Eastern MT EHD?

Brushbuster

Got a hunt this November in eastern Montana. Heard some talk about EHD hitting some deer pretty hard in North Dakota and Nebraska so I’m wondering if there was a big die off in eastern Montana?

My buddy in Nebraska said this year was by far the worse year he’s seen in central Nebraska for deer in over 40 years.

How do the mule deer look? Are they doing ok this winter?
This winter has been a mild one and that is needed for the mule deer. The drought has taken a toll and mule deer numbers are down over all in the SE part of Montana. Private land is fairing better than the bigger blocks of public were numbers have been in the outhouse for a decade.

How do the mule deer look? Are they doing ok this winter?
EHD has very little of any effect on mule deer. If anything the competition it clears out from the whitetails is a good thing. The last three winters have been nonexistent in NE MT and this year was the same. Some rain would help, but drought isn’t nearly as hard on deer in ag areas as it is in true desert areas. I would argue that in areas with farmland a drought is better then a wet year for antler growth as the feed is much more nutrient dense and less bulk. A drought in NE MT is similar in rainfall to a wet year in AZ or S UT. Wet years up here just create a lot of bulky low protein feed and that’s actually worse for the bucks.

EHD has very little of any effect on mule deer. If anything the competition it clears out from the whitetails is a good thing. The last three winters have been nonexistent in NE MT and this year was the same. Some rain would help, but drought isn’t nearly as hard on deer in ag areas as it is in true desert areas. I would argue that in areas with farmland a drought is better then a wet year for antler growth as the feed is much more nutrient dense and less bulk. A drought in NE MT is similar in rainfall to a wet year in AZ or S UT. Wet years up here just create a lot of bulky low protein feed and that’s actually worse for the bucks.
Really never thought of it that way but that makes a lot of sense. I’ve heard mule deer numbers were down in region 7 and they decided to cut doe tags. Hopefully my region 7 hunt turns out promising. Wasn’t out there last year but I heard it was a bit of a struggle to get on good bucks. But like you said yote, maybe they can thrive with less competition and more ag field feed

Really never thought of it that way but that makes a lot of sense. I’ve heard mule deer numbers were down in region 7 and they decided to cut doe tags. Hopefully my region 7 hunt turns out promising. Wasn’t out there last year but I heard it was a bit of a struggle to get on good bucks. But like you said yote, maybe they can thrive with less competition and more ag field feed
I’m up by region 6 and that may be different. It was dry as hell, but the deer always have plenty to eat here. Not like a drought in the desert SW where they literally starve to death. A lot of crops got left standing as they weren’t good enough to waste the fuel on combining and the deer winter in those and do exceptionally well. My farm in central ND was about 20 miles east of the line where EHD wiped out the whitetail. We didn’t lose any and had the best whitetail year I’ve ever seen coming off the easy winter and the droughted feed. Had several bucks that added 40” from 3.5 to 4.5 yrs old.

I agree with everything yotebuster has said, but will add a few. Like he said the reduced competition from whitetails is a good thing for mule deer. EHD may be the only thing keeping whitetails from pushing mule deer out of eastern Montana. The way EHD hurts mule deer is hunters shifting from whitetails to mule deer and this makes it even tougher to find an older buck after EHD years.
Region 7 is dryer than region 6 so the drought has effected the deer more, Number are down 30 to 40 percent. Also, much of the public land has only marginal water sources and during a drought they often dry up completely and deer are forced to move to private.

You also make a great point about people focusing on mule deer after EHD years. Yes I have read that numbers are down. Luckily, I will be on private. My hope is that there is some older age class still around. I know population was growing or at least pretty stable before the last few years so maybe there are a few 5+ year old bucks still around if I’m lucky.

Five year old bucks in region 7 are hard to find even on the most private land. A five year old buck with good genetics are close to extinct. SE Montana is a place to go hunting were you should focus on seeing some great country and a good time, not on antlers unless you are paying top dollar on a very large and well managed ranch.

Definitely going to enjoy the experience. Always hope to get lucky to find a good buck but I’m going with a couple buddies and we will have a good time. I went to the ranch a couple years ago and had a good hunt. They do lots of management hunts and seem to manage the place well, and it is very large. Uncle got a mid 170s buck with nice mass and frame. Can’t wait to get back. Love that country for hunting mule deer
5B68F718-37FF-40AB-82C1-F11F12FA0737.jpeg

Antlerradar hit the nail on the head for NE Montana, whitetail got wiped out pretty bad with EHD so all of the decent mule deer got hammered that were on public land. It’ll trend that way for the next 3-5 years until the whitetail come back, unless they get hit with EHD again.

Well hopefully the good bucks that are left find their way on to the ranch we are hunting….
Saw another little drizzle of moisture yesterday. Hopefully this is the start of a good spring.

Just reading through the posts it sounds like Montana doesn't set different quotas for mule deer vs whitetails? If that is true, it would make a lot of sense that they would segment these out. I know they do this in Wyo, Colo, and elsewhere to put more hunting pressure on whitetails.

Just reading through the posts it sounds like Montana doesn't set different quotas for mule deer vs whitetails? If that is true, it would make a lot of sense that they would segment these out. I know they do this in Wyo, Colo, and elsewhere to put more hunting pressure on whitetails.
nope montana doesn't and they never will license is good for whitetails or mule deer common sense and montana wildlife do not go together

Sounds like Montana needs to step up and make the change? Unless they are tickled to death with whitetails dominating the landscape?

Sounds like Montana needs to step up and make the change? Unless they are tickled to death with whitetails dominating the landscape?
elk and deer in montana are classified as rodents that need to be exterminated at any and all cost so our govonor and senator daines & his freinds can buy up public land for development but they have to get rid of all those pesky nusiance elk and deer first

Looks like eastern montana has had a wet spring so far. Hopefully it helps the drought issue. At least help out the ranchers and get the cattle some feed and fill creeks. Maybe the deer can have a healthy year and grow some decent racks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom