Elk Hunting Gear - what can’t you live without?

jordan hunter

Hi guys first time posting here
When it comes to elk hunting, what are the top three items that you can’t you live without? Bonus points if there are pieces of gear that you think are particularly unique!

Wind checker and some good boots. You can make noise and even some movement with elk, but once they wind you, it is over!! Helps to cover some country to find the elk as well so some good comfortable boots are a must.

Aleve and Tramadol for the pain attained after hunting Elk a few days. A couple good lights for hiking in the dark, A Bear and Cougar tag. So I can hunt what is in front of me.

Outside of the obvious... weapon... I think I feel the most "naked" without high quality optics on a rifle hunt and without a rangefinder on a bow hunt. For me it's Swarovski 10x42 ELs and Leica 1200. And really just the rangefinder I guess, because I can always use my scope to get a better look in a pinch. But I'm not good at guessing ranges out west to get it within 5 yards out past 50-60 when you really need that range precision with a bow. So my range would be limited at best, and my confidence impaired, adding another variable to an already difficult task.

Good boots, good optics and a good plan of how you are getting the meat out. A big animal like elk can catch you by surprise if you are not prepared to get it to the truck

Can't really get by with three. Rifle, handloads (at least 15 rounds), binos (have a built-in rangefinder), spotting scope/tripod, good pack, knife, game bags, food, water and extra socks. Plus appropriate clothing. I also keep a survival kit and small first aid kit in my pack. And a saw sometimes so I can cut antlers off of a skull to lighten the pack out. And never forget blaze orange if required and your license.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom