Elk and wolves in unit 27

Hi all,

Have been a lurker for a while now. Have not hunted Id for several years so not much to contribute. I am a NR from WI. and have decided to look into hunting Idaho again.

A buddy and i are hunting Colo. during the muzzy season and thought when we finish there it would be fun to try the back country the end of Sep. w/a B tag in our pocket.

I wanted to hunt 20A originaly but after talking to Tom Keegan and Mike Scott decided that was not a good idea. They said the elk #s were way down in that unit and after doing some research I found that the fires had burned around Cold meadows and would require a heck of a hike to get into the green stuff. "Lower cottonwood and phantom meadows area". I know this area because back in 1985 I went to Scott and Shelda Farr's guide school in Challis then got hired by Cal and Jolene Stoddard. At the time they owned and operated Cold Meadows outfitters , now it's Salmon river lodge. I guided in 20A the first year then in 26 the year after. I always loved Cold meadows for some strange reason.

Mike and Tom both said that 27 might be worth a shot, not easy by any stretch but with hard work might be able to at least have a shot at seeing some elk. I myself would be just as happy to bust a wolf in the chops. But would be nice at a crack at both.

It goes without saying that I am not looking for specific areas but will say it anyway. I will be coming out this summer to scout if there is any encouraging news at all. Do you think 27 is worth a look for a wolf elk combo? If so how far in do you think one would have to pack in to be into elk? I know, that that last one is a tough one. Thats like asking how much fox hides will be worth this fall. I am 51 so aint no spring chicken but am pretty tough, " for a day or two".

Does anyone know Rick Bratton "spelling"? I worked with him way back when. He said i was a hell of a hand for the hand I was. still haven't figured out exactly what he meant yet, LOL.

Thanks, Rich

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-13 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]Do you have horses? Or access to them?
Old but kind of a neat video, that's unit 27 and probably what to expect there. Pretty gnarly to do on foot in September, but I'm sure some guys do/have!

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he
would have made broccoli more fun to
shoot...

I know the best way to hunt that country is with horses but no I do not have any. That country is rough and ain't for sissies for sure. Better have good glass and great boots.

Thanks for the video link, that was pretty cool and brought back a lot of memories. Good eaten bull that guy shot. It's not the size of the animal so much as it is the size of the adventure. Hunting the breaks is most definitly an adventure.

Yeah if I had horses etc, setting a wall tent up in that unit for two weeks would be my dream hunt, plus you get November also on the same tag. The outfitters and guys with stock will out pack you into the ground 10-20 miles back. But I've always thought that there has to be some over looked draws fairly "close" to the river or main trail heads in units like these.

shoot...

The guys with stock can have the elk way back in. The outfitters need to get there clients back in far enough so the dudes feel like they are getting their moneys worth or it may cause hard feelings. The diy guys with horses want to get back in far enough so as to not be running into people like me on foot.

Yes, your right about the "closer" areas that hold some animals. I'll be happy looking for the elk these guys ride past on there way in. Most likely will take a few seasons to find a good area. But that's all part of the fun. Will start by checking the higher country in Sep. then the river in Nov.

twsnow18, do you know this area?

Exactly. Unfortunately I don't, but one of my buddies dad killed a sheep in this unit last year if I recall. They flew into one of the air strips and hiked from there. They flew in twice in the summer to scout and then once during the season, all extended stays (7-10 days). That doesn't seem like too bad of a route, they found a way to make the flights reasonable with the pilots.

shoot...

Sheep hunting there or anywhere would be my dream hunt. Being a NR and unable to scout enough and not knowing sheep much I would go guided for sure. Would want the deck stacked in my favor as much as possible with a tag like that. Sounds like they had a good plan and it worked for them.

I would have liked to have done a drop camp with one of the outfitters myself but my buddy is younger and has a family and would rather DIY. The hunting part is tough enough then get a bull down back there somewhere and that's a whole new ballgame then. That's where the horses and mules shine right there.

I talked to McCall Air a few times. For 175 bucks for a half hour they will give me a tour of the area. Will most likely go for an hour and check out cold meadows and chamberlain basin too just for the nuts of it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-13 AT 08:26AM (MST)[p]I've hunted 27 a few times. The typical hunt is to fly into one of the air strips. It's been a few years since I've been in the unit so the elk numbers might have changed. Our last hunt we saw elk every day - mostly cows. We didn't see a legal bull until the last day. We shot cows two miles from camp. I'd guess this is a typical distance for a kill.

While I never saw a wolf, I saw tracks daily. Other hunters saw wolves during our hunt. I'm sure the woves have continued to play havoc on the elk population. My instinct tells me there are easier and better hunts for a NR. However, you'll be hunting the Frank Church Wilderness, which is awesome in itself.

I can give you more detailed info by PM.

brymoore, thanks for the kick back. Congrats on putting some elk steaks in the freezer.

I was lucky enough to shoot a wolf in BC in Feb and now am almost more excited to smoke a another one than to take an elk. I looked into a NR trapping license but at 300 bucks and the trapper ed will have to pass on that one. "Dang it".

Sent you a pm.

I have hunted that area the last few years. I dont mean to put a damper on your plans but we packed in 14 miles last year while deer hunting in Nov. and saw hardly any sign of elk. 3 of us all with good optics in 6 days saw 1-5point bull. Considering how much area we looked over this was sickening. If your wanting a wolf this is a solid choice for sure. We saw far more sign of wolf than we did elk. Still this country holds a special place to me as it is literally like going back in time for sure.

I hunted a few times around Sheep Mountain. Over the last decade the elk population seems to have come down to where the deer population is, very low. Every time I go back I see less and less game. Now the only reason I go back, is the awesomeness of that country. Huge, steep, just big mountains. I love big mountains.;)
You would be doing us all a favor if you could eliminate as many wolves as you could. It is very sad when you see a healthy elk that has been killed by wolves and less than half has been eaten. Last time I went I saw just as many skeletons as live game.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Things do not sound good for the big game in 27 or anywhere in the back country areas period.

I was looking at the Middle fork lodge website and they show pics of some nice bulls that i'm thinking had to come out of that area somewhere somehow.

I also found out that the Farrs run the hunts out of the Middle fork lodge. That's who had the guide school that I went to back in 1985. I will have to talk to them and see if they will help an old packer,tracker and guide out.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Thunderclapper,

That would be great. I am strongly thinking of trying to make it out there myself at about the same time. Not to excited about paying the gas bill but I would really like to check a few things out before I start buying tags.

Maybe we can compare notes.

Was also maybe going to check out unit 19 in the Selway, the kill % in there looks like it would be worth a look. Not sure of how many outfitters hunt in there so maybe the #'s are skewed but would still like to take a peek at it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom