elevation effects on bullet path

alinrut

Question for the experts out there...

I'm shooting a 300 WSM with the Federal Vita-Shock in the Nosler Partition at 180 grains.

I'm going on a "high altitude" hunt in Colorado and will be up around 10-11 thousand feet. So these are the conditions.

Question is, "does the high altitude and thinner air have any significant effect on the bullet drop out to 300 or 400 yards?"

I've had a few tell me that the rifle zeroed at 250 yards will have about a 6 inch drop on point of impact at the same distance at 10,000 feet of elevation.

Just looking to open the discussion, bottom line is that I will bring some bullets and get there a few days early and confirm my zero prior to going out in the mountains.

Thanks for the input ahead of time...

al

Don't sweat it...

Shot angle and being able to hold steady in real life hunting conditions is a much more important factor...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

If I read your post correct you are being told your bullet will drop faster. That is not correct your bullet will drop less at the higher elevation.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

This a a website you can use put in your bullet weigh so on and so forth and it will tell you where your bullet will be.

>Don't sweat it...
>
>Shot angle and being able to
>hold steady in real life
>hunting conditions is a much
>more important factor...
>
>
horsepoop.gif

>
I'm with Snort. Don't sweat it. Assuming you sighted in at exactly sea level, and made your shot at 10,000 feet, the variation from elevation will be the least of your worries.

That is a cool trajectory/ballistics calculator that was posted though. I plugged in one of my favorites on there and found a total change from the scenario above to be about 6-7 inches in bullet drop at 500 yards. If it makes you more confident take some ammo and mess around with it until you get it where you want it. For most scenarios it won't be a deal breaker if you don't. But, any excuse to shoot is a great reason to get behind the rifle.

Now someone just needs to find a calculator that would be helpful to Overton. Something like I'm going to Idaho to hunt deer, I'll be there for _____ days, I'll be shooting a ____ caliber, I'm taking _____ pairs of glasses, at ________ elevation, the number of boxes of rounds you should take are __________.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p] WITH ALL THE FACTORS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN SHOOTING AT LONG DISTANCES.....I WILL BET YOU SHOOT MORE ACCURATELY IF YOU FORGET ABOUT THE ELEVATION BS......I SHOOT THE SAME ROUND,180 NOSLER BULLET, AND BRAND.........YD.

The best thing you can do is once you get to your hunting area, test it out with a few shots and see what happens. This will help with your confidence and that is the most important part.

I was thinking more along the lines of .73456 inches higher due to the depression 50 yards out from the muzzle. But I'll figure in the difference and call it good.

No, seriously...thanks for all the input. I agree with all on the idea of just getting out and shooting once I get there.

al

I was just bein cute. Here's a link to a ballistic calculator that I've had some luck with. I generally plug in 5000 feet and not worry about it from there. If you are going really high you can adjust numbers accordingly.

I should add that without accurate data this tool will not help u any. You need your bullets BC and, most importantly, the velocity you are getting with that load from that rifle. Be careful, you are on the slipperly slope to reloading!!

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx

Pre64,

No worries on the "getting cute" a sense of humor is both expected and respected. And you're absolutely right on the dangerously close to reloading. I've thought about it before and one of these days when I get the time, I just might find myself with a handful of Brass, some powder, and a "MM" post full of info. That's where the fun will begin.

I'll take a look at the links and see what I come up with. I'm happy with my gun, happy with my scope, and happy with my bullet. Now if I can be happy at the end of next season... we'll see.

Take care all, and thanks for the posts/advice.

al

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom