Easy way to preserve velvet?

4corners_sportsman

I got a muley today with nice velvet. I’ve read online about preserving velvet but there are a million different answers. Does anyone have experience with preserving velvet?

freeze drying, IMO is the best. Take it to your fav meat locker and leave it for a bit until if dehydrates.

Takes months to freeze dry.

Knoblochs Velvet Tan. Denatured Alcohol will also work. Be sure to get all the blood out of the velvet.

Get some Velveloc I used it last year on a buck and it turned out good. the velvet wasn't in the best shape but it preserved it just like it was.

Just spray it on and let it sit for 3 days in an up right position and you are good to go.

Last edited:
I got a muley today with nice velvet. I’ve read online about preserving velvet but there are a million different answers. Does anyone have experience with preserving velvet?
Lets see a picture of your buck.

Get some Velveloc I used it last year on a buck and it turned out good. the velvet wasn't in the best shape but it preserved it just like it was.

Just spray it on and let it sit for 3 days in an up right position and you are good to go.

A local taxidermist used this stuff and the velvet rotted….just be careful. Nothing beats freeze dried or total injection, IMO.

Thanks everyone. The buck is in the freezer now. I got him yesterday morning. How long would you guys freeze it for and what steps do you take afterwards?

Thanks everyone. The buck is in the freezer now. I got him yesterday morning. How long would you guys freeze it for and what steps do you take afterwards?
If you do it in your own freezer it will take a long time! It also needs to be a moisture free freezer. When we’re taking freeze dried, most are talking about commercial freeze dried machines designed for that purpose. I’ve know many who tried their own freezers for almost a year……only to have the blood rot when it thawed.

A local taxidermist used this stuff and the velvet rotted….just be careful. Nothing beats freeze dried or total injection, IMO.
That is the first bad review I have seen of the stuff.

My taxidermist actually soaks the rack in methanol for about 2 weeks. Works great.

But for the do it yourself stuff the velvelock is the way to go. I've seen several that have been preserved with it. I would trust it especially if I know I can't get it to a taxidermist to do it professionally.

I used some stuff called Antler in velvet tan on mine a few years back and it turned out pretty good.. I did put it in the freezer for a week or so while I found this stuff so it didn’t spoil.

338B847F-C535-464B-95F6-588AE0353A94.jpeg

0D73C5CC-CB3B-492D-AB50-51D707413A4A.jpeg

Last edited:
One important thing to remember, with all the new CWD restrictions. You cannot transport antlers with fresh live velvet, it has to be dried, or finished by a taxidermist!

I’ve used Velvalok in the past with excellent results! You want to really soak the antlers and let them sit outside for 72 hours. The hotter, the better! Like 100 degrees outside!! I’ve also heard taxidermist giving it a bad review! But then again, it would take away from their business, if average joe guys could just use this product accordingly for $30 a bottle to preserve!

CWD
Idaho does not allow the importation of a carcass or any part of a wild deer, elk, or moose from another state, Canadian province, or other country where CWD has been found, EXCEPT:
• Meat that is cut and wrapped
• Quarters or deboned meat that does not include brain or spinal tissue
• Edible organs that do not include brains • Hides without heads
• Ivories, buglers or whistlers
• Finished taxidermy
• Dried antlers, including dried or cured velvet antlers • Cleaned and dried skulls or skull caps

Wyoming
Only the following parts of any deer, elk or moose taken in Wyoming may be transported to other states, provinces or countries: edible portions with no part of the spinal column or head; cleaned hide without the head; skull or skull plate or antlers that have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue; teeth; or, finished taxidermy mounts. Whole deer, elk and moose carcasses shall not be transported out of Wyoming.

Read it however you want, but I have worked the check stations and have seen people turned around with fresh live velvet on their antlers

Ok I sprayed some velvalok on my buck. Did you guys use the whole bottle in one application or do multiple coats for best results? I still have about 1/4 of the 12 oz spray left.

Ok I sprayed some velvalok on my buck. Did you guys use the whole bottle in one application or do multiple coats for best results? I still have about 1/4 of the 12 oz spray left.
Use the entire bottle! If it’s 165’’ or bigger. I would spray one more bottle for insurance 10-14 days later. I think it’s $30 bucks a bottle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom