Elk 30 Idaho

IDoutdoors

Wondered if anyone had any info on the controlled bull ek hunt in unit 30. I was lucky enough to draw this tag This is the first bull tag I have ever drawn. I have been in this unit twice hunting for deer several years ago but never hunted elk there. I’m going to do some scouting trips and have looked for info on the net from past posts. Is this hunt dependent on snow? I was thinking of hunting the southern end of the unit. What should I expect for caliber of bulls? Do the elk come down to the foothills depending on snow and montana hunters pushing them over the border? Is access good depending on snow? Any general info is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM Me. Thanks!!

I drew this this same tag about 10 or 12 years ago. I don't think it's changed much. I went up the 1st couple days of season just to look around. But saw a ton of elk, and shot a small 6x6. Talked to a guy that said I should have waited til later in season. Said the bigger bulks show up down lower. But just last week was up there looking for a mule deer, and talked to a local guy that said if there's lots of snow, it's hard to get up to where the bigger bulls will be on the open ridges. So I guess be flexible.
Tons of access. I hunted Reese creek, ramses mountain, yerian creek, Peterson creek. Central part of unit.
If you've got a secret on where to look for a mule deer, I'll listen! 3 days up there, one muley doe. Bummer.
I did see elk on ramses mountain.
PM me if you want. I'll try and remember to check messages.

Oh, and I did see quite a few Montana hunters patrolling divide road. I think they were hoping to catch them crossing back and forth.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom