Elk hunting expectations...

G

gonad8

My little sister drew a youth elk permit....she can hunt any general open bull Sept 15-25. We are thinking about spending some time in the Uinta's but can decide on exactly where to go. I have heard the south slope (red cloud loop area) is easier hunting and may contain more elk but potentially smaller bulls and that the north slope (east fork blacks fork/china meadows area) is a little tougher hunting maybe less elk but potentially larger bulls. We have spent time in both areas during the summer months and are familiar with both areas but I would like any opinions/advice you guys have. What should we expect hunting both the north slope vs slope slope in these specific areas? Is it realistic to try to hold off for a decent 6x6 or should my sister be happy with a rag horn? I know there are plenty of you guys that either live in that area or know it well....any ideas or expectations you could provide would be appreciated. My sister is very excited for this hunt and would love to tag a decent bull.

I would go with the red cloud loop area... North sloop is hareder to hunt and youre right not as many elk unless you go over by hoop lake. Seems to be a good herd their at times.

RCl is chuck full of Cows and Spikes that time of year, no shame for your sister to shoot a Spike though......

68hi7ls.gif

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom