Elk Fork on North Fork of Shoshone for Deer

Saevango

Hoping someone can give me general information. I have an Area F mule deer license. We have always hunted the South Fork of the Shoshone and are thinking of trying a new area. We are looking at the Elk Fork area. We are DIY hunters and hike in, not afraid of a hard or long hike. We will arriving on Oct 24. Is this area huntable? Does it receive high hunter numbers? Are there any Deer. Not looking for trophy but the last couple times on the South Fork there where very few deer.

I have been hunting on a region F deer tag several times.
I haven't found any where in the region that holds lots of deer.
But if you get there and the timing and weather all line up, a good bunch of bucks will migrate through many areas across F.
I am a non resident, so only non wilderness area experience.
But even the wilderness areas are very low population of deer 90% of the hunting seasons for an F tag.
Seems I have seen less deer there every year I go.
But it's a relatively easy tag to draw and you just never know.....
A big buck or two gets taken there occasionally.
As of yet I haven't been able to find a real good one yet. But I try every chance I can afford to go.

Elks fork is a pretty popular place. Busy trail head.. most likely a few cow hunters will be in the area. Genrally monsters dont get taken in the area. Need a good snow to push them into moving mode. I personally have never tried that drainiage for muleys but had a solid 160 class buck run out in front of the horses a few years ago.. lot of open country to glass. You wont see a deer around every tree thats for sure. I wont lie it will be a tough hunt. 10 miles in what most call the meadows is a outfitter camp. Im sure they pack up camp after the 21st when elk season closes. Its not like it was 20 years ago.

If you know the migration trails along with some nasty weather you can find some solid bucks. . I have a buddy that guides mule deer hunters and he seems to pull some monster bucks. Meanwhile most hunters really struggle. Not sure what his secret is but if your interested i can pm you his website info to have a look for yourself. He is about the only guy i know to do well.

I will be in the unit come mid nov to dec.7th on a late season bull tag long after the deer hunters are gone

Last edited:
I have hunted it 3 times with family and friends as a non resident the last 4 years. It's a tough hunt. We avoided the elk creek area. We hunted near the wilderness line up all the drainages and with snow you can find migration trails. Look for saddles etc that could funnel deer. Beautiful country. Good luck and report back.

Thank you for the input, doesn't sound like it will be overrun with other hunters when we get there. Does the area hold any resident non migratory deer. The weather so far looks way to warn and nice to get anything moving so we will need to hunt up some resident deer. I know this is going to be tough. The area I have been hunting on South Fork has gotten overloaded with bears and hardly no resident deer. Last time out I think I saw 10 deer for the week. We hunt from first light to dark every day and put 10+ miles on the boots.

North fork has the same amount of bear issues. For resident deer i would expect does and some 2 point bucks and a few mid size bucks.

I usually hunt with horses and i can cover more ground. I usaully see 30 plus deer a day.mainily does. Usaully includes some 120 class or less bucks. I have a bowel that i like to hunt that usally holds a few resident deer. Last few years i see some 150 to 160 class bucks. I tend to watch that bowel all day in hopes of a giant. Usaully some other hunters come in from another drainage and they shoot the bucks i passed on.

I am not a mule deer expert. I enjoy whitetails but with general opening on the 15th on the mountain. i always try to make it up a couple weekends. I never shoot anything. Nothing has given me the wow factor yet. I mostly go to condition the horses.

Its one of those things you dont know unless ya try.

Majority of the resident hunters will be road hunting. I know a small handful of hunters that ride in a long ways to cover ground. Most success comes with snow and those guys wait for that storm and will take off in the middle of the week.

How did the hunt go?
I was up there for general and didnt do well so went to another area

Last 3 weekends which when the late season deer hunt was on i saw 100s and 100s and 100s of deer. Including some monster bucks. But having the late season tag is the best way to hunt it

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom