east murder creek

P

packerhorse

Well we've talked about the west side, now how about the east side. We've hunted there before with no luck, but I figured that was because we were in the wrong area. Beautiful country high up and I would like to keep hunting the area but I need to know where to go to find the honey holes that hold the elk. Yes I do have the mules and all the equipment to go into the wilderness, done it forever. Just live in Oregon and am looking for a pack in area to hunt Elk.
Packer

We took our horses into the Srtawberrys about 5 years ago during deer season, I saw more hunters there than I did down in the roaded area so I never went back up. I'm not sure what it's like in elk season but I know it gets hunted, eveyone is looking for a place to get away from the hunters. that unit is pretty limited on tags anyway so you can pack in but you don't have to.

Strawberry is a small Wilderness area and very easy to access. There is easy access to the entire eastern half from the north or the south. The western portion is more difficult to access and is likely where I would look if I had mules. We hunt it almost every year (archery) and find most of the elk outside of the wilderness. A couple of years ago we found a herd 2 weeks before season in a canyon about 5 miles into the wilderness and opening day someone set their wall tent up in the very meadow the elk were using.

Back
Top Bottom