Elk kabobs wrapped in caul

UtahJimmy

Gave the caul fat a try after a cow elk harvest. Brined for a few days, rinse, repeat.

6725120161005191715.jpg

2569220161005191826.jpg

Finished product:

3233420161005202606.jpg

Overall the flavor added was amazing! Can't wait to try it on some burgers!

I've never done anything with the caul fat, but have of course heard of it. That looks AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing!

S.

Now that's darn interesting! A great way to get more out your harvests. Thanks for posting your idea.

2f350s: Hunt hard, hunt ethically.

Dang it. I've never seen or even hear of that. Never heard of caul either. What part of the intestinal cavity does it come from. Are you using elk caul or beef/pork caul? I can't imagine elk fat would be tasty but.......... it looks amazing and I'd like to give it a spin.

Thanks for sharing.

DC

It's elk caul and it is the sac that hold all the intestines together. You can't miss it, next time you open up the gut cavity delicately roll the intestines out of it. It shears easily so be gentle!

I bet it would be better coming from a pig, I think I changed the brine 3 or 4 times and it still had that musty elk smell to it. Definitely a unique fat though!

I'll bet you a crisp Benjamin my wife would not try it, even if I bribed her with a trip to Cancun! She loves game meat, but nothing crazy!

}}-SLIVER-->

Just don't tell her what it is till she's braggin on how good it is then drop the hammer!

>Just don't tell her what it
>is till she's braggin on
>how good it is then
>drop the hammer!

He might not want to sleep on the couch....just saying.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom