Elk Shed Help

801local

Hey guys! I would like to find an elk shed this year. I haven’t had a chance to scout and to be honest I have a really hard time finding elk. I know that WMA’s are closed in Utah. Anyway, I know that elk like south facing slopes and tend to drop around 7000-8000 ft. Outside of that I’m pretty clueless. I picked up a handful of deer sheds, but never an elk shed.

Anyway, just wondering if any retired shed hunters are willing to DM me a tip or two? I know that people get trashed on this site for asking for help, but I figure why not. I’m in Utah, but I’m willing to travel to Arizona as well. Anyway, just looking for some help. If so, cool! If not, no worries. Thank you.

Sounds like you have the right idea… I wouldn’t get too locked into those elevations though…. I have found elk sheds at 6500 ft and at 11000 ft. There are a lot of variables on historical places, recreational pressures, snow pack, especially around late Feb-early April. Also if it’s really warm out sometimes they drop in the timber. Good luck

Also I have never had a negative response for asking for help on this site in the form of tips and tactics…. I wouldn’t be surprised for guys giving chit when people ask for spots though

Awesome, thanks guys. Yeah, I thought about Nevada. I drew an LE tag for Pilot Mountain when I was younger. Maybe I’ll take a trip up there to check it out.

Like mentioned before don’t over look areas above and below your stated elevations.
Snow depth and temperatures have a huge impact on where they head that time of year when they drop. Also bulls don’t all drop at the same time. I went out today and every elk I saw was still packing.
What part of the state are you in

They are dropping in the north. Elevation 7800’.

F9C813D5-6E05-45D1-AF9B-931925184392.jpeg

You need to train your eyes to look for sheds, sounds simple but most of the time movement will catch your eye first. If you have access to a shed toss in a pile of bushes, then study looking at how the tines lay. Toss it tines up tines down facing towards you then away, so on and so on. Glass then glass some more, then one more time. Good luck.

Go find the bulls on the mountain, keep an eye on them and then find the sheds.. simple. Best way in finding them is to help yourself.
GL

This. No substitute for doing the work. 4 years ago I said Im gonna start shed hunting. So I started observing animals all winter, then I started finding lots of sheds. Also, learning the winter habits of the animals helps to piece the puzzle together. Where are they at, at any point during the year? how to they migrate, what routes do they use. Animals from X summer range wind up here for the winter. My success during hunting season has increased dramatically since I started shed hunting.

Since it's getting close to shed hunting season for 2024 I'll help keep this two year old thread alive.

Everything said about finding sheds I agree with but if you really want to get serious about it and want to find sheds often overlooked by others ---- get a good dog and train it.

number 1 tip. look down. seriously, that's the hardest thing for me. i was taught to walk through the woods looking up. i have literally stepped on them before i saw them...

number 1 tip. look down. seriously, that's the hardest thing for me. i was taught to walk through the woods looking up. i have literally stepped on them before i saw them...
You're 100 % right! I've done so much shed hunting over the years that each Fall I literally have to retrain my brain to go in the "hunt" mode. A dog also helps with going back in the "shed hunt" mode come spring.

I believe WMAs open on April 16th so you could access them at that time. The only elk sheds I've ever stumbled on was on a WMA.

You can also do what the unemployed do: go find the bulls before they drop, then sit on them every day until they do drop, then run up and grab the antlers, still bloody. Be sure to tell people that you "quietly moved in as the bulls eased their way out of the area". 🤣🤪😠

Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom