Elk Survey

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
Did anyone else get the elk survey? My oldest son got an email saying he was randomly selected to participate in the 15 minute survey regarding elk hunting in Utah and options being conidered for the new elk management plan.

Questions about whether you support shorter or more seasons, reducing age classifications for LE units, more primitive hunts, more any bull permits, general bull going to draw, moving rifle hunts out of the rut etc.

One of the questions asked if you had zero points and put in for Mt Dutton early rifle you'd have to wait 65 years to be in the max point pool (if no one else jumped in) Is this acceptable?
Follow up question - What do you consider an acceptable number of years to wait?

It would make more sense in my mind to give all sportsman a chance to weigh in with their thoughts but I guess not.

It's a case of be careful what you wish for. AZ did a survey 10 or so years ago. They slanted it to ask do you want more opportunity= tags or more quality=bigger bulls, fewer people? Well the unit I live in gets 1280 bull tags=spike hunt, and the unit next door gets a few hundred=huge bulls. The problem is you get drawn maybe once in your lifetime. Personally. I believe they wanted to sell more tags for the money. AZ G$F.

Last edited:
Survey science says they need roughly 500 responses to get a baseline that’s 99% accurate. So sending it to everyone is counter productive.

It absolutely is pointed at gauging public sentiment regarding the realities of LE hunting opportunities with the intent being to provide the committee with the ammunition to move aggressively in whatever direction the survey points. We assume it will be for more opportunity.

I’m not ok with the LE system. Do not wish to see it continue.

Survey science says they need roughly 500 responses to get a baseline that’s 99% accurate. So sending it to everyone is counter productive.

It absolutely is pointed at gauging public sentiment regarding the realities of LE hunting opportunities with the intent being to provide the committee with the ammunition to move aggressively in whatever direction the survey points. We assume it will be for more opportunity.

I’m not ok with the LE system. Do not wish to see it continue.
Go read the comments section on the UDWR Facebook posts. There’s a lot of stupid people out there without any clue or experience with how things work commenting. These people are also “hunters”. These are the types of people who are getting the surveys. I am NOT ok with these “random” surveys regarding topics that are very important to many of us, being answered by those types of morons.

Just like the RAC recommendations, where only 6 people comment and send it, they need to open these surveys up to all sportsmen. Given past participation results, I’m certain they won’t be flooded with responses

Go read the comments section on the UDWR Facebook posts. There’s a lot of stupid people out there without any clue or experience with how things work commenting. These people are also “hunters”. These are the types of people who are getting the surveys. I am NOT ok with these “random” surveys regarding topics that are very important to many of us, being answered by those types of morons.

Just like the RAC recommendations, where only 6 people comment and send it, they need to open these surveys up to all sportsmen. Given past participation results, I’m certain they won’t be flooded with responses
Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is precisely those people who have been marginalized and ignored in favor of the the invested hunter. That’s what got us into this mess in the first place, a small group of hunters that thought they were ‘trophy’ guys who preferred their own utopia and justified it by saying they ‘knew better’ then the regular joe.

Those ‘idiots’ in the comments just want to hunt. They value a tag and a traditional deer/elk camp experience way more than seeing big animals or being successful. They deserve a voice, even if they aren’t willing/able/clued in enough to use it.

But Remember When I Said The Point System Wouldn't Work?

Well!

Here The Hell We Are!

I Can Only Wait For The Day They Try & Take Our Points Away!

It'll Make PUNKS TAKE THE SMOKEPOLE SCOPES Thread Look Like a Wet Dream!

Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is precisely those people who have been marginalized and ignored in favor of the the invested hunter. That’s what got us into this mess in the first place, a small group of hunters that thought they were ‘trophy’ guys who preferred their own utopia and justified it by saying they ‘knew better’ then the regular joe.

Those ‘idiots’ in the comments just want to hunt. They value a tag and a traditional deer/elk camp experience way more than seeing big animals or being successful. They deserve a voice, even if they aren’t willing/able/clued in enough to use it.

I got the survey also, I like how they basically ask the same question multiple times. subtle changes in wording.

Maybe it was just me, but it almost felt like the guys and gals that wrote up the survey wanted questions answered to fit ideals of a predetermined scope. Not the thoughts of the public.

I got the survey also, I like how they basically ask the same question multiple times. subtle changes in wording.

Maybe it was just me, but it almost felt like the guys and gals that wrote up the survey wanted questions answered to fit ideals of a predetermined scope. Not the thoughts of the public.
Literally said this survey was designed to gauge public sentiment regarding the LE system specifically. The questions are very targeted, and we aren’t looking for the answers per say but the feelings and sentiments driving them.

For example, if there is broad consensus answering the similarly worded questions it points to strong support of the general ideal rooted in the answer. But if the answers come back scattered across those questions it suggests that the surveyed aren’t quite as rooted as strongly. The committee is looking not so much for the answers as they are the direction to go with the next elk plan. Be it status quo or aggressive changes

But Remember When I Said The Point System Wouldn't Work?

Well!

Here The Hell We Are!

I Can Only Wait For The Day They Try & Take Our Points Away!

It'll Make PUNKS TAKE THE SMOKEPOLE SCOPES Thread Look Like a Wet Dream!

So a lot of whining and crying, then the realization that you played a $10 lotto ticket each year?

I received the survey. I agree with Jake on it. I did recommend moving the rifle hunt to mid October 5 day hunt that starts on a Tuesday.

“Follow up question - What do you consider an acceptable number of years to wait?”

I didn’t get the survey but for me this depends on the quality opportunity. What kind of bulls would I be chasing? I wouldn’t want to wait very long to chase small bulls around but am willing to wait a long time for big ones.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I hopped on here to ask who got the survey. Surveys can be manipulated to get any outcome you want and I felt like they didn't ask some important questions.

In the comment section I addressed three things.
1-GET THE RIFLE HUNT OUT OF THE RUT! PUT THE ARCHERY HUNT DURING PEAK RUT EVEN IF THE SEASON IS SHORTENED TO TWO WEEKS. PUT THE RIFLE HUNTS DURING THE HARDEST TIMES TO HUNT ELK.

2-RESTRICT WEAPON TECHNOLOGY ACROSS THE BOARD WITH ALL WEAPON TYPES! SUCCESS RATES ARE TOO HIGH!

3-DON'T MESS WITH THE DRAW SYSTEM IF IT IS GOING TO NEGATIVELY AFFECT PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN PUTTING IN FOR YEARS ACQUIRING POINTS. GET MAX POINT HOLDERS THROUGH THE SYSTEM FASTER.

But Will They Listen To You Bob?

I'm glad I saw this thread because I hopped on here to ask who got the survey. Surveys can be manipulated to get any outcome you want and I felt like they didn't ask some important questions.

In the comment section I addressed three things.
1-GET THE RIFLE HUNT OUT OF THE RUT! PUT THE ARCHERY HUNT DURING PEAK RUT EVEN IF THE SEASON IS SHORTENED TO TWO WEEKS. PUT THE RIFLE HUNTS DURING THE HARDEST TIMES TO HUNT ELK.

2-RESTRICT WEAPON TECHNOLOGY ACROSS THE BOARD WITH ALL WEAPON TYPES! SUCCESS RATES ARE TOO HIGH!

3-DON'T MESS WITH THE DRAW SYSTEM IF IT IS GOING TO NEGATIVELY AFFECT PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN PUTTING IN FOR YEARS ACQUIRING POINTS. GET MAX POINT HOLDERS THROUGH THE SYSTEM FASTER.

It's a case of be careful what you wish for. AZ did a survey 10 or so years ago. They slanted it to ask do you want more opportunity= tags or more quality=bigger bulls, fewer people? Well the unit I live in gets 1280 bull tags=spike hunt, and the unit next door gets a few hundred=huge bulls. The problem is you get drawn maybe once in your lifetime. Personally. I believe they wanted to sell more tags for the money. AZ G$F.
There is no bad unit in AZ and the reason there is 1280 bull tags is that the heard is massive, and so is the unit. To say “bull tags=spike hunt” is laughable.

I got the survey…..

Very poorly worded for the Sportsman.

Well-written for the other side with an agenda.

All the survey did for me was provide a glimps into the future of Utah hunts…..looking grim.

I never got the survey. But here are my 2 cents.

Keep all the units as is NOW. Change dates. Make all units a draw, like most other states. LE and GS, make 1 draw, 1 point system for cow, spike, GS unit, LE unit. If there are left overs, either do a draw for them, or as is now for when GS permits go on sale. So if cow tags are available, or spike or whatever, and cost no points.

Archery elk, Sept 1-21 and increase tag #'s
Muzzy (primitive style) Sept 25-Oct 5. increase tag #'s
ALW/Rifle/LR muzzys ;) Oct 10-20.eventually increase #'s

And be do with all hunts for elk From Dec 1 until next year.
Be done will all deer hunts by Nov 15 until the next season. Give the animals some time to eat and put on weight for winter.

Like I said, my 2 cents.

There is no bad unit in AZ and the reason there is 1280 bull tags is that the heard is massive, and so is the unit. To say “bull tags=spike hunt” is laughable.
20miles by 40 miles. It's only 22 north, not all of 22. I live in Payson and you're laughable to believe it's more than a raghorn hunt. More spikes than raghorns. The G$F does not use any game management data only hunter opinion surveys to determine the tag #s. There are not 1280 bull elk in unit 22 north period. I was standing next to the WM for unit 23 at a G$F meeting and he told me, he and other WMs kid the 22 WM about his "spike hunt".

Last edited:
20miles by 40 miles. It's only 22 north, not all of 22. I live in Payson and you're laughable to believe it's more than a raghorn hunt. More spikes than raghorns. The G$F does not use any game management data only hunter opinion surveys to determine the tag #s. There are not 1280 bull elk in unit 22 north period. I was standing next to the WM for unit 23 at a G$F meeting and he told me, he and other WMs kid the 22 WM about his "spike hunt".
Glass them from the top, seen giants go back and forth in those half a million acres.

Just spent the last 2 months glassing from the top for the archery spring bear hunt, Saw 2 or 3 bears every day. Got 1 bear. And zero giant bulls. Not going to bother with this anymore. You know more than me.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom