elk Unit 007 with a bow

elkhuntn247

So Im lookin into putting in for this unit. I have max points, and an ok chance of drawing if that. any info about this hunt? access? Private land? animal numbers, and quality?
looking to shoot a 5pt or bigger.

Thanks!

Elkhuntn - There are probably more threads on here about unit 7 than any other unit in Wyo. Do a search in this forum and in the Elk forum and you'll get a bunch of info. To make a long story short : Big unit, lots of elk, lots of nice bulls, a fair amount of public but access can be a challenge, increase in tags has increased the pressure significantly on the public land - especially in archery season. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Yes the pressure is there, but lots and lots of elk, many big bulls still roam the area. Just get off the road a ways and have fun! There would be many to sway you else where because the big boys still roam there. If you have the points to draw then why not do it! Archives should show you a few monsters taken from that area. No major predator problem like some other areas, but there is also some private property in the area, however, look at the size of the unit, plenty of public land.

I also beleive some people over hype the pressure and public/private problems. Look at 2008 succes rate around 70%. I really doubt they were all taken on private.

It's a tuff draw but i think it's one of the best units in Wy. Goodluck to you!

7 Mag

Well my friends want me to waste my points along with them on a general tag... cause they are sick of waiting... But I think Im going to take my chances with unit 7... If I dont draw I will still have a UT tag and will draw MT

I wouldn't waste my points on a general tag, that would defeat the purpose of putting in for & paying for the max points you have. One point no problem but not max, just my opinion.

7 Mag

Yeah that what Im saying. Idk if WY is anything like the UT draw where youth have better odds then adults? but Im 17 so maybe that will help? idk WY draw system very well

Had multiple oppurtunities with Elk Mountain outfitters last year. Just didn't get it done. Killed an ok whitetail on the last day though.

Saw LOTS of elk with them, mostly private land access, hunted 1st week of sept.

Bill

Like your research will tell you, unless you can scout ALOT or plan on hiring an outfitter I wouldnt go to unit 7. If you have alot of time or money definitely do it. Gary

Looking to hunt with Elk Mountain Outfitters for elk if I can ever draw the tag. How did elk hunting look. They said that unit 11 is also a good unit that they hunt in. Any info would help.

Going to unit 7 is like any other good unit for the first time, contact as many past hunters, etc. before going!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom