Eastern Oregon DIY OTC Archery Elk Hunt

CarnivoreWithBow

Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times! My brother and I are headed to Oregon this year for OTC archery elk. We have only been able to e-scout/GoHunt and have not been able to go in person to scout units. Our number 1 priority in choosing a unit, is lack of heavy hunting pressure. We'd take small bulls and less people over the opposite. At the same time, we realize that any OTC unit is going to have pressure. That being said, there are still some areas out there with solid elk herds that are tougher terrain and not many roads around, cutting down on hunting pressure. We had our eyes trained on Unit 62 (Pine Creek) as where we had planned to try. But after a recent conversation with the biologist in that area, it sounds like that unit gets hit pretty hard as well and tons of people. So now I feel a bit deflated. He mentioned there being a ton of elk in unit 50 Desolation, but everything I've read online says that unit is a zoo with people. Have any of you on here had experience in either of those units (62 or 50) and if so, would you recommend either? I've also heard 46 Murderers Creek is popular? Thanks so much for the insight/advice!

All of the units you're mentioning have elk and all have pressure. Comes with OTC tags. Honestly, just pick one and expect to have to try harder than the next guy. 90% of people will be within a mile of the road. There are rag bulls to be had anywhere but due to the pressure you need to be on your A game as they're pretty educated. The closer you get to the last week of the season the more the pressure increases.

tc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom