Elk bullet

Look at No Excuses Bullets. Lots of choices and not expensive. I shoot them in my V2. Centerfire rifle like groups with blackhorn 209 powder.

Barnes 290 TMZ with a Harvester Crush Rib sabot with 84 gr by weight of Blackhorn 209. Work great in my CVA Accura V2.

That may have been why they didn’t group. Even assuming you used 100 gr by volume, that is a STOUT load for a 460 gr conical. My elk load with those bullets was 85-90 gr. The bigger the bullet the less powder you need to use usually with lead conicals. 85 gr of BH 209 with a 460 gr NE bullet will put down any elk walking.

It is kinda getting lost in the new generation but BH is at least 15% more powerful than real blackpowder. That means that 85 grains is basically equal to 100 gr black powder. And some guys smarter than Me say that 100 gr of real black and a 300 gr bullet is good enough to take down an elk. 85 gr of BH and a 460 gr bullet goes above and beyond that.

That said if you can use 290-300 gr Barnes sabot, you should be in great shape.

I was specifically talking about no excuses bullets. You said you couldn’t get them to group. And if you only tried 100 gr of powder, that may have been why.

Don’t believe NE make any 300 conicals for 50 cal. I believe 420 is smallest they make. Muzzleloader are not centerfire rifles. It takes work to find an accurate load

My best elk load has been a Hornady 350 FPB with 90-95 gr of BH. Bigger powder charges than that open up my groups. Of course, they discontinued those bullets

Been shotting Barnes bullets for 15 plus years with great success.

Use them in all 5 of our muzzleloaders.

I use 80 grains of BH and 420 and 495 grain No Excuses group about 3 inches at 100. With a felt wonder wad over the power it is a 1 inch group, All the saboted bullets' from them group under 2 inches at 100. If i go to 90 or 100 grains of BH the groups open up.

Good advise from above with BH POWDER with LESS IS MORE.300 grn barnes X hard to beat for elk.Some where 75- 100 grn by volume and this bullet will group.Bullet when retrieved always looks the same.Good Luck ... Bruce & SilverGrand

20191120_144522.jpg

I have tried for many years to not like this bullet, but fail miserably every year. If a saboted bullet is allowed, I will turn this into a punched tag, whether it be deer, elk, bear, or antelope

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom