Eberle just one back pack

Y

yaman

I am interested in this pack, and I read all the forum information that everyone listed, which was great. My questions are. Has anyone tried the new just one pack with the stiffer frame? I believe it is called the J105 model. Does it compare with the regular 104 pack as far as comfort? What would be the advantage and disadvanatages of buying this pack versus the original pack? Also has anyone bought this pack that did not like it and then found a pack that they liked better? My last question is. Would this pack strap on the sissy bar of a motorcycle so it could be used as a travel pack also?
thanks, yaman

I just got the J104. I thought about the J105 but didn't want to spend the extra money for it. From what I read and researched is that you couldn't go wrong with either one. I love the pack and can't wait to use it this year. I plan on using it for fishing, goose hunting, big game hunting and just use it when I go on a non hunting trip. I'm sure it will strap on to the sissy bar on your bike. Go to there web site and send them a message. They'll answer all your questions.

My brother-in-law just spent three 13 hour days under his new J105 chasing mountain goats, and he loves the new pack. He used to be a Badlands guy.

I just returned from a five day spike in muley hunt at 11k in Colorado taking up 70lbs of camp with my J104. The pack easily converts back to a day pack for my daily hunt with no problems.

Can't go wrong with the J104 or the J105, they are both great packs!

Check out the differences at www.eberlestock.com

Ed

Brian,

Tough hunt! Lots of bulls; elk and moose, but no muleys. They just were not in the area for whatever reason.

Taking my daughter tomorrow to Ely for her first Jr muley hunt. We're going to give her one weekend with the smokepole, then maybe go back at the end of the rifle season if needed.

Good luck in Elko next month. My bro-in-law is headed back to the Rubies, and hopefully he'll connect with a nice billy this weekend.

Ed

I bought the first generation Just One pack this summer. The design of the pack is fantastic. I particularly like: the gun scabbard; the horizontal and vertical compression straps which allow you to keep the pack as compact as possible, and to attach antlers or other trophies to your pack; the large mesh pocket so that meat can breath when you're packing it out; the ability to zip the mesh pocket together and use the pack as a daypack; the large side pockets, good for carrying tripods, spotting scopes, etc; the numerous pockets and access points, making it easy to organize and find your gear; the quiet material; the two sided (blaze orange and grey) zip-out cover for the mesh pocket (when Glen Eberle sent me free of charge when I called to order it); etc (I could go on and on, but you get the idea).

On the negative side, I found that the right side of the hip belt dug into the small of my back. After the first day of packing I figured out the reason for this. There is a pocket behind the right side of the hip belt, which I had stuffed pretty full with gear. The rifle scabbard is on the left side, and even with my rifle in it, this side has a lot of empty space, leading to an imbalance. Once I figured this out, I stuffed a jacket up the left side of the pack in the space next to the scabbard. That solved the problem, although there is a risk that my jacket may fall out one day, since there is no closure on the space at the bottom of the pack.

The other problem that I had was the material the pack was made from was too weak. On the second day of my first trip with this pack I carried out 1/2 of a boned-out muley and some gear. The bottom of the pack tore where the vertical compression strap attaches, at the junction of the mesh and solid material. Not a good thing. I spoke to to Glen Eberle about this a couple of days ago. He told me they had had a problem with the material used on the first generation pack, which has now been corrected. Of the several thousand second generation packs (with new, stronger material) they have shipped so far, there have been no failures. Glen told me to send him my pack and he would replace it with a new second-generation pack, free of charge. You can't ask for better customer service than that.

To give you an idea how much I like this pack, even after it tore I took it on second backpack hunt, this time for blacktail up in the alpine, rather than taking my old pack. No problems packing out my gear and a boned-out blacktail buck on that trip. In my view, there is no reason not to buy one of the Just One packs - they are the best I've seen on the market, backed up by fantastic customer service.

I can second what everybody has already stated. I am not going to go on and on because you can do a search and see all of the good things people have said about this pack. All I can tell you is that I have owned a TON of packs and I have yet to find one that I like as much as the Eberlestock pack.

Drummond

PS, I am elk hunting this weekend and I will post pics of the pack in action if I am luck enough to put my tag on a big old NM bull.

I have the J104 and it is one heck of a pack. I just used mine in WY to pack 110+ lb. out of a hole. It creaked and groaned a little when I first stood up, but was fine afterwards. A frame would have been more comfortable, but the pack held up perfectly. The only drawback I see with the pack is that the pack rides a little low. I guess that's so you can get you rifle out of the scabbard. I think the more pricey model allows you to adjust how high the pack sits on the harness.

I love mine! As far as the rifle scabbard, I did not like it at first, but makes a great place to put rain gear and stuff. If I had a complaint it would be that it is too easy to overload it and carry a bunch of stuuff you don't need. At 15-25 lbs it carries awsome, look forward to hauling some meat.

I bought a J105 this year and just used it for the first time. The J105 is definetly stiffer then the 104 due to the plastic support plate. What sold me on the 105 is the the ability to adjust the shoulder straps for torso length. I like it so far, just need to try and get it a little bloody before the deer muzzleloader ends Weds.

go with eberlestock - forget the rest, buy the best - check them out. I use my Justone almost everyday and have for almost a year. I hunt with it, then it's my phtography pack. Just a damn useful pack. That picture of the guy packing out the mule deer buck on eberlestock.com is one of my hunting partners wearing my pack with me taking the photo. . . He bought one after the trip.

They also make the gun-slinger it's a good day pack that handles a bow - very kool pack. You can try them out at sportsmans warehouse - in most areas, not sure where youre at.

I dont get any kickbacks for this, it's just my opinion.

www.eberelstock.com

1st season with the J104, great pack, versatile enough for any situation. I am a bow hunter but the scabbard makes a great slot for the tripod and spotter.

Yaman, I bought the J105 before archery season and absolutly love it. It is by far the best pack I have owned, and I have gone through packs. I think you will be happy with either one. I packed about 40lbs every day and it worked great. Good luck.

Here are some pictures of the Eberlestock Just One in the field.

The first is a 140lbs of my brother-in-law's 2004 Nevada bull elk being brought out by Thomas Brunson, Master Guide at Timberline Outfitters.

J10420packing20elk20xsm1.jpg

The next is my son on our 2005 Colorado muley hunt at 11'k. We had brought 70lbs of camp/hunt gear in, and then coverted it back to a daypack. Notice his smokepole tucked away in the scabbard.

DSC00184.jpg

The last is of Paul Harris of Henderson, Nevada with his awesome Yukon Dall. His bow is secured easily with the compression straps.

PackingOutsm1.jpg

Great performance out of a daypack.

Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom