google cow moose calling and watch 2-3 videos. Get a big apple juice or Gatorade bottle and cut the bottom out. And then walk around the tops of the ridges screaming like the skankiest cow moose you can imagine. And then wait 20-30 min. Walk a quarter mile and do it again. Rut should be hot and heavy and if there’s a bull that hears you I believe he will come looking. I’ve been on 2 moose hunts the past couple years and called in 8-10 bulls within bow range on each hunt by doing this. Good luck. Sounds like your working hard. Keep at it and Post some pics when you get him.

Google cow moose calling and watch 2-3 videos. Get a big apple juice or Gatorade bottle and cut the bottom out. And then walk around the tops of the ridges screaming like the skankiest cow moose you can imagine. And then wait 20-30 min. Walk a quarter mile and do it again. Rut should be hot and heavy and if there’s a bull that hears you I believe he will come looking. I’ve been on 2 moose hunts the past couple years and called in 8-10 bulls within bow range on each hunt by doing this. Good luck. Sounds like your working hard. Keep at it and Post some pics when you get him.
Thanks! Great advice, I'll give it a shot!

The first time I ever tried calling a moose with my own voice it worked. Very easy to do and I guarantee you will get the attention of any bull within earshot! Sound advice from BC!

I have had two buddies call in moose to bow range and get them so far this year. I was with one of them and had my wife and 11 month old daughter (who was squealing the whole time) with us and he still came to the call.

It works. Good luck.

This was the first time I tried it. My brother wasn’t with me to shoot him. 7 yds!!!! The whole video is actually 15 min of him under 20 yds.

Attachments

• IMG_2774.MOV
    90.9 MB
The next day my brother was with me.

Attachments

• 3E8CA056-45AD-4094-A6BE-81F96316F3BA.jpeg
    3E8CA056-45AD-4094-A6BE-81F96316F3BA.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 190
Took 3 hrs and calling really loud to get him to commit to coming from 750 yds. He didn’t quite make it as close that day. My brother shot him at 8 yds with his bow.

Find cows now and bulls will be nearby. Bulls are moving around looking for cows now. Don't give up be patient they are there speaking from experience.

Thanks everyone, I watched a few cow calling videos and tried calling last night. I wasn't able to call anything in, but I am feeling good about my calling! We went out for several hours this morning near Parley's summit, but did not hear or see any. We're going to try again around Affleck Park tonight.

Thanks for sharing the video and the picture, that's awesome!!

Saw a little bull across 80 from the golf course around 10/16. Several people pulled over taking pictures. Too late for you I guess. Maybe you were done. Did you find one for your Dad?

Hey guys, I am so sorry for the late reply on this. I had several people reach out and I am so appreciative of the help that we received. There are some awesome guys on this site and I cannot thank them enough. I learned so much through this experience and feel that I became a better hunter and outdoorsman as a result of that.

My dad ended up taking a bull in Bountiful! It wasn’t the biggest bull that we had seen, but he couldn’t be prouder. This hunt was truly a humbling experience. We thought it was going to be much easier, but it was tough. I think the heat played a big part on that. That and moose don’t act the same way that deer and elk do. Overall this was a fantastic experience and I’m so glad that we were able to spend so much time on the mountain. Like I said, I truly feel that I built some great relationships with some people on this site and I’m very grateful for that. I have attached a few pictures. I hope that everyone is having it or has had a great season! Thanks again!

A66F22A6-6D03-4D39-9E29-D187A81A2EEB.jpeg

C2BAE93D-E085-4E43-A2A8-035E87BD4962.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0825.MP4
    10.5 MB
He did pay the price and killed it with a sharp stick - cool man!

Sometimes the price of success is higher than other times. Ya gotta love ‘em all.

Well done,
Zeke

I was hoping you were able to find a bull and happy you did.
Hunting, especially with a family member is as good as it gets in my book. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom