Elk loads for 30-06

K

kchamp

Planning an elk hunt in 2004 and would like some advice on loads. I shoot a Rem. 700 mountain rifle in 30-06 and am planning on loading 165-grain Partitions for my hunt. Will this loading be good on elk, if I limit the shots to 250yds. or less, or do I need to step up to 180's? I would like to shoot the 165's if possible, as recoil tends to start affecting me with the heavier loads.

i shoot 165's but not partitions. put as much H4831sc as you can get in it without jamming up your action and go for it. and don't limit yourself to 250 yds. that ol' '06 will shoot 400 easy. my favorite rifle is a .270, just cuz my dad says so, but probably the best all around is the '06. o'connor shot elephants with it. it'll work good on a little thing like an elk.

I've never heard that JOC shot elephants w/the '06. But, I have read his claim that had shot 6 or 8 grizzlies w/it.

I have a friend that uses 150's in his '06. I disagree w/it, but he has good success w/it. I also have a friend that uses 165's in his various 300 mags. His velocity is up over yours.
But I saw him knock down an elk at about 375 yds, w/no problem.

I use 150's in my 270 and don't believe that they have ever let me down.

SOOOOOOOO, 165's may or may not be the best bullet, but they will work just fine

I used 180's last year and they are all I trust when elk hunting.

Otherwise, I'd go with one size smaller then 180 and get it in the Barnes X or XLC.

If you like pet loads...

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

If your load shoots well in your rifle, use it with confidence. Your bullet choice is fine. I cleanly killed a nice 5 pt at 328 yards with Hornady's Light mag ammo in 180 gr. Don't ever let anyone tell you the '06 aint an elk gun.

i started using the 165's because that's the same bullet i use in my .300 and that way i don't have 2 different .30 cal. bullets laying around. and the 165 works great in either one. i like the extra velocity that the 165 will get over the 180. if a 150 is ok in a 7mm or .270, why won't it work in an '06?, and actually, i think the article i read, it was jack's wife eleanor that shot the elephant with the '06. used a 220 gr solid. karamojo bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 7x57. shot placement fellers, shot placement.

How do you like your M700 Mtn rifle? I'm looking seriously at one in either .270 or my old stand-by 30.06

How's recoil and accuracy?

I've shot several deer, elk and 2 buffalo with my .06 using 150 to 180 gr. Win Failsafe ammo. Zero complaints---complete penetration and exits = sure death in all accounts.

let me know how you do...

Recoil is not too bad(for a 30-06 that is), and I was surprised with the accuracy. All I've been told is that a light barrel is not accurate, then I showed them a 3 shot ragged hole at 100yds. My best group was just over 3/4" five shot group with 150 grain Ballistc tips. It is maybe a little more finicky with factory loads, but I have never tried anything that wouldn't shoot 1 1/2 inches or so if I did my part. I have mine topped with a 3x9x40 Leupold, and would not shoot anything else. I was shopping for a BDL model, but when I picked up the Mountain Rifle, it just felt great in my hands. That was about 16 years ago. Lot of deer have crossed paths with this little gun, and most of them were great on the grill wrapped in bacon. I don't think you will be dissapointed in one unless Remington's quality has really dropped off. kchamp

Partitions suck, do not expand enough. use 165 gr winchester silvertips, and personally i only use 180-220 gr for elk.

Later Yall!!!!
bucks.gif

I SOFA KING WE TALL DID!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom