Elk results???

I already have buyers remorse. Wish I wouldn’t have been stupid to front the money for a tag probably won’t get due to point creep.

1300 for a general? That’s your own fault. The problem with duck hunting is they taste like ****.

I hear if you soak the meat in milk for three days, put then put it in a marinade for three more, cook it on a cedar plank, then toss the meat and eat the plank, its "not that bad".

I'm with you, love shooting ducks, just can't handle eating them. My son just turned 12, so my duck hunting hiatus may be over. That is, until he eats one.

I use to not be a fan of duck eating until I changed my cooking ways. we have this idea and I think it comes from chicken that we must cook birds through and through...cook a mallard breast...I like to keep the skin on just like a elk steak...medium rare fantastic!!!

I use to not be a fan of duck eating until I changed my cooking ways. we have this idea and I think it comes from chicken that we must cook birds through and through...cook a mallard breast...I like to keep the skin on just like a elk steak...medium rare fantastic!!!
you keep the skin on an elk steak????....do you shave the hair off?

Last edited:
you keep the skin on an elk steak????
Oh man could you imagine if adventurewriter wrote a cookbook? The title could be as follows:
A little hair on top: the secret recipes for great steaks

hairy mouth: getting down on some meat.

feathers in yo mouth: the art to cooking a good duck ?

Of course and when we get back to the cave we just throw the whole thing on the bonfire

download (2).jpg

We've moved from duck to "here kitty kitty".
This is my kind of thread! LOL

Breast out the duck and salt brine over night.
Rinse and pat dry.
Cube into small chunks and brown in butter but only to rare.
Turn pan down way low and smoother in beef gravy.
Cook for 3.5-4 hour. Stir occasionally.
Serve over a bed of rice.
Add a nice tossed salad to keep the women-folk happy. Maybe add toasted French bread to the meal.
No one ever turns their nose up at this meal.

Zeke

I hear dogs will eat duck if you don't feed them for a few days first.
I shot a coot for a shorthair I had years ago for training purposes. He picked it up and brought it a few steps back towards me before spitting it out. At that point I usually had to about pry birds out of his mouth. Not that one.

All nonresidents now have until May 8 to modify or withdraw their applications.
I think I screwed up. I saw this thing about modifying applications and because I thought I had a good chance of drawing another elk tag, I wanted to change my application from special to regular full price. I deleted my application, but, now it will not let me reapply for full price. I just get greyed out box for full price elk. Has anyone tried to do this? Hope I have not screwed up my chances to buy a point at least. I am at max points now. Anyone know if I can reapply for elk for full price hunt, or is it now too late. Pretty sure I blew it. Thanks

Dam Paul,
Pretty sure you can't reapply on the web? Maybe call them Monday.
Yea, I think I totally screwed up. Will try to call just in case. Hope I can at least buy a point. at max and that would be a major screw up if I messed that up.

Also when you modify your app you can only change selections and not the price tag as they have already sold you the tag.

The only options you have are to modify a current app (changing hunt area or type), or withdraw. Once withdrawn, you can't go back and re-apply after the application period close date of Jan 31.
If you withdraw prior to the close of the app period, you can then reapply.

You figure they could give us options to go from regular fee to special fee or vice versa during the modification period. It's only fair since they decided to hold our money forever now.

You figure they could give us options to go from regular fee to special fee or vice versa during the modification period. It's only fair since they decided to hold our money forever now.
They have already took your money and verified funds. So if you went to special from regular they would have to verify funds again, since the special tag is much higher.
Making two app periods.

The only options you have are to modify a current app (changing hunt area or type), or withdraw. Once withdrawn, you can't go back and re-apply after the application period close date of Jan 31.
If you withdraw prior to the close of the app period, you can then reapply.
Bob, I got a couple calls in to the supervisor. So far she has not called me back. Had about 20% chance of drawing so trying to just reinstate the original app. Probably won't happen. the person that originally answered did not say no, so maybe there is a chance.

Bob, I got a couple calls in to the supervisor. So far she has not called me back. Had about 20% chance of drawing so trying to just reinstate the original app. Probably won't happen. the person that originally answered did not say no, so maybe there is a chance.
Awesome! ?

They reinstated it. Jennifer was the supervisor that helped me out. Nothing but good things to say about WY GF. My brain really is deteriorating. So my name should be on the top of the stack, so probably drew a elk tag in 100. LOL

Out of Curiosity what takes them so long to draw elk tags. Other States can do it in a month! not knocking them just wondering....................BULL!

Out of Curiosity what takes them so long to draw elk tags. Other States can do it in a month! not knocking them just wondering....................BULL!

Wyoming had to move the NR elk draw to after the quotas were set to follow the law. No more early NR elk draw. Make January the NR elk application period so outfitters can lock in clients. I imagine most NR aren't using a guide. Now we have to wait. Easy as pie!

Thats the least of my worries! And I am not wealthy. Dont let that detour you. If it does You should stay at home!..........BULL

At least Wyoming doesn't make you buy a non-refundable hunting license before you can apply for a tag. Just saying....

Wyoming is the most expensive state non refundable to apply for if applying for deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose, and goat as a non res.

I don’t care if they call it a license, preference point, app fee, convenience fee, etc.

There are benefits to some of the licenses since they allow you to actually do something (fish, shoot small game, etc). But I look at total out of pocket cost to apply and don’t discount a states license cost if it lets me shoot a grouse.

Have you applied in Nevada lately? I spent around $300+ there this year! Utah and Colo aren't much cheaper when you add up all the license, fee, and pref/bonus pt charges. $300 x 10 years is $3,000/state. If you pay $200 to $400/year to apply for multiple states (say 4 states) x 10 years that's $12,000. That doesn't even include the price of the license when drawn. I can do a heck of a lot of fun trips for $12,000 and there's the possibility of never drawing a tag!

The funny thing is it's not getting any cheaper as states continue to charge hunters more and more just to apply. The sad thing is states are losing young hunters to the sport because many parents can't afford to apply them for expensive tags with horrible draw odds.

If Wyo ever is stupid enough to go 90-10 or even 90-20 they will lose even more applicants! Many will toss their hands in the air and ask why apply when our tags just got sliced, draw odds sky-rocketed, and we have to pay so much to apply!

The Day is coming like Nevada when you draw a tag like elk and then a waiting period is mandatory for all big game

The funny thing is it's not getting any cheaper as states continue to charge hunters more and more just to apply. The sad thing is states are losing young hunters to the sport because many parents can't afford to apply them for expensive tags with horrible draw odds.

If Wyo ever is stupid enough to go 90-10 or even 90-20 they will lose even more applicants! Many will toss their hands in the air and ask why apply when our tags just got sliced, draw odds sky-rocketed, and we have to pay so much to apply!

Riiiiiight. Because there’s a lot of 12 year olds hunting out of state if prices were low. Sorry jims but with school and sports it’s not happening...

If Wyoming went to 90/10 all the non resident tags will still sell out. Fact. The ones that toss their hands in the air and quit will not be hunting WY only because of their decision not to. Fact.

It’s spring, beautiful outside. Get some fresh air and be thankful for what we still do have in 2020.

Happy Mother’s Day to all you guys that cry about the draw.

Have you applied in Nevada lately? I spent around $300+ there this year! Utah and Colo aren't much cheaper when you add up all the license, fee, and pref/bonus pt charges. $300 x 10 years is $3,000/state. If you pay $200 to $400/year to apply for multiple states (say 4 states) x 10 years that's $12,000. That doesn't even include the price of the license when drawn. I can do a heck of a lot of fun trips for $12,000 and there's the possibility of never drawing a tag!

If you apply in 4 states for multiple species, for 10 years, and don't draw multiple tags you should really rethink your application strategy.

Yep Nevada was a little over $300 to apply for 5 species in the regular draw, piw deer, and a few of the silver state tags. For my boy it cost me like $180ish since his license is less.

Just applying for sheep and moose in Wyoming is more expensive than that.

Slightlysober, I agree 100% that Wyo will sell every high demand tag available. The point I was trying to make is that there will be a loss rather than a gain of applicants which ultimately means a loss of revenue to Wyo. There will also be a loss of young applicants. Applicants that grow old enough once out of school to hunt but won't apply in Wyo or other states because they aren't vested with a bunch of pts and lost interest in hunting.

Happy Mother's Day everyone...both Wyo res and nonres!

Does WY ever release results early like NM?

Any chance of seeing results this week or is the 21st a better bet?

I was in for points the last few years as I had a good run of NM tags and had fall booked up by the time WY rolled around. No luck this year but should draw a WY tag if point creep stays similar to what it's been.

Does WY ever release results early like NM?

Any chance of seeing results this week or is the 21st a better bet?

I was in for points the last few years as I had a good run of NM tags and had fall booked up by the time WY rolled around. No luck this year but should draw a WY tag if point creep stays similar to what it's been.
I don't think WY has released results more than a day early in the past. They usually stick to their published date.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom