Elk antler growth question

huntin50

Very Active Member
I have seen a few nice bulls lately. On antler development. Are elk still growing some on the front 3 tines, during the first of July.? Or just growing the beam, and top 4th and 5th points? I have looked at some pictures on antler growth and figure they are about done with front tines in mid June. What are your thoughts experts?
Thanks

So my main question if a bull looks like his first 3 tines look fully developed by June 15, with short 4th and 2 inch fifth point and short developing beam. Will the first 3 points grow any between June 15 and July 15th, when they are pretty much fully developed?
Thanks

Here are some pictures I got a couple years ago of a bull on July 8th. I would say his first 3 points are done growing and probably not going to get any longer.
Screenshot_20220704-181222_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220704-181259_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220704-181320_Gallery.jpg

My thoughts are once they are tipped out and sharper looking they probably ain't putting on any more for those points.

That is a good thought Jake. Thanks
the picture I have is from June 14th. Maybe a month left of growth. The first 3 look fairly pointed. I wondered if he would grow another inch or two on the fronts, since he still has about half of his 4th, most of his 5th, and 10-12 inches of beam Expected to grow.

Personally I think they grow till end of this month at least, and maybee more Here in Arizona anyway......................BULL!

This is an interesting thread. I have been wondering the same thing and have watched this movie like 10 time trying to pin point when the fronts stop and then again when the backs stop. My observation is by July the fronts are done and you may only get a couple inches at best on the backs.

This is an interesting thread. I have been wondering the same thing and have watched this movie like 10 time trying to pin point when the fronts stop and then again when the backs stop. My observation is by July the fronts are done and you may only get a couple inches at best on the backs.

His fronts were done my mid May for sure.

It all depends on the individual bull. We know some bulls are February shedders just like some Muleys dump January.
Jake brings up the best “point”. If tines are rounded off except some growth.

B2A35422-10E7-4DE3-A8BA-4290D73BF2B1.jpeg

Thanks, I watched the same video many times, and others. Wondering if elk ranchers hold any data?
I think most front 3 tines on mature 6 point bulls are done by first of June.
some bulls maybe earlier or a little later, like some boys still grow at 18-19, but most are done at 17.

As pointed out some areas antlers are shed and develop quicker than others. Also younger vs older bulls generally develop different dates. My guess is that velvet on bulls in states or Canada further north matures on bulls different than southern states. Pen raised bulls may be different than wild bulls that have more stress. There are a number of factors but probably some “generalities”.

I would also agree with JakeH that once tines are sharp pointed they are done.

Here are a couple of pics of one bull at Sybille taken on July 8 and July 22. Fronts grew quite a bit and the rest really took off.
They are high fenced and fed supplements but for their general health not for antler development.

IMG_3143 copy (2).jpg

DSCN1221 (2) copy.jpg

DSCN1220 (2) copy.jpg

I am thinking here in AZ. they grow a couple more weeks then get ready to rub late august . Somebody from the Rim country or White Mtns. wanna Chime in?....................Bull!.

Wow that is surprising. Are you sure it's the same bull? Incredible growth in two weeks everywhere.
Yep, they are ear tagged and the numbers match.
I should have stopped yesterday they were near the fence again and look even bigger now. Starting to get lighter colored velvet so they will stop growing soon.

I am in South Carolina for the summer with girlfriend and My hunting Buddy just called me on his way back to Phoenix. . He has a landowner tag in New Mexico, He was over there and was helping the guys work this weekend . He said the Bulls are still Growing and has had several archery tags in AZ. He says He has seen Bulls in Velvet still in archery season. Said down South here the big bulls seem to ripen first. I been in AZ. 45 years Really never paid attention. I have been in Early rifle bull season 4 times and they seemed to be hard horned. That is the 23RD of Sept. this year as I have a 3a 3c tag , 1 of only 25. Super stoked. Pics . here first...........................Bull!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom