Effect of Cattle on Deer area

B

bullseye

Does anybody have an opinion on how Cattle effect a Deer area?

My Hunting area this year was full of Cattle, they were everywhere!

We saw very few Deer, Mule and Coues Does no Bucks.

I have always believed that Cattle had no effect on an area, in other words they do not spook the Deer.

Would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

BILL

I don't think they spook deer or run them out of the country as I have seen deer feeding around cattle alot, but I read somewhere that coues deer preferred areas with tall grass, ungrazed by cattle(Game and Fish website I am pretty sure). Cattle can make stalking animals tough especially if they are the half wild suckers I usually run into that take off at a dead run and spook everything in their path. Sometimes when it is extremely dry the deer have to be near cattle as that is the only water source around for miles (Ranchers hauling water to stock daily or weekly). That seemed to be the case this year in alot of places I glassed deer up. Hope that helps a little.

Bret Mattausch

i wonder if they drive the bucks away because where we are hunting we have seen about 40 does and no bucks also there were a lot of cows around the area. the area that i shot my buck was lower than the cattle but were we are hunting now sure does have a lot of cattle and there has been a whole bunch of does and no bucks. its not because of hunting pressure but i have no idea y
casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom