Elk Jalape?o Summer Sausage

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
7918420161208223448.jpg

It turned out the best I've ever tasted. Proper care, fat removal of the Elk, getting the connective tissue removed, etc. It is the Cabelas kit and I'm sold on it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-16 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]Is that the Hi Mountain kit from Cabelas? I've used them and am sold as well. I like the original. I bust up a bunch of peppercorns and slice up some pepperocinis and put in with the mix. Turns out pretty good. Easy kits to use as well.

Yes, from Cabelas. I also have the Garlic and Black Peppercorn. I'm making Jerky today and then Im able to rest tomorrow. It's been a busy week. It's a lot of work to do all the processing but I do it better than the meat processors.

Agreed. Made Snackin pepperoni sticks yesterday and cooked today. 6 lbs. Doesn't sound like alot, but when your stuffing yourself, holy crap. Then overcooked a little in oven. Still tastes good. Think this relates to another post of yours. Took longer in the oven. Alot of work, but more enjoyable knowing how it was processed for sure.

I bought the garlic and peppercorn last yr. Only did 1 or 2. Think I liked the original better with the add ins. Will try more out next year on the sausage kits. Think I'm burned out for this year.

My smoker went out last nite after 6 years. I bought another Masterbuilt but this time it's a Gen 3 and is the 40" with remote control. I should be able to smoke 15 lbs of Jerky at a time.
I hope it lasts 6 to 8 years as I use them alot making ribs, prime rib,sausage,jerky,smoked Fish and even smoked cheese.
I have never made brisket but I'm planning on it for the 4th of July.
I used my FoodSaver to seal everything up and avoid freezer burn.

Did my first brisket 6 weeks ago. 15 hours cook time. It was kinda fun. Turned out pretty good.

We turned all of our duck into jalapeno summer sausage last year, total winner. Just got done turning two elk into steaks, burger, breakfast sausage and Italian sausage.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom