Eddystone 1917 30-06

Lhedrick1

Anyone know what the stock style for this gun would be? I am looking at getting a lighter weight synthetic stock but not sure if such a beast is mass made. Its a Mauser action but I dont think it would be considered a k98. Ive read that it could be considered an Enfield 1917?
20190526_161826.jpg

It is an enfield. yes, they are heavy. believe boyds has stocks, bell and carlson used to make stocks for them too. I have several 1917's rechambered or rebarreled, all are very good shooting guns. Just a bit heavy on the shoulder hiking the mountains.

It is an enfield. yes, they are heavy. believe boyds has stocks, bell and carlson used to make stocks for them too. I have several 1917's rechambered or rebarreled, all are very good shooting guns. Just a bit heavy on the shoulder hiking the mountains.

Thanks Jim. I'll start with Bell and Carlson. That's the one I wanted but they don't list an Enfield on their site.

I can not recall ever seeing a synthetic stock being made for the 1917 Enfield. Heck, re-chamber it from 30-06 to 300 Win. mag and you will be glad you have the extra weight to absorb the recoil.
RELH

Thanks Jim. I'll start with Bell and Carlson. That's the one I wanted but they don't list an Enfield on their site.
Don't think they make them anymore, check their site for any leftovers. See some pop up on ebay or gunbroker now and then. Think richards microfit had laminate stocks for enfields too.

Bell and Carlson don't make one anymore. All I coukd find was Boyds and im not sure one of their laminate stocks would be a whole hell of a lot lighter than the clunky wood stock on it now.

Would love a .300 Winny. But it shoots pretty damn good as an '06. With a peep site to boot.

The laminate stocks are usually heavier then a standard walnut wood stock. Your walnut stock looks like a "Robert"s gun stocks" Monte Carlo stock that was very popular in the 60's and 70's.
That company sold out to the Great American Gunstock company located in Yuba City, CA.
RELH

I wonder being that its a Mauser action, if a Weatherby, model 70, k98 etc. Would have similar inletting where one of those stocks could be altered and used?

You are trying to paddle up the creek without a paddle. If you have to ask that question, you do not have the experience in order to modify a synthetic stock made for a different rifle to accept your barrel action. You would be better off buying a economy priced rifle that comes with a synthetic stock.
RELH

You are trying to paddle up the creek without a paddle. If you have to ask that question, you do not have the experience in order to modify a synthetic stock made for a different rifle to accept your barrel action. You would be better off buying a economy priced rifle that comes with a synthetic stock.
RELH

I dunno.... I know two really good gunsmiths that can do just about anything. Ill tell em do your best and glassbed the rest

You need to talk to those gunsmiths for their opinion if it is feasible. Two main things come to mind. The distance between the rear and front receiver bolts. The cut out for the dog leg bolt handle you have on your enfield. If it can be done, you might find it very expensive for the labor involved as compared to buying another rifle and having two rifles for a little more money.
As for me I would leave the rifle as it is. Who ever made the rifle into a sporting hunting rifle did a very good job and the rifle is darn good looking. I am willing to bet it was done in the 50's or 60's by a good gunsmith.
RELH

You need to talk to those gunsmiths for their opinion if it is feasible. Two main things come to mind. The distance between the rear and front receiver bolts. The cut out for the dog leg bolt handle you have on your enfield. If it can be done, you might find it very expensive for the labor involved as compared to buying another rifle and having two rifles for a little more money.
As for me I would leave the rifle as it is. Who ever made the rifle into a sporting hunting rifle did a very good job and the rifle is darn good looking. I am willing to bet it was done in the 50's or 60's by a good gunsmith.
RELH

The thing definately shoots. I may just swap triggers and throw a scope on it to see what its really capable of. After researching these guns it seems most were 26" barrels. I dont recall mine being that long. Could have been cut and recrowned as part of the "sporterizing"process I suppose. The stock on it is definately well made. Very thick and very dense. Fits very well. Only issue other than very heavy is the trigger is horrible. There is about 3/8" of travel before you get to a 5lb+ wall. I think a Timney @ about 3 lbs will fix that.

150 gr Partition out of that gun outta be meat and potatoes.

For starters it’s not a Mauser. Closest thing commercially would be the Remington model 30, which is basically what you have there as the ears have been removed and the magazine has been modified.. and it was done quite well from the looks of it.

A stock would be a custom job, you can have the handle replaced to get rid of the dog leg, but the cost will add up. I’d personally just modify the stock you have to your liking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom